webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > From 4s to Palm Pre
From 4s to Palm Pre
  Reply
Like Tree9Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/29/2012, 06:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I have my pre2 (frankenpre) in my hand trying to make a list of bugs.

1. Pdf
2. Messaging sometimes lag. Don't know if its a bug because I never delete texts messages
3. Browser sometimes all pages go blank and sometimes I get checker board on the side. Really strange. This is using universe, can't recall if stock browser ever did that.
4. Maps suck in general

Can't think of anything else right now
Stock browser does that more often than I'd like.
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 11/29/2012, 09:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Stock browser does that more often than I'd like.
Also the gray bar at the bottom
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 10:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
PalmPixi_User23's Avatar
 
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Stock browser does that more often than I'd like.
Well, I hate to ask this questions when it's not related to this topic...however since we talking about the WebOS browsers. Have anyone taken notice on the differences(when pages load) with the HP TouchPad browser and WebOS phones lately ? That's not saying that WebOS browser is not any good at all, just that on my Pre 2 it has been taking me into mobile sites(instead of the desktop web sites). And while doing some experiments with TouchPad and Pre 2, some sites loads better on the TouchPad while on my phone it gave me a blank page or it never loads at all.

Are TouchPad 3.0 and WebOS 2.0 engines different aren't they running on the same webkit engines ?
__________________
Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 04:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 101
I have to admit I have totally given up using my Pre2 for the web.

It's pathetically outclassed even by a cheap current Android.

I would say to anyone considering buying any Pre/WebOS phone, do so only out of curiosity. Then toss it in the drawer and forget about it.

Do not consider it your primary phone.

I still use mine as my primary but thats because I cant justify the cost of a new phone (and I want a decent one). I have even deleted most of the apps I installed as I just don't use them.

It's okay just as a phone and for texting but even then the phones wireless capabilities for calls is pretty weak.

After 18 months of ownership I would say nice but flawed and no surprise that it got left behind.
daglesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 07:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
I have to admit I have totally given up using my Pre2 for the web.

It's pathetically outclassed even by a cheap current Android.

I would say to anyone considering buying any Pre/WebOS phone, do so only out of curiosity. Then toss it in the drawer and forget about it.

Do not consider it your primary phone.

I still use mine as my primary but thats because I cant justify the cost of a new phone (and I want a decent one). I have even deleted most of the apps I installed as I just don't use them.

It's okay just as a phone and for texting but even then the phones wireless capabilities for calls is pretty weak.

After 18 months of ownership I would say nice but flawed and no surprise that it got left behind.
Actually I will never throw my pre2 in a drawer and get an android phone. It is not perfect but it runs circles around any android phone for ease of use.

For what I need to do it's perfect and it feels good in my hand.

PS. I have friend who tried to sell me a barely used evo. You may be interested. $100 USD
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 07:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
By the way, although I have pointed out some flaws with the webos browser, I am not saying its unusable.

I use it every day and there is nothing, I mean NOTHING that comes close to the satisfaction of web browsing with a webos phone when you bring stacks into the picture. And I use all the latest phones daily (except windows)

I read a lot of forums and its just more efficient to use a webos phone popping off the threads I want to follow in a new card and have them stacked together. Ditto for google search

We have some very talented developers like dkirker working on some improvements and we should support them with donations and buying their apps.

I understand that some may want a bigger screen and 4g speed, and they should move on to something that suits them better.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 07:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 101
With regards to ease of web use on say a Pre2 or lets say a current top tier Android phone I could not disagree more.

Having to look at the web on Pre2 is like looking at it through a keyhole. Painful. All the gestures and swiping in the world isn't going to help the first fundamental flaw the Pre2 has with web use - Looking at it.

If you want to use the web and still use gestures then get a Playbook. It stomps on the Pre as a web device from orbit.
daglesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 08:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
With regards to ease of web use on say a Pre2 or lets say a current top tier Android phone I could not disagree more.

Having to look at the web on Pre2 is like looking at it through a keyhole. Painful. All the gestures and swiping in the world isn't going to help the first fundamental flaw the Pre2 has with web use - Looking at it.

If you want to use the web and still use gestures then get a Playbook. It stomps on the Pre as a web device from orbit.
You bought a pre2 only to discover that the screen is small? Didnt they have bigger phones at the time? I am not sure if the evo the first 4" was out at the time but the iphone and some droids sure was.

Anyways I am sure the OP is aware of the screen size and wants to experience what webos is like. So let him try it, it's not like he or she is not aware of the giant phones out there, they just don't run webos.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 08:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 101
I didn't buy the Pre2 primarily for web use, just the occasional frustrating glimpse if on the move.

Primarily I wanted it for email on the go and a few other things which it did admirably.

Plus as hardly no one bought one in the UK, it was really cheap!

However, in the time since the Pre2 came out mobile web has moved on and it just fails as a easily usable internet device IMO. It was adequate back then but now....nope. Sometimes if I'm out with my Gf and we need to look something up we used to try to see how quick each of us could do it on our phones. She has a Galaxy Note.

Often she had the info ready and done before I had loaded the header bar on my Pre2. Then trying to navigate a large page of dense info...forget it. I would put the Pre2 back in my pocket. The browser doesn't cut it anymore let alone the punishing screen size.

However, if you feel different then by all means carry on zooming and waiting...and zooming and waiting and zooming.......

WebOS was great, maybe even the best phone OS ever. But it failed. I'll say it again...it failed. I just don't believe sitting in denial about it helps.

Last edited by daglesj; 11/30/2012 at 08:46 AM.
daglesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 09:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
I didn't buy the Pre2 primarily for web use, just the occasional frustrating glimpse if on the move.

Primarily I wanted it for email on the go and a few other things which it did admirably.

Plus as hardly no one bought one in the UK, it was really cheap!

However, in the time since the Pre2 came out mobile web has moved on and it just fails as a easily usable internet device IMO. It was adequate back then but now....nope. Sometimes if I'm out with my Gf and we need to look something up we used to try to see how quick each of us could do it on our phones. She has a Galaxy Note.

Often she had the info ready and done before I had loaded the header bar on my Pre2. Then trying to navigate a large page of dense info...forget it. I would put the Pre2 back in my pocket. The browser doesn't cut it anymore let alone the punishing screen size.

However, if you feel different then by all means carry on zooming and waiting...and zooming and waiting and zooming.......

WebOS was great, maybe even the best phone OS ever. But it failed. I'll say it again...it failed. I just don't believe sitting in denial about it helps.
How you gonna compare a pre2 to a playbook and galaxy note niether of which are phones. Like I said, the OP want to check out webos phone, so I recommend a pre2
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 10:02 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 820
I'd personally keep 4s.
If you must go to webOS, go for Pre3, not Pre2.
But as others have said, there's practically zero apps.
I moved on to Android and not having to worry about apps (or lack of) is great. it's so automatic - if there's an app being developed, it will for sure be released on iphone and android.
That being said, if/when webOS comes back and is ready for primetime, I'll happily switch back. I do miss it. We all know that it's the best OS out there.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 11:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Loiter's Avatar
 
Posts: 681
I love my Pre2, but it's not a love without its flaws.
If you come from an ecosystem full of apps and relatively few bugs (like iOS) then webOS will not be the best thing.
The OS is great, fun and I'm still not bored by it.
I sometimes envy the apps of Android and iOS (although I'm not an app freak, but webOS really has very few good ones), their nice screens and the smoothness of iOS (in Android this happens only in expensive phones)
I like the webOS calendar, I like the mail client, I like my twitter client, I don't like the browser (but you can get used to it). I love the Foursquare app, we now have WhatsApp, the messaging is cool. I use it as an everyday tool and I'm happy with it.
I learned to live with its flaws and I still love its good things.
I'll be probably moving in other OSes in 2013 as I'll get in my 3rd year with the Pre2 however I still don't know where to go. WPs are still not good, I detest Apple and I don't like the huge Android phones. Maybe BB10? Who knows. But webOS will still be in my heart.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 and PalmPixi_User23 like this.
Old 11/30/2012, 01:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
Galaxy Note is a phone. The tablets are the 7 to 10 inch versions.

Playbook isnt a phone granted but uses the same types of gestures/swipes and multitasking. It just does the web much much better than a Pre2.
To me a phone is easily and comfortably operated with one hand. So to me note is not a phone, gs3 is on the border.

I won't even comment on playbook
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 05:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,335
Having used the SGS3 for about 3 months now, your argument with using the browser and stacks being easier, I really can't agree with that. It's actually as easy or easier to flip around between 16 open Web pages in either the stock browser or Chrome. I've included a screenshot so you can see what it looks like. In the process of doing this, I've discovered I can add attachments to my post.... right now.. directly from my phone, something I could only do from any webOS phone IF I uploaded it to say Photobucket, then copied the IMG code and then came back and pasted into this block of text. That was a bit of work, whereas here it's like I'm using my desktop.

I can also switch pages just by swiping left to right, or right to left.... Similar to Advanced Gestures.

3 months with this "BIG" phone, I could go even bigger now to be honest. I use this phone quite often with one hand, unless I'm in a typing frenzy... I quite often used two hands with all my Pres, so I don't feel like I'm using two hands, when I do, because the phone is too big.... It's just how I've always typed.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2012-11-30-16-35-33.png (304.4 KB, 32 views) Email Attachment
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 12:17 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Having used the SGS3 for about 3 months now, your argument with using the browser and stacks being easier, I really can't agree with that. It's actually as easy or easier to flip around between 16 open Web pages in either the stock browser or Chrome. I've included a screenshot so you can see what it looks like. In the process of doing this, I've discovered I can add attachments to my post.... right now.. directly from my phone, something I could only do from any webOS phone IF I uploaded it to say Photobucket, then copied the IMG code and then came back and pasted into this block of text. That was a bit of work, whereas here it's like I'm using my desktop.

I can also switch pages just by swiping left to right, or right to left.... Similar to Advanced Gestures.

3 months with this "BIG" phone, I could go even bigger now to be honest. I use this phone quite often with one hand, unless I'm in a typing frenzy... I quite often used two hands with all my Pres, so I don't feel like I'm using two hands, when I do, because the phone is too big.... It's just how I've always typed.
But if you go bigger it won't be a phone any more. I mean if a vehicle reaches a certain height we can just go ahead and call it truck. No?

And we can stop comparing them to traditional phones. Palm was betting that there was still people who wanted a phone that can do some browsing and and Ruby said as much when they introduced the veer. But it looks like the trend is toward mini tablets that also can be used as a phone.

So can we please stop with the pre bashing because of its size, it is what it is. Its like getting a new truck and all of a sudden cars are useless. Some people still like cars, some have both.

So the OP wants to check out this webos business, let him do it. I recommend the pre2 because its cheaper than the pre3 and not as small as the veer hence closer to the iphone S he is used to.

I prefer stacks to any thing I have seen on any phone. As for advanced gestures, I seldom use it because I an never sure which way to go. But when it really shines is like when I am on a phone call for example and have to refer to something else say some notes in my contacts and such

I really enjoy these discussions, reminds me of the old days. Something to do instead of gloom and doom all the time
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 12/01/2012, 06:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Loiter's Avatar
 
Posts: 681
No they are not out of date. They still do most of things you need.
And please stop thinking that your needs is everyone's needs. A decent web experience comes with a netbook or a tablet. That's 7'' at least (although 7'' is just not good for me). People fool themselves in trying to say "Yeah, my Note is perfect". No it's not. It's better than a small Pre, an iPhone and a SGI, II, III. Still the screen is tiny compared to your laptop and PC.

There is a trend for people to get devices with larger screens. OK I get it. The bigger, the better. So what will be the limit? iPhone users kept saying that 3.8" is perfect and that what Steve said.
But then the Android guys came and said, OK we have 4'' is perfect.
Then 4.3" became the golden standard. Now we have 4,6-4,8" and monstrosities like the Note.
So what next? Maybe tether my Touchpad to my Pre2 and tie it around my head so I can make my calls from there?
Each person has its needs. For me (for example) my need is to have a phone that notifies me about everything and is easy to carry around. I can post in FB, tweet etc, I'd never dream of using Office like applications in a touchscreen. I'll go to my PC or laptop to do this.
Unfortunately the trends now will make me get another phone which will be at least 4''.
For you maybe 4.5'' is what you need. It would be good if there were choices for everyone. Unfortunately the manufacturers think that their huge phones should have the best specs.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 06:44 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
Chap, let it go. :-)

The Pre family of phones are out classed and out of date period. If you use some of the new phones out there and then go back to the Pre it really is frustrating for anything but phone calls.

If using a Pre is all you know then fine but once you move on up you find you were flogging a dead horse.

When you are trying to do a lot of the things folks want to do with media and the web, size really does matter.

You can't not comment that size is a real limiting factor with the Pre family. It's the 500lb gorilla in the room when it comes to usability.

At first I loved the small cute size of the Pre2 and I still like its form factor for holding and general cutesyness. But trying to use it as a practical web device in 2012/13...nah. You need the space to make a decent web experience.

Now had HP carried on and slapped WebOS on a SG3 class of device........
I said I use all of the new phones daily except windows phones. Gs2, Gs3 and note, iphone4 and 5. I like the Gs3 the least out of all of them because it's the most uncomfortable one to use and it does not look good to me especially the white one. The one with the kinda blue color not too bad.

But you have to realize that not everyone needs all that stuff you are talking about. I can see Sledge being in love with that type of device because I believe he uses it for business and the bigger the better for him. Me I prefer to do the things I do the most with a webos phone. I use a phone and a laptop for heavy lifting, I have a touchpad which is mostly used to play music and as an alarm clock even tho I always install the latest lunaCE build.

By the way I found another bug with my pre2. I tried to view Sledge's attachment above and all I got is a big X. I guess it doesn't like png files. Bet if it was one of the new phones I wouldn't have that problem, but I can deal with it.

The real gorilla to me is not size but 4G/LTE
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 08:08 AM   #38 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,335
I just clicked on the image and it appeared on my desktop. Try it again, might have been a temporary glitch. For the record, I was NOT bashing the size of the Pre If it works for you, great! I think all I was trying to get at was, it did feel big at first, but having adjusted over the last few months, I'm pretty comfortable with one-handed use, as well as simple things like making phone calls. It doesn't feel too big for me anymore, other people's phones look too small to me now, that's all

You bring up another excellent point. LTE is absolutely fantastic...I average 30Mbps although I have peaked just under 50. I could never use a non-LTE phone again, I don't care what anyone tells you. In the city here, we have excellent coverage, but quite often I am being sent out of the city, even to areas with ZERO coverage (that happens when you live next to the Rocky Mountains), and so I am forced (kicking and screaming) to switch over to HSPA+ and it is very, very slow in comparison.

It is a personal phone, not a business phone, fyi...although there are several things I do use my phone for work. Simple things that I could use a Pre3 for, and some that I wouldn't be able to use my Pre3.

Calculator, GPS (which I use mostly for estimating when I'm going to be somewhere, or finding out traffic problems) I actually use a third party app called CoPilot GPS, as it is non-carrier signal dependant. Having a camera that opens almost instantly is really nice as well, and probably the biggest thing I truly like about this phone. Along with all the photo editing options. An app called Voxer is another thing I use quite frequently that isn't available for webOS, (nothing similar either) It's a push-to-talk app. I use it just about as often as I text, for both at work and not.

Another use I'm "hoping" to get out of it is the WiSpi Controller app. I have the app pre-downloaded and I've mentioned it SEVERAL times to those that need it to be mentioned to that "I HAVE BEEN A GOOD BOY ALL YEAR AND I want a WiSpi Chopper for Christmas!" (Available at The Source) Feel free to PM me if you need my address
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 12:31 PM   #39 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
Erm all I've really mentioned is the fact that IMO, for web browsing, the Pre family is pretty poor and will get progressively worse over the next 12 months. If you don't need web then why are you looking at a smartphone?...
Obviously, your mileage varies from others experiences.

I use a Veer everyday. I understand it isn't for everyone with its 2.6" screen.

It's a phone. I use it for communications. I make calls, send SMS text. I need a physical QWERTY. No, a giant slab phone VKB is not the same - real estate be hanged. I've used VKB on a 10" tablet and, you know what, it still does not work for me. I didn't say want a physical QWERTY, I said need. I meant it and know whereof I speak from real life trial and error. VKB absolutely ruins any user experience for me if I need to input more than 10 characters at a time.

On a 2.6" screen I can look up facts on Google. I send and receive eMails. I can browse posts on a forum. I can shop and compare prices. I can look up directions on Google Maps (mad props to 72ka there... what what). I can listen to music off the internal storage or streaming from the interwebz. I play an occasional game on it.

It is not a multimedia entertainment powerhouse - I have a TV, a streaming set top box, a game platform, a vhs/dvd player. I don't expect any of those to fulfill all the functions of the other ones. Devices are function specific. Insisting a phone replace all the above is unrealistic.

It's a phone. It's not a tablet, a netbook, a laptop, a PC... Demanding it function just as well as those in their specific arena of expertise isn't realistic either.

Not everyone wants a phone that is a tablet, a TV, a netbook, a streaming box, a laptop, a game platform, a PC and a vhs/dvd recorder-player...

Some people just want a phone.
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 01:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
Well that's easy then. Just buy a $70 Nokia.

Even better phone experience than a Pre. Battery will last longer too.
LOL... The Nokia I want goes for a bit more than $70. Again, I use it for other functions I just don't expect it to replace a tablet, etc.

BTW my battery lasts me 3-4 days on average. I got 'er tweaked.
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0