webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Strange battery issues...
Strange battery issues...

Old 11/24/2012, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hello. I've had my unlocked GSM pre 2 on straight talk for a while, (since july of this year) and never had any battery problems. About 2 days ago, my pre 2 started acting funny. I put it on the touchstone to charge overnight, and in the morning, it was only half charged, and my battery that used to last for days now barely lasts 3 hours. I haven't installed any patches recently, so does anyone have any ideas?
Old 11/24/2012, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Does the battery charge all of the way?

Have you tried pulling and reseating the battery? Cleaning the contacts (with a dab of rubbing alcohol)?
Old 11/24/2012, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
Does the battery charge all of the way?

Have you tried pulling and reseating the battery? Cleaning the contacts (with a dab of rubbing alcohol)?
What do you mean by reseating the battery? Do you mean reset?
Old 11/24/2012, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

No, I mean reseat. As in pull it out and put it back in.
Old 11/24/2012, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ok, I have tried that. If it doesn't work After this, I'll have to just buy a new battery.
Old 11/24/2012, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Could you try my charge manager? If you can set up wireless Novacom and run the app you can monitor charging stats from your computer. Link is in my SIG.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Could you try my charge manager? If you can set up wireless Novacom and run the app you can monitor charging stats from your computer. Link is in my SIG.
Very cool program, I just downloaded it.
Old 11/26/2012, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Unless you have your phone set to have it's radios active (WIFI and BlueTooth) when they aren't in range, this can seriously suck the power.

I have a new BlueTooth headset (stereo) that I use for music, with which I listen to music with my Touchpad. I had connected it with my phone (but still using it with my Touchpad) and within a few hours, it had sucked my battery dry. Just that it had been paired to it, I believe that it was trying to communicate with the headset and since the headset was communicating with the Touchpad for the music, it made my phone "yell at it".

I unpaired it (removed it from the phone), but found that as long as it's within range of this headset, it kills the battery. So now I turn off BT on my phone when I listen to music via my touchpad with these headphones.

So.. I'd say, check if you might have something similar that might have been added in your environment... a WIFI network/router, some BT devices... anything that might be pinging the phone.

This includes checking if you might have some settings that's changed.. the GPS (should be off unless using apps that need it), and having your account updates (emails) set too high.

As far as I know, the battery will get sapped faster depending on the connection it's got to either your provider (cell phone tower being too far), WIFI and BT devices.

So unless you have downloaded a new App that might be running in the background.... I've personally notice a difference with my Pre2 lately after I downloaded a few games, Monopoly being the worse one that makes me wonder the most. Don't know why, but only since I've installed this game, did I notice my battery going dead a lot faster than before.

Otherwise, after 2 years, the battery might just have kicked the bucket and a new one needed.

Tags
battery, pre 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0