webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > New webos/pre2 user
New webos/pre2 user

Old 11/22/2012, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello everyone,

I just bought a palm pre2 (verizon) to replace a broken android. Although the reason I bought the pre2 was because it was $65, I love it.

Webos is amazing and so much better than my android, I am really sad that there isn't an updated Webos phone available.

Overall I am very happy with the phone... Here are some questions that I have

1. The supplied headphones have a button along with the mic. Can I initiate voice control via this? What is the button for?
2. When the music player etc are playing something and the screen is locked, i se pause/next buttons but cannot control them. Is it possible? Why are the controls there?

Thanks
Raakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome!

Now if only everyone like you had a chance to experience webOS, HP's stupidity in canceling the project would be truly exposed.

Hope you enjoy your stay here and maybe even explore the Homebrew goodness that the community offers, hundreds of functionality patches and the many unofficial apps that are available only through the Preware catalog.

As for the button on the back side of the microphone, i haven't tested to see what it does on the Pre, however on my Nokia N900 (that phone is a "hacker special" and not a mass-market device) i have used it a couple of times to hang up during a phone call. I would imagine it can also start a call if a phone number is already entered, but i won't know until i try it on either device.

I've only streamed music from YouTube (different app) so i'm not really sure why the music player's controls show up on a locked screen. Must have been part of some functionality that was planned by Palm but abandoned as their financial resources dried up... there's a dozen things like that
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raakshas View Post
Hello everyone,

Overall I am very happy with the phone... Here are some questions that I have

1. The supplied headphones have a button along with the mic. Can I initiate voice control via this? What is the button for?
2. When the music player etc are playing something and the screen is locked, i se pause/next buttons but cannot control them. Is it possible? Why are the controls there?

Thanks
Welcome to WebOS(the operating system that was once great, but HP came and destroyed it all with their incompetence)...

Hope you enjoy your Palm Pre 2, its a nice phone for that cheap price you bought it online. Let me answer those questions that you have about your new phone, the headphones that came on box with your phone that includes a microphone lets you activate voice dial(there's no voice control like you find on iOS or Android) and you can control music playback with the remote mic as well. With the headphone with remote and mic when you are playing music, you click once on the remote and you will play/pause that current song you are listening on your Pre and double-clicking on it will skip the song you listening to the next one.

And also you can answer calls and end them with the simple click on the remote on the headphones. Hope that I answered all the questions...
Old 11/26/2012, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

Remy X
I have already installed preware and am enjoying the homebrew goodness.

PalmPixi_User23
Thanks for the tip on using the microphone button for controlling the audio player. It works very well.
Raakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raakshas View Post
Thanks for the replies.

PalmPixi_User23
Thanks for the tip on using the microphone button for controlling the audio player. It works very well.
You very welcome '' Raakshas'', and we are glad that our answers helped you with your new Palm phone. Please, do take into consideration that if you have any further questions regarding your Palm Pre 2 or homebrew community....head on back to this great WebOS forums. I'm sure there's hundreds of posters will be able to help you further(with more knowledge than me) about homebrew.
Old 11/26/2012, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Push the thing: Play/Pause
Hold: Voice Dial
Double-Tap: Skip

it's become standard among devices, I was surprised to see my Pre respond to the same button-presses as my iPod.

The music notification controls are pressable when at the lock screen, try spamming it a bit.

There actually was an updated webOS phone released just as the hammer fell. (albeit not officially in the US though) creatively called the Pre 3. But it's relative rarity helps to jack up the price far above $65 though.
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
Push the thing: Play/Pause
Hold: Voice Dial
Double-Tap: Skip

it's become standard among devices, I was surprised to see my Pre respond to the same button-presses as my iPod.
Yeah, I was surprised too as well....when my palm phone responded the same commands as when I use my headphones with my iPod Touch. And even tapping on the remote button three times goes back to the previous song you were currently listening as well. And if you have an incoming call on your phone just keep your fingers pressed on the remote button(for a few sec) and your Pre ignores the call. cool huh
Old 11/26/2012, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here. We are a small but passionate group. Spread the word and share what you have experienced. With any luck, we'll see more good stuff from Open webOS and webOS CE to keep you (and everyone else) interested.
monday206am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome!

Since the others have already answered your question, I'll just add... get some Bluetooth stereo headphones... well worth it to go wireless.

I've seen a few threads about how the physical plug of the Pre can get stuck, so I've limited my using it in case. But since with a Bluetooth headset, you can skip, control volume, pause, make a call, receive a call so easily with the buttons, that I'd rather have such than wired any day. The only flaw... making sure that you don't forget to charge them.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0