webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Sprint Pre 2 on Boost Mobile?
Sprint Pre 2 on Boost Mobile?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 11/20/2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm considering a FrankenPre 2, Verizon Pre 2 with Sprint Pre com board. Ultimately, I'd like to get it working on Boost Mobile for $50/mo. There's some talk of people having trouble getting a Sprint Pre to work on Boost Mobile. Is it possible, IF I get my Sprint Pre activated on Boost Mobile, then make a "FrankenPre 2" it'll work?

Thanks
ElPhantasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Why not just get a GSM unlocked Pre2/Pre3 and go to straight talk or other GSM carrier?

If you don't already have the device I don't see the advantage of all the extra work you will need to do. Many people with Veer/Pre2/Pre3 on straight talk.

You other option could be to get a VZW Pre2 and go with the prepaid carrier that uses VZW phones (I can't remember the name off the top of my head but there are a few threads about it on the forums from not too long ago).
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 11/20/2012, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Why not just get a GSM unlocked Pre2/Pre3 and go to straight talk or other GSM carrier?

If you don't already have the device I don't see the advantage of all the extra work you will need to do. Many people with Veer/Pre2/Pre3 on straight talk.

You other option could be to get a VZW Pre2 and go with the prepaid carrier that uses VZW phones (I can't remember the name off the top of my head but there are a few threads about it on the forums from not too long ago).
+1 for less hassle and not having to Franken... The advantage with Boost is they are media-centric and do have the shrinking payment. Depends also on coverage area. Boost is a Sprint reseller, yes? ST is an AT&T reseller...

The other option OldSkool alludes to is that PagePlus will activate a Vzw device with a clean ESN. They resell Vzw service.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 11/20/2012, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Forgot about the boost payment thing, and thanks for getting PagePlus, thought is started with a P but it wasn't coming up in my brain this morning.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/20/2012, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

FYI - Boost (and Virgin) is part of Sprint, not a reseller. Boost was always part of Sprint, whereas Virgin used to be a reseller, but was later purchased by Sprint.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/20/2012, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Forgot about the boost payment thing, and thanks for getting PagePlus, thought is started with a P but it wasn't coming up in my brain this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
FYI - Boost (and Virgin) is part of Sprint, not a reseller. Boost was always part of Sprint, whereas Virgin used to be a reseller, but was later purchased by Sprint.
LOL - hard to tell the players without a score card.
Old 11/20/2012, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.

I find Boost Mobile's $50/mo w/unlimited data and shrinking payments very attractive (potentially down to $35/mo), and Virgin has a $35 paln with 300 minutes and unlimited everything else. PagePlus only offers 200Mb and 5c/Mb thereafter. Using Verizon directly as prepaid is $80/mo (smart phone tax).

The "smart phone tax" is mostly why I'm doing all of this. I already went round and round with Sprint about it, and the rep basically said, "It's because my phone does more." I said, "Yes, that's my phone not your service." I believe it should be illegal to preclude any FCC approved devices from any plan offered by a cellular provider.

Back to my original question...

If I activate my Sprint Pre on either Boost or Virgin Mobile, then make a FrankenPre 2, is it likely to work?
ElPhantasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, first, good luck getting it activated on Boost or Virgin, but if you do, it should work fine after that.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
Thanks everyone.

I find Boost Mobile's $50/mo w/unlimited data and shrinking payments very attractive (potentially down to $35/mo), and Virgin has a $35 paln with 300 minutes and unlimited everything else. PagePlus only offers 200Mb and 5c/Mb thereafter. Using Verizon directly as prepaid is $80/mo (smart phone tax).

The "smart phone tax" is mostly why I'm doing all of this. I already went round and round with Sprint about it, and the rep basically said, "It's because my phone does more." I said, "Yes, that's my phone not your service." I believe it should be illegal to preclude any FCC approved devices from any plan offered by a cellular provider.

Back to my original question...

If I activate my Sprint Pre on either Boost or Virgin Mobile, then make a FrankenPre 2, is it likely to work?
I think you would be the first honestly, you are asking something very specific, I don't recall seeing one person doing this ever. So anyone saying it will work probably isn't going to be able to help you if you do it. If you decide to do it, I would suggest buying a GSM Pre2, so if you run into problems you can still use a GSM pay as you go service with the Pre2.

Most people that have stayed with webOS went Straight Talk since every device is available in GSM and you don't have to do all the messing around you have to do with the CDMA phones. Just to compare, $45 unlimited everything, only thing you miss is the shrinking payment.

Welcome | Straight Talk
Old 11/20/2012, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I was a Virgin customer until early last spring... They will not (or would not, up until I left) activate any non-Virgin branded or "unlocked" device for use on their service. Period.

That's the rub. For value, pay-as-you-go, monthly rates most insist you pay full, unsubsidized price for a device branded with their name and locked down to their access... That makes Franken very limited... You have to get onto Sprint directly or Verizon directly first, just to activate the comm board.

Page Plus makes an exception for Vzw branded. That's the only CDMA service I ever heard of that won't force you to buy one of their phones.

GSM has more "bring your own phone" options.

Straight Talk requires the $45/month plan for BYOP. That's unlimited everything including 411. reports are that if you don't tether up a lot of data use (2GB+ each month) that there really is no problem. If you purchase ahead on ST the monthly rate does drop a bit.

Tags
activation, boost mobile, frankenpre 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0