webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Has verizon released a Webos 2.2.4 update for the pre2 yet?
Has verizon released a Webos 2.2.4 update for the pre2 yet?

Old 11/18/2012, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone know if verizon has finally released a WebOS 2.2.4 update yet???
taescience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taescience View Post
Does anyone know if verizon has finally released a WebOS 2.2.4 update yet???
No but one can (using the meta doctor application) use a script to update to webOS 2.2.4...

2.2.4 for the VZW Pre 2?

Last edited by John Steffes; 11/18/2012 at 09:04 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

okay, so how safe is that? What could go wrong? What won't work after I do that?
taescience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

there are instructions and warning on the meta-doctor page. such things are _never_truly_save but many have had no issues. I've been running 2.2.4 for so long I can't remember when I did it.
Greyfish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

I tried 2.2.4, and like most custom roms, I never get past that sinking feeling that I get more lock ups and slowdowns than with the official roms. that plus a smaller selection of patches means I'm back on 2.1.0 (the highest official rom for the pre2 + verizon). I have done the getBT upgrade to allow txt messaging with my touchpad which is the main reason (AFAIC) one might want to upgrade to 2.2.4. That is now moot for me since I am android on the TP full time.

ymmv
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
I have done the getBT upgrade to allow txt messaging with my touchpad which is the main reason (AFAIC) one might want to upgrade to 2.2.4. That is now moot for me since I am android on the TP full time.

ymmv
I haven't tried 2.2.4, but I've been tempted. For me though, my main reason is different...you get enhancement to Skype where you could Skype over a wireless network which means my phone could conceivably make 'skype' phone calls from anywhere in the world where I can access a wifi hotspot. THAT would have been cool when I was out of the country for 2.5 months. I had wifi hotspots I could use even though my phone had to stay on Airplane mode all that time.

As it is with webOS 2.1.x, I can Skype only on my Verizon network...which is pretty bleak in Diego Garcia...or pretty much any other country. In fact, can I only use Skype in my home area code? Or maybe, if I roam, I can't use Skype...there is some restriction 2.1, and basically I think it is you are using the 3G signal, whereas in 2.2.4, you can use wifi signal.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have webOS 2.2.4 on my Pre2 (my daily driver is my PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4), I have never heard issues with patches (same version for Pre3), apps all work, and with the super script it is close to a Verizon build as one will get.

Understand this is the WR build 160, with WR apps removed and Verizon apps added, no custom Rom like android...

This is the same build on the unlocked Pre2, WiFi or carrier Skype... Is much better then Skype Mobile only on Verizon network...

But every experience is different, but I find it much better then webOS 2.1.0...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.2.4, verizon updates

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0