webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Returning to Pre 2
Returning to Pre 2
Like Tree11Likes

Old 11/15/2012, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Have not been on WebOs for much of this year.. am still unsure of the Pre3 becoming activated on Verizon, so I picked this up

Palm Pre 2 16GB Black Verizon Smartphone New 805931073563 | eBay

Supposedly it's "brand new"...will see, I am currently using a Droid Razr M but I get somewhat bored with Androids these days.

This being a WebOs forum, I won't ask about Open OS or anything else.. I'll just browse around.

But my main question is how does the Pre 2 hold up in 2012?

Thank You All!
plyboult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

2012 is when I jumped into webOS and got a Pre 2.

It's still a great phone, IMHO, and even though the user base and developer pool is shrinking: you can still get it to do most anything you need. It's the best OS for tinkering, tweaking, modding by far - that's not changed at all. If you enjoy the webOS UI then all else seems forgivable to me...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyboult View Post
Have not been on WebOs for much of this year.. am still unsure of the Pre3 becoming activated on Verizon, so I picked this up

Palm Pre 2 16GB Black Verizon Smartphone New 805931073563 | eBay

Supposedly it's "brand new"...will see, I am currently using a Droid Razr M but I get somewhat bored with Androids these days.

This being a WebOs forum, I won't ask about Open OS or anything else.. I'll just browse around.

But my main question is how does the Pre 2 hold up in 2012?

Thank You All!
Wife uses hers daily, my SIM might be going back into mine until after thanksgiving (my Pre3 is acting up). I think the Pre2 is a fine phone, the keyboard is not as nice as the Veer or Pre3 but is still very good.

The only things that don't "hold up" would be app selection (if you are into that) and possibly the camera. For me neither is a deal breaker, as I know its a cell phone with a camera so I don't expect it to be perfect.

Welcome back to webOS Nation, and you will find plenty of info about Open webOS floating around as well.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
...Welcome back to webOS Nation, and you will find plenty of info about Open webOS floating around as well.
Ditto the Welcome Back! (Where are my manners? )

And a caveat on the Open. Nothing for legacy phones there. However, if you have a TouchPad, LunaCE is quite good. Check this thread for more info: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-new-post.html

webOS Internals does have a ports team working on some things for Open - it's all very pre-alpha so far as I can tell.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/15/2012, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Funny, I just recently left my Pre2 for a Razr M. The Pre2 was failing me so I took the jump and I'm liking the phone so far. The hardware alone was a huge step up but I have to admit Android takes a little bit of getting used to (first time on Android). I was trying to justify buying a Pre3 off ebay for $180 but just couldn't do it because openwebos was not supporting legacy phones. I still use my Pre2 but playing with both side by side, you can immediately see that webos is really in need of a refreshing. I'm sorry, I didn't really add anything of value to your original post but just wanted to share my thoughts.
dki378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 11/15/2012, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Really appreciate the replies! I must say I missed this site's enthusiasm for a great OS. I have a habit of going through phones fairly quickly, in the past few months I've had a Rezound, Galaxy s3, and now the M. Not sure what it is, but when I was looking up Windows 8 phones I started to think about Os again (and $60 for a pre 2 was a steal).

I used the Pixi for about 6 months & honestly it's the 1 phone I ever loved, though using it in 2012 probably wouldn't be the best idea so pre2 it is. Fine with the app selection, from what I remember the catalog had whatever I needed despite it slimming in recent months. Should be getting the phone by early next week, so I will for sure come back & look around the boards.

Thanks again guys
Old 11/15/2012, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome back!
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had enough of the bugs and poor camera and just decided to buy a Nexus 4. I'm one of the lucky ones that was able to get their order in. I'm not sure if my phone was a lemon from the start, if the bugs are based in the software, or a side effect of being a frankenpre 2.

I'm hoping I can live with Android. And if not I'm guessing the Nexus 4 will be one of webOS Ports next target devices.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yea, webOS does have it's bugs, but the benefits and fluidity can outweigh the negatives
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
I had enough of the bugs and poor camera and just decided to buy a Nexus 4. I'm one of the lucky ones that was able to get their order in. I'm not sure if my phone was a lemon from the start, if the bugs are based in the software, or a side effect of being a frankenpre 2.

I'm hoping I can live with Android. And if not I'm guessing the Nexus 4 will be one of webOS Ports next target devices.
What were the bugs you speak of
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

What OS doesnt have bugs?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
What OS doesnt have bugs?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
True, but other OS's are actively fixing and improving the software. The Pre 2 hasn't been and won't be updated anymore so those bugs are permanent.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 11/15/2012, 08:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
What were the bugs you speak of
Not telling time when the screen display is off is the biggest problem. It makes my alarms and all time dependant notifications useless.

Old 11/15/2012, 09:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
It's still a great phone, IMHO, and even though the user base and developer pool is shrinking: you can still get it to do most anything you need. It's the best OS for tinkering, tweaking, modding by far - that's not changed at all. If you enjoy the webOS UI then all else seems forgivable to me...
It's funny to continue to hear WebOS users being very optimistic about when it comes to the Devs for the Palm OS forgotten platform. I wouldn't put it more slightly as not shrinking pool, because it not a pool anymore(Thanks to HP/Mrs Whitman) it's more of a pond or dried up pool. We have NO MORE DEVELOPERS anymore, no-one is investing apps for WebOS unfortunately(the only developers are here in WebOS Nation). Despite all of that, Palm Pre 2 phone is a decent phone just that you will find apps that are completely outdated and forgotten by the developers like Pandora and Spotify.

Anyhow, enjoy your Palm Pre 2 phone, because while is not a Palm Pre 3 still that phone hold its own weight to when it comes to features/specs.

P.S: Consider buying a new battery for your Palm Pre 2, take a chance of buying a Mugen 1400 Battery...
Old 11/15/2012, 11:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
It's funny to continue to hear WebOS users being very optimistic about when it comes to the Devs for the Palm OS forgotten platform. I wouldn't put it more slightly as not shrinking pool, because it not a pool anymore(Thanks to HP/Mrs Whitman) it's more of a pond or dried up pool. We have NO MORE DEVELOPERS anymore, no-one is investing apps for WebOS unfortunately(the only developers are here in WebOS Nation). Despite all of that, Palm Pre 2 phone is a decent phone just that you will find apps that are completely outdated and forgotten by the developers like Pandora and Spotify.

Anyhow, enjoy your Palm Pre 2 phone, because while is not a Palm Pre 3 still that phone hold its own weight to when it comes to features/specs.

P.S: Consider buying a new battery for your Palm Pre 2, take a chance of buying a Mugen 1400 Battery...
Love the optimism man lol. Just have to ask if those apps not being supported anymore still work? With anything, as long as there is a core dedicated fan base things can continue to go on. Already I've seen the great work here from the homebrew apps to GPS ect. So I am willing to give it a spin, last year I had a pre 2 for a couple weeks Ha but will have it longer this time around.
Old 11/16/2012, 01:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyboult View Post
Love the optimism man lol. Just have to ask if those apps not being supported anymore still work? With anything, as long as there is a core dedicated fan base things can continue to go on. Already I've seen the great work here from the homebrew apps to GPS ect. So I am willing to give it a spin, last year I had a pre 2 for a couple weeks Ha but will have it longer this time around.
Youview (youmail client) doesn't work anymore. Forums (taptalk) works but the recent posts doesn't work. Dev knows about it but no telling if it will be fixed. Can't think of anything else
Old 11/16/2012, 05:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
Not telling time when the screen display is off is the biggest problem. It makes my alarms and all time dependant notifications useless.

Not sure what you mean by screen is off it won't tell time. If you saying that alarms are not reliable then I agree, I will never trust any webos device to alarm if its really important
Old 11/16/2012, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

I have anlocked GSM Pre 2 in the box at home, saving it as a spare if my Veer or Pre 3 ever kick the bucket.

As for the lack of apps, like most have already said here, I have no issues, as the four or five things I use still have great apps (Twitter, FB, photo upload to PhotoBucket, and Evernote.) On reflecting on the lack of apps, I downloaded the WebOS development kit and have set about learning the ins and outs of WebOS app development. Was a programmer for nearly 20 years, so it's coming back fairly quickly.

Figured if I ever really needed an app that wasn't there... heck, I'll just try to write me one. Fun project, and have absolutely nothing to lose but time, I figure...

WebOS, how we love thee, you plucky little OS, you...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kayphoonstar likes this.
Old 11/16/2012, 12:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hi All

Well, for better or worse I have recently decomm'ed my beloved Pre2, and have started trying to adjust to Android on the Galaxy Siii/S3.

Man, I miss WebOS! But: I did buy the phone I think is most likely to be a target for an OpenWebOS port... 30 Million shipped already (and I've seen some "Bounties" being offered to folks porting to this platform). Hardware is great, but I'm spending at least an hour a day looking at the darn phone, trying to figure out how to do things that were so effortless on my Pre2!

How's this for irony: The primary reason I ended up NOT using my Verizon Pre3 was it got flakey with messaging and Skype, and with so little communcity support (not that many Pre3's... whole lot fewer on VZW), I could not count on fixes coming out. So, turns out, SKYPE is buggy as all heck on the Samsung Galaxy range.. AAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

All the best

russ

p.s. I'm selling a bunch of my WebOS gear, too. see:
TP64, Pre2, Pre3, Veer - lot to go
russraff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 12:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well according to Ebay the phone is out for delivery in San Antonio (I live in NY lol).

All things considered, it is great to see this community working so hard together & moving forward all things considered (especially the lack of hardware). My first choice would be to use the Pixi but I do not think it would really translate too well to 2012. Will let you all know once I get the phone & move from there. Cheers

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0