1.    #1  
    New to the pre2, my first smart phone. I had 524 contacts in my LG Octane and saved them in csv format to my computer from Verizon's backup assistant before moving to Page Pllus in August.

The LG started to die about a week ago so I chose a used Pre2 off eBay (~$50). I imported the csv file from August into a Google account which synced OK to the phone.... but unfortunately all of the numbers came into the phone in the "notes" field f their respective contacts and none of the contacts are recognized as having phone numbers by the Pre2.

What do I have to do to fix this? Research suggests I need to open the file in a spread sheet and make some changes, but I have no idea what they would be. No way I'm going to be able to do this one by one...
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by webosinjun; 10/29/2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Welcome to WebOS. You'll like it here. I am unable to assist you, however, have you tried searching this forum?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    well as long as the fields are not correctly imported into google contacts they won't be correctly on the Pre2.
    Just check in google contacts website if the telnumbers are in the notes field, if they are you could correct them manually there (i wouldn't with 500+) or search for the correct CSV import structure for google contacts - modifiy your old csv file - delete all contacts imported in the first import - delete google account on pre, just to be sure no sync issues will occur - reimport new csv file to google - add google account back in webos.

...and welcome to webOS!

If you use google as primary data source, perhaps you should make yourself familliar with "Preware" (search this forum or mainpage for info) and install the patch:
    Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch (not only usefull for calendar syncing)
    But that is all the second step after fixing your phonenumber issue.
    use gmail to upload your csv file to the gmail . The when you log into your gmail account all your contacts will be in your phone. You may have to hunt for the option to upload your file but a simple search in google will give you that info. If you need anything else just ask. I would first try deleting the contacts in the gmail account and re-upload them just in case there was just an error or some thing like that. With your issue you may want to do a search for that particular issue . If its happened to you I'm sure its happened to others as well.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    got this off of google

Google Contacts doesn't support rich text formatting, or unlimited length in the “notes” field. When we're unable to import a certain field from the CSV, we do our best to let you know so that you can fix it manually. * * The maximum size for a contact is 128 KB. If a contact exceeds this size, the "notes" field might be truncated.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    got this off of google as well maybe try this,

CSV files that fail to import should be resaved using a more standard format.

Although there is not defined standard for CSV formatting, there are commonly accepted parameters that will maximize the compatibility of the files. Abiding by these best practices will ensure PANDA can read your file.

It is often possible to correct a badly formatted CSV file by simply opening it in your spreadsheet application and saving it as a new CSV file. Depending on your application you may be prompted with advanced formatting options (delimiter, etc). Usually it is best to leave these on the defaults. In LibreOffice you would choose Save As from the File menu and then select "Text CSV" as the file type
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 10/30/2012 at 06:49 AM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses.
    i'm not sure anyone read my initial post through....
    I do understand the concept of "searching" and as I wrote I did get as far as to find advice to edit the CSV file in a spreadsheet but I have no idea how to move an entire column's worth of info into another column.
    I've now started the process of fixing them one by one in Gmail (i.e. copying the number from the notes into the right field, contact by contact.) starting with the ones I'm most likely to use... the good news is I don't think the pre is particularly finicky about the formatting as long as the number is in a number field...
    Quote Originally Posted by webosinjun View Post
    Thanks for the responses.
    i'm not sure anyone read my initial post through....
    I do understand the concept of "searching" and as I wrote I did get as far as to find advice to edit the CSV file in a spreadsheet but I have no idea how to move an entire column's worth of info into another column.
    I've now started the process of fixing them one by one in Gmail (i.e. copying the number from the notes into the right field, contact by contact.) starting with the ones I'm most likely to use... the good news is I don't think the pre is particularly finicky about the formatting as long as the number is in a number field...
    Could you post the first line in the CSV file (column headers) and a sample line of data? I know you can change the headers apart from the data and that would "move" an entire column to a different header. You can also use a spreadsheet program such as Excel to edit the data.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Could you post the first line in the CSV file (column headers) and a sample line of data? I know you can change the headers apart from the data and that would "move" an entire column to a different header. You can also use a spreadsheet program such as Excel to edit the data.
    Opened in Word...

Name,Given Name,Additional Name,Family Name,Yomi Name,Given Name Yomi,Additional Name Yomi,Family Name Yomi,Name Prefix,Name Suffix,Initials,Nickname,Short Name,Maiden Name,Birthday,Gender,Location,Billing Information,Directory Server,Mileage,Occupation,Hobby,Sensitivity,Priority,Subject,Notes,Group Membership,E-mail 1 - Type,E-mail 1 - Value,Phone 1 - Type,Phone 1 - Value,Phone 2 - Type,Phone 2 - Value#BAL Bill Balance,#BAL,,Bill Balance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Mobile Number 1: *225#
    ",* My Contacts ::: Imported 10/27/12,,,,,,#DATA,#DATA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Mobile Number 1: #3282
    ",* My Contacts ::: Imported 10/27/12,,,,,,#MIN Minutes,#MIN,,Minutes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Mobile Number 1: #646
    ",* My Contacts ::: Imported 10/27/12,,,,,,#PMT,#PMT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Mobile Number 1: #768
    ",* My Contacts ::: Imported 10/27/12,,,,,,#Warranty Center,#Warranty,,Center,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Mobile Number 1: 18664065154
    ",* My Contacts ::: Imported 10/27/12,,,,,,0,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Mobile Number 1: 0
    ",* My Contacts ::: Imported 10/27/12,,,,,,12 Streets San,12,,Streets San,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Mobile Number 1: (312)747-3232

Excel is what I've been using but I don't know how to swap whole fields or much else about advanced use.
    Well, phone numbers are in fact being exported to the Notes field. What you can do is in Excel, add a new column to the end named "Primary Phone", cut and paste the entire phone number column to that one, and do a search and replace (Ctrl-H) for "Mobile Number 1: " (note space at the end) with nothing for the replacement field. Save, and try again.
    use libreoffice (openoffice) if no excel is available