webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > App for recording Phone calls - URGENT HELP REQ!!
App for recording Phone calls - URGENT HELP REQ!!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By artxxork

Old 10/08/2012, 03:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

URGENT HELP REQ!!

I'm having Palm Pre 2 and looking for a App that can help me to record the phone conversation (incoming, outgoing, date & time of the phone call, Phone number, etc). Currently i've HP WebOS 2.2.4 version.

Let me know if i've to upgrade version or so.
rshyambabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Never found such an app for webOS while I was looking for it. We've lots of audio recording apps. One would think it won't be too hard to change those apps slightly, but maybe there is no support in webOS to directly record phone calls. It would be useful. Any dev willing to comment on what the chances are to built such an app?

Just an afterthought, not ideal, but a workaround, just pair your phone with e.g. your TP (or bluetooth speaker) and run a voice recording app on your phone to record the phone conversation. Yes, I know it's just a workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshyambabu View Post
Hi,

URGENT HELP REQ!!

I'm having Palm Pre 2 and looking for a App that can help me to record the phone conversation (incoming, outgoing, date & time of the phone call, Phone number, etc). Currently i've HP WebOS 2.2.4 version.

Let me know if i've to upgrade version or so.

Last edited by renater; 10/09/2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: added workaround solution
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

i need a phone calls recording app too,
before there was a limitation in the API ( i think) now that the openwebos has been released i don't know if there are still limitations,
please developers, we really need this for webos and i am ready to buy as soon as it is available,
this is a big time saver, it will save us from the hassle of writing the client's comments down especially while driving...
i hope some developer would help.
labwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

google trapcall and see if there's a way to use that or maybe that could give a developer a headstart. I saw Apple had blocked the app from their store and that got my curiosity up about the app.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

a local app rather than relying on an online service is much better, not everyone is connected 24/7 and everywhere.
plus the trapcall service $25 per month ouch!!
if only we can get a confirmation that a phone call recording app is possible at all.
Old 10/09/2012, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by labwizard View Post
i need a phone calls recording app too,
before there was a limitation in the API ( i think) now that the openwebos has been released i don't know if there are still limitations,
please developers, we really need this for webos and i am ready to buy as soon as it is available,
this is a big time saver, it will save us from the hassle of writing the client's comments down especially while driving...
i hope some developer would help.
open webOS API wouldn't be applicable to the version of webOS on your device....

Not saying it's not possible, but just not gonna help much. I really don't think this is possible but I am no developer.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

webOS uses PulseAudio/ALSA, doesn't it? Can't you redirect audio using those frameworks?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know you can record the incoming voices from pulseaudio on a skype calls. I was unable to record my own voice though during skype calls. I don't think the microphone or the phone app uses pulseaudio the normal way. So it makes it a little more difficult to record the conversation during a phone call.

Published TP Apps:
Anagramarama HD
Published Phone Apps
Anagramarama
DDII Free
elpollodiablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

i am no dev and don't know anything about programming, but since it is possible to record the incoming voice through pulseaudio and it is possible to record our voice through already available recording apps,
how about mixing them together on one file left and right channels, from two different sources, the microphone and the pulseaudio thing whatever it is.
is that possible?
even if it is not realtime mixing, maybe an automated post process when the call has ended?
Old 10/29/2012, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

NOTE: this was tested on Pre3, but Pre2 should be the same

You can record phone conversation without need for mixing 2 sources ... you can record both mic and speaker at same time ... there are no technical issues (except jail, so official app in HP App Catalog is not possible) ... piece of cake - except day has only 24hours

For those with free time and required skills: don't use pulse audio, but alsa directly, for example try running this command while on call (will record 20secs):
Code:
arecord -D hw:0,0 -f S16_LE -d 20 /media/internal/rec.bin
then play back with:
Code:
aplay -f S16_LE /media/internal/rec.bin
Hope that helps...
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by labwizard and Remy X like this.
Thanked by labwizard, Remy X, sshaka
Old 10/29/2012, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
NOTE: this was tested on Pre3, but Pre2 should be the same

You can record phone conversation without need for mixing 2 sources ... you can record both mic and speaker at same time ... there are no technical issues (except jail, so official app in HP App Catalog is not possible) ... piece of cake - except day has only 24hours

For those with free time and required skills: don't use pulse audio, but alsa directly, for example try running this command while on call (will record 20secs):
Code:
arecord -D hw:0,0 -f S16_LE -d 20 /media/internal/rec.bin
then play back with:
Code:
aplay -f S16_LE /media/internal/rec.bin
Hope that helps...
That should be easy to wrap into an app. Just add adjustable time and adding WAV headers/compression.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nice
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wow i just saw this thread again and it is great news, i am excited that there is hope for this app to see light, and i don't care if it is through official catalog or other! this is available now on android and was available on symbian more than 10 years ago, and it is a shame that some people including me can't use webos for their specific needs without this feature.
on a side note i have read in this thread
Voice recording on palm pixi [plus]
that realtime mp3 conversion might be possible with faster phones like pre3 or pre2
so i hope this would be implemented too,

thanks artxxork i hope you can find some free time soon

Last edited by labwizard; 12/03/2012 at 10:59 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0