Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news (visitors outside the UK may have a different experience)

Every time I go to this site to try to get my news fix it tells me page not found. When I go to the BBC mobile home page it serves me up the desktop version. If I click directly into a news story from there it serves up the mobile version and if I then click on the news home page link from there I get the version I expect. It's just when I try to go direct I get an error. When I try to access the url on my touchpad it just forwards me to the desktop version (www.bbc.co.uk/news)

I was wondering if it's something on my phone or if others experience the same thing - my Pre3 has died so I can't compare on that. I doctored my phone yesterday and it persists. I have a feeling they've put some forwarding in the headers and forgotten about us webOS users. though if that's the case I'm not entirely surprised.
    something wrong with the app?

non app site fine for me btw.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    something wrong with the app?

non app site fine for me btw.
    No it's not an app i'm using just stock browser. Oh well if you're not having problems it must be something particular to me - but like I say, I doctored yesterday so can't think what it could be.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I'm also unable to load the news page. It consistently returns an "Unable to load..." error. All other pages seem to work. The BBC app works fine as well. BTW, I'm using a Pre 3 with 2.2.4, never doctored.
    I can't get to cnn
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    No it's not an app i'm using just stock browser. Oh well if you're not having problems it must be something particular to me - but like I say, I doctored yesterday so can't think what it could be.
    Ahhh... that's good to know. I've just been checking again and now the entire BBC web site serves up the normal desktop pages to me - and I still can't get to the mobile news home page at all. It's a real shame as the BBC mobile site is/was formatted perfectly. I'll try to complain - it's really not that difficult to add webos to the list of things to sniff for when redirecting. If not i'll find something else - or maybe use the app.
    I've been having problems for weeks. At first I could still get to the /world and /uk site but not the front page. Then even that stopped working. Tried clearing my cache and history and rebooting, but didn't work.

eventually managed to get it working again by visiting the BBC - Homepage main site and selecting mobile version from the bottom. I then clicked through to the news page and it seems to work again. Looks like it needs to have your selection stored in a cookie to cookie to work.
    Just followed the advice given by Hagster and it is now working again for me -- Many thanks !!

I am based in Spain and using WiFi on a Pre3 (2.2.4) with a UK O2 sim installed so I will have been directed to the International Mobile Site.
    Not prepared to try over GSM until I go to back UK in a few months time.

One of my favourite Apps "Beeb News" has also stopped working and still does not work, but I will continue my contacts with the author. He also seemed to think that it was a cookie problem.

I have completed a feedback form for the BBC mobile site pointing out the problem that Web OS users are having and I would encourage others to do the same.
    yes, beeb news has stopped working for me too. The front page works but I get a white screen when I click on the articles.

glad the fix worked for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    yes, beeb news has stopped working for me too. The front page works but I get a white screen when I click on the articles.

glad the fix worked for you.
    ok this now happens to me on my pre3, touchpads fine, can't even use the browser either, errors on loading webpage which seems to change to mobile version even if I tell it not too.

same app for touchpad and pre3, weird the touchpads fine and pre3 won't work properly.
    Issue is being looked in to
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcdave View Post
    Issue is being looked in to
    I am hoping there is going to be a fix!

No more BBC news for me, either.
    I get a message: "Unable to load page http://bbc.co.uk/mobile/" and "Unable to resolve host [2006]".

This problem is on a Pre 3, version 2.2.4.
    At the same time, no problem on my Veer, version 2.1.2.
    @rdwalker.

The fix I suggested still works. Unfortunately it doesn't stick for long and you have to re-select mobile version from the bbc.co.uk: website before going to news.
    Last edited by hagster; 10/18/2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: spelling error in url
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Just noticed... BBC News works just fine on the Universe Browser on the Pre 3. So I guess there's a choice to make... Flash or BBC News!
    This has been fixed on both www and m.
    hagster and kevets like this.
    legend, cheers.
    Indeed, it works for me on the Veer and on the TP. Thanks! Robert.
  18.    #18  
    I'm sorry... I started this thread (and also completed feedback to the BBC) but I've not been following it. I can confirm that it now works if you select the mobile site link, although it takes a couple of refreshes to to get the zoom level right - at least it did on my Pre2.

However, joy of joys, my Pre3 mysteriously came back to life earlier today but when I saw the BBC site still wasn't working I lost patience and I followed the instructions for spoofing the user agent string here: WebKit UserAgent Override - WebOS Internals

Now, I do feel a bit dirty doing this. Misreporting your browser is not a cool thing to do as it gives site owners a false impression of what their users are using, and could have other undesirable effects. The reason I bit the bullet was after reading news about more developers abandoning the webOS platform, issues with the Amazon MP3 store, as well as the BBC site still being broken for me. While the BBC seems to regard it as its duty to make its Web content available on every conceivable connected platform (very laudable, and actually not incredibly difficult if you know what you're doing), many commercial organisations won't really care so long as their 90% of android, iOS and blackberry users are satisfied. Case in point - I'm having a package delivered to me by UPS tomorrow and tracking previous packages has been a matter of zooming and panning around the page - I just accepted it was a desktop-only site. But going to the UPS site pretending to be an iphone was a *completely* different experience. Other mobile sites are revealing themselves too.

I fear that as our numbers dwindle we will have to rely on more such tricks to get things to work.

It's been a bittersweet day for me....

Anyway, thanks to bbcdave for keeping on top of things!
    vgg likes this.
    Could you paste your user agent here for the pre 3 please
    my pre3 working fine through the app after the fix, no user agent magics used.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast