webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Turn by Turn Navigation
Turn by Turn Navigation
Like Tree4Likes

Old 09/29/2012, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

From your Palm device open your browser and go to m.scout.me

This is a html5 web based navigation by Telenav that works directly from your browser and gives turn by turn directions and connects to your GPS, no need to install anything. What also is cool it will show events like concerts and other various things happening in your area, just tap on the "Discover" button and you can navigate to these places, or if you want to drive to a specific place just tap the drive button and type in the address or the name of the business, tap on the result and it takes you to a map so you navigate to your destination.

Some people may already known about this, but I just discovered it today and it is a godsend. I never liked the Navit app in preware, seemed a little to clunky and difficult to use. And if you own an unlocked Pre 2 it did not come with any Turn by Turn apps installed so this is a great alternative.
hotlynx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and RumoredNow like this.
Old 09/29/2012, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks good! I don't recall any mention of this on these boards, so...nice find!
I use nDrive, but it's nice to have an alternative (espec. since nDrive has stopped developing for webOS).
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: k4ever
Old 09/29/2012, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
From your Palm device open your browser and go to m.scout.me

This is a html5 web based navigation by Telenav that works directly from your browser and gives turn by turn directions and connects to your GPS, no need to install anything. What also is cool it will show events like concerts and other various things happening in your area, just tap on the "Discover" button and you can navigate to these places, or if you want to drive to a specific place just tap the drive button and type in the address or the name of the business, tap on the result and it takes you to a map so you navigate to your destination.

Some people may already known about this, but I just discovered it today and it is a godsend. I never liked the Navit app in preware, seemed a little to clunky and difficult to use. And if you own an unlocked Pre 2 it did not come with any Turn by Turn apps installed so this is a great alternative.
I just heard about scout.me on LockerGnome... sounds amazing
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Great find...

Bookmarked it and will have to play with it...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Presumably, being in your web browser, it costs money to use? Just thinking a long trip could work out expensive.
NickM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
Presumably, being in your web browser, it costs money to use? Just thinking a long trip could work out expensive.
That depends a lot on your data plan.

I, for example, don't have cell service, let alone data access. So it would be impractical for me to use it. Joe over there may have a 200 MB plan, (ouch), Mr. StraightTalk may have unlimited, thus, won't be so painful.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

And for someone like me, if I go over data it's only $10 a gig, first time I have gone over in 15 months was this month... if I really need Nav, the possibility of maybe paying $10 is better than the ATT or VZW monthly subscription option (which still uses data AFAIK).
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

For me personally, I have a Tom Tom that I bring along for planned trips, especially long ones, but other than that I don't keep it in the car all the time. But there are times when I I'm out and about and look up a place to eat at or to go shopping and because it wasn't a planned trip its nice to have this for those less than an hour trips, and I always keep a car charger for my phone in the glovebox so the phone battery doesn't drain while I'm navigating. Now I did post this before I have had a chance to test it out myself, so I would love to hear how well it works or doesn't work.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 09/29/2012, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't tried it yet... but I am like you, I have my dads old stand alone nav from when he got a new one.... I usually forget I have it, or forget to grab it out of the office. Don't keep it in the car because we have too many, so this is a great quick fix when needed. Also the wife hardly every uses her data so it will be great for her in a pinch, even if it's just for a general idea.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I find Navit works well for me. The data connection required for a browser option could be a problem.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
I find Navit works well for me. The data connection required for a browser option could be a problem.
I am also concerned about the data connection as well those dead zones would pose a problem. I have unlimited data so going over doesn't concern me, plus I will hardly be using this. I do wish that Navit was easier to use, at least for me, I had a hard time with it, not exactly user friendly IMO.
Old 09/29/2012, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had to run out on a job for work this afternoon, so I tried this site. It worked OK, but in a car it had an extremely hard time with the GPS unless I practically held it out the window. Even then, it would be waaay off (1/2 mile or so). I think this would come in handy as a last resort, or if you are walking around a large city and needed directions. All in all a good site, but not something I'll use as my main service.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sweet. I knew this was in the works, but didn't know it existed yet. I've actually been using Navit with much success, so may not need it any more.
Old 09/29/2012, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
I am also concerned about the data connection as well those dead zones would pose a problem. I have unlimited data so going over doesn't concern me, plus I will hardly be using this. I do wish that Navit was easier to use, at least for me, I had a hard time with it, not exactly user friendly IMO.
Not sure how you go about it, but I type the destination address into 'Just type..', select Navit as the search option, and follow the voice instructions. Easy as. :-)
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 12:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure how you go about it, but I type the destination address into 'Just type..', select Navit as the search option, and follow the voice instructions. Easy as. :-)
Just Type ........never even thought about using that, I will give Navit another go. Thanks
Old 10/01/2012, 12:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks so much for this tip! The interface is slightly more clunky being browser based, but I find this much more usable than Navit.

Nice sounding voice as well!
Old 10/01/2012, 03:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Or if it's hard to type or you don't know the precise address use the Google Maps app from Preware. Point your destination by holding down and dropping a pin and then select "Route with Navit".
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by knobbysideup likes this.
Thanked by johncc, knobbysideup
Old 10/01/2012, 09:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Doesn't work in Canada
Old 10/01/2012, 09:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Another option is to use the google maps app from preware to find your location. Then you can launch Navit from there.
Old 10/01/2012, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Navit hasn't ever worked well enough for me to use it. The directions don't update, it is very slow, and the volume is ridiculously too quiet.

I haven't tried m.scout.me yet but after a brief tour of the site I noticed that webOS's on screen reload button blocks some the sites UI.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0