Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 1 Post By daglesj
  1.    #1  
    Hello Members,
    I have a Palm Pre 2 with HP webOS 2.2.4 system and have installed the Preware version 1.9.12
    My problem is that I do not see the option to install the virtual keyboard, if anyone could help me I would be very grateful to
    That's because the virtual keyboard is only compatible with webOS 1.x -2.1.x

For webOS 2.2.x you can buy Quick Keys keyboard but IMHO it doesn't type that good so I prefer the physical keyboard anyway.
    Virtual keyboard here: [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Virtual keyboard here: [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard
    That patch seems nice, but it looks like a tough cookie to crack for me. I'm not that kind of an expert with installing/patching stuff on phones . Just that I'm afraid I could brick my phone by wrongfully trying to install on my Palm Pre 2.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    That patch seems nice, but it looks like a tough cookie to crack for me. I'm not that kind of an expert with installing/patching stuff on phones . Just that I'm afraid I could brick my phone by wrongfully trying to install on my Palm Pre 2.
    No you won't brick your phone, worst can happen is you got it wrong and it doesn't work. Just follow the instructions.

Its great for short texts and just type without having to open the slider.

Just remember it can crash if you try to rotate, if that happens it does a luna restart, not a full reset.
    Well, on my Pre 3 that patch doesn't work well. The keyboard makes the phone hang frequently so I have to do a battery pull.
    Sylo likes this.
    I can't comment on the pre3 version, but it works great on my pre2 (frankenpre). So since the op has pre2 can't hurt to give it a try.

Also in my opinion its the only one that's worth the trouble since as far as I know all the third party ones don't work with just type which is by far the best use for a vk on these phones.

Of course it will crash if one has browser or other app that rotates while keyboard is active, but there is a global accelerometer patch that can reside in the device menu to toggle rotation lock.

Also need to let the op know that the wave launcher won't work anymore, one as to make a choice. That choice was easy for me since vk can launch any app while wave is one of four.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Installed this on my Pre2 a few months ago.

To be honest, the physical keyboard is far easier to use.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    Installed this on my Pre2 a few months ago.

To be honest, the physical keyboard is far easier to use.
    Yep, just type and short texts. If the OP is thinking about writing a long emails and such, then that requires way too much concentration to use the vk.

But if I'm driving or laying up in bed or something like that, then vk is way easier than sliding the physical keyboard just to type a few letters
    Last edited by laingman; 09/26/2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Yep, just type and short texts. If the OP is thinking about writing a long emails and such, then that requires way too much concentration to use the vk.

But if I'm driving or laying up in bed or something like that, then vk is way easier than sliding the physical keyboard just to type a few letters
    Please don't text and drive...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I bought quick keys a while back.....it works great but seldom use it I'm a physical keyboard guy

but you can set it to sit on your notification bar for quick use if your interested

the slide finger to type is real cool too
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Please don't text and drive...
    Thanks for being concerned. Actually I am one who doesn't even like to talk and drive, but we all end up interacting with our phones a little sometimes while driving

But the point I'm tryin to make is that the stock virtual keyboard is the only one that works like the real keyboard.

For example you using music player remix and you wanted to find a song you could slide out the physical keyboard, or you can use the stock vk, the vk probly being more convenient/ easier in my opinion. I don't know that any others that would work in that scenario, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by laingman; 09/27/2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Thanks for being concerned. Actually I am one who doesn't even like to talk and drive, but we all end up interacting with our phones a little sometimes while driving

But the point I'm tryin to make is that the stock virtual keyboard is the only one that works like the real keyboard.

For example you using music player remix and you wanted to find a song you could slide out the physical keyboard, or you can use the stock vk, the vk probly being more convenient/ easier in my opinion. I don't know that any others that would work in that scenario, but I may be wrong.
    I'm glad to hear you keep your phone interaction toned down while driving.... I like you and want you to stick around.

I never touch my phone while driving. I pull over if I have to make a call, check maps, etc...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee