Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    just bought a new in box pre 2, when the phone arrived it set the whole thing up then noticed that every time i make a call the screen would go black. the phone would continue to work it just couldn't end the call or interact with the screen, i was able to activate the phone with it being like this. my hope is since it was new the seller will replace it with another one. but if not i am thinking that there is a faulty proximity sensor. anyone else experience this with a pre 2? any patches or other ways to disable the proximity sensor to test my thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwl3429 View Post
    just bought a new in box pre 2, when the phone arrived it set the whole thing up then noticed that every time i make a call the screen would go black. the phone would continue to work it just couldn't end the call or interact with the screen, i was able to activate the phone with it being like this. my hope is since it was new the seller will replace it with another one. but if not i am thinking that there is a faulty proximity sensor. anyone else experience this with a pre 2? any patches or other ways to disable the proximity sensor to test my thoughts?
    I do know that its a feature, the screen turns off when you hold it up (hence the sensor) but webos could have some performance issues or bugs with that.

i cant help much with a solution right now.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thanks, to clarify as soon as i hit the call button even if the phone is 2 ft from my face with the no cover over the sensor, the screen goes black and stays that way until i pull the battery and restart. would re installing webos help maybe? again this could a be for nothing as i hope they just take the phone back and exchange but you never know.
    Before attempting any patches or doctor, go into device info, hit the drop down > tests > interactive tests > Screen and do the proximity sensor test.

Once you see what that does it'll give you an idea of your next steps. Also what version of webOS are you running?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    will check that and see what i get. it is running 2.1.0 but the box says 2.0.1 must have been upgrade somehow. thanks.
    Just so you know most current version is 2.2.4, so either way you will probably want to doctor or OTA update. I would text sensor first though so you can see if you get any change in the test after update.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Verizon Pre2 OTA is maxed at webOS 2.1.0 build 124.

There is a script via the meta doctor application to bring a Verizon Pre2 to webOS 2.2.4. But no OTA to webOS 2.2.4 (unless one was at WR webOS 2.1.0 build 108 it would then OTA to webOS 2.2.4), it was only released to WR/unlocked Pre2's.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 09/24/2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

There is a script via the meta doctor application to bring a Verizon Pre2 to webOS 2.2.4. But no OTA to webOS 2.2.4 (unless one was at WR webOS 2.1.0 build 108 it would then OTA to webOS 2.1.0) it was only released to WR/unlocked Pre2's.
    I have a verizon pre 2 still haven't run the diagnostic will report back when I do, thanks for the help
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    to update this issue, I restarted the phone and ran the interactive test for the proximity sensor and the screen did not go black when making a call even when it was near my face. I can work with this more since worst case is accidental hangups. But if I restart the phone and make a call without running the test it will go black and require a battery pull. I tested this numerous times very odd. Definitely something wrong with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

There is a script via the meta doctor application to bring a Verizon Pre2 to webOS 2.2.4. But no OTA to webOS 2.2.4 (unless one was at WR webOS 2.1.0 build 108 it would then OTA to webOS 2.2.4), it was only released to WR/unlocked Pre2's.
    Blah I always forget about VZW
    Much like the original poster, my screen begins to act up when making or receiving a call. It does go off when bring the phone to my ear, but when holding it parallel to the ground to hit buttons, say for voice mail or to end a call, the screen was beginning to blink on and off as if it knew when my finger was approaching the screen. Move a finger away, and the screen came back on. Try to touch the "end call" bar and it went black. I sort of dealt with this for a bit figuring I must have installed a patch that messed something up. I just used the physical keyboard to do voicemail commands. Today, the screen stayed black during the call and the only way I could end it was to pull the battery.

I checked the screen test today and it failed the proximity text. I've had this Pre 2 since September 2011 and it's been babied for the most part.

I do have some patches installed:

- Advanced System Behavior
    - Advanced System Menus-Framework (ATT/VZW)
    - Advanced System Menus-Today Menu (ATT/VZW)
    - Advanced System Prefs-Calendar Prefs (ATT/VZW)
    - Add Date MM DD
    - Muffle System Logging
    - Remove Tap Ripple
    - Unthrottle Download Manager
    - Reminder TImes Patch V2

Any advice would be helpful, even if someone flat out says "hardware issue".

Thanks
    Palm III>Palm IIIC>Treo 650>Treo 750>Palm Pre>TouchPad & Pre 2 Galaxy S4 & iPad 4 32GB
    Since there might be someone looking for a solution to this problem, I thought I'd add this post.

I found a patch called "Power Button Ends Calls Except Speaker" which now lets me end the call by pressing the power button and the phone returns to normal. I can use the keyboard to press the necessary buttons for voicemail. As an FYI, I have no screen protector so nothing is obscuring the proximity sensor.

There is another patch that lets you hang up by closing the slider, but since I might do that accidentally if on a long call, I didn't want to chance it.

But the good news is, my Pre 2 has renewed life. Because I actually use my phone to make calls. Imagine that.

Hope this helps someone some day.
    Palm III>Palm IIIC>Treo 650>Treo 750>Palm Pre>TouchPad & Pre 2 Galaxy S4 & iPad 4 32GB