1.    #1  
    OK.. I was waiting to see what Apple was going to reveal with the iPhone 5 to help me decide whether I was going to abandon WebOS and join the IOS Fan-wagon. Suffice it to say, I was not impressed by the iPhone 5.

So, I'm going to go ahead and do a frankenpre. I have my Launch-day pre and a brand new pre2. All I need is the definitive resources that will walk me thru all the required steps for a successful upgrade.

Please share what you think is the best Step by Step guide for accomplishing this.

Thanks much!!!

A.
    Quote Originally Posted by poops View Post
    OK.. I was waiting to see what Apple was going to reveal with the iPhone 5 to help me decide whether I was going to abandon WebOS and join the IOS Fan-wagon. Suffice it to say, I was not impressed by the iPhone 5.

So, I'm going to go ahead and do a frankenpre. I have my Launch-day pre and a brand new pre2. All I need is the definitive resources that will walk me thru all the required steps for a successful upgrade.

Please share what you think is the best Step by Step guide for accomplishing this.

Thanks much!!!

A.
    The best method I have done for several people: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals.

This worked the best for me I have done Verizon PrePlus to unlocked Pre2's, AT&T PrePlus to unlocked Pre2's, and Sprint Pre to unlocked Pre2's, I have even heard others use a Verizon Pre2, Just make sure to create a special modified doctor to make it work, as you do not want the GSM firmware to attempt to flash the Pre's modem. (it should fail, but just in case using a modifed doctor should solve that issue), also if you want the best firmware for CDMA make sure you use the Verizon webOS 2.1.0 CDMA V1.8, it is compatible with 2.1.0/2.2.4, where as V1.7 (from Verizon webOS 2.0.1) has dropped calls and other issues related to the update.
    I've done two so far, it's fairly easy, follow the steps exactly.

You can use either Verizon or AT&T Pre2's, just remember the antenna's are the same for Sprint or Verizon, but the AT&T antenna must be changed out.
    Poops: let us all know how your transplant surgery goes...
  5.    #5  
    Anyone know where to find the Palm Novacom download file? The WebOS Internals wiki has a link to the Palm development site but, I can't find it there... Or, is it within the Palm SDK download?

Any insight is appreciated.
    Yes, it is part of the SDK package. A very small part.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Anyone know where to find the Palm Novacom download file? The WebOS Internals wiki has a link to the Palm development site but, I can't find it there... Or, is it within the Palm SDK download?

Any insight is appreciated.
    One quick way to get it is actually to download and run webOS Quick Install. When you run WOSQI for the first time it will download and install Novacom for you automatically without needing to download the whole Palm SDK.
  8.    #8  
    Question...

In Step 2 "Prepare Your Palm Profile" of the Upgrade instructions on WebOS Internals, is that part done on the Pre- or on the new Pre2?
    Question...

In Step 2 "Prepare Your Palm Profile" of the Upgrade instructions on WebOS Internals, is that part done on the Pre- or on the new Pre2?
    That would be on the old, currently activated Pre-. However, if you read the "NOTE" at the bottom of that step, it suggests that if you're willing to give it a shot, "NOTE: The latest scripts (as of 5:00pm EST) MAY allow direct conversion of a 1.4.5 profile to 2.1.0 without deleting Palm Profile data. ..."

I took the chance and was able to do 2 conversions from Sprint 1.4.5 to 2.2.4 using Verizon Pre2s with no ill effects. Perhaps I was lucky, but I also did not have that much to lose since I try not to keep any crucial data in my Palm profiles - using Google for all contacts, calendars, etc.
    But, back to the original question: that step would be done on the Pre- before taking it apart and moving the comm board.
    -Good luck!
    Last edited by bbito; 09/23/2012 at 09:44 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    That would be on the old, currently activated Pre-. However, if you read the "NOTE" at the bottom of that step, it suggests that if you're willing to give it a shot, "NOTE: The latest scripts (as of 5:00pm EST) MAY allow direct conversion of a 1.4.5 profile to 2.1.0 without deleting Palm Profile data. ..."

I took the chance and was able to do 2 conversions from Sprint 1.4.5 to 2.2.4 using Verizon Pre2s with no ill effects. Perhaps I was lucky, but I also did not have that much to lose since I try not to keep any crucial data in my Palm profiles - using Google for all contacts, calendars, etc.
    But, back to the original question: that step would be done on the Pre- before taking it apart and moving the comm board.
    -Good luck!
    bbito,

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I'm going to do.
  11.    #11  
    Just to make sure I'm running the right script... I have a Spint Pre-. I purchased a Verizon Pre 2 to upgrade.

I should be running the Sprint Franken Verizon Pre 2 script, right?
    Just to make sure I'm running the right script... I have a Spint Pre-. I purchased a Verizon Pre 2 to upgrade.

I should be running the Sprint Franken Verizon Pre 2 script, right?
    That's the one!
  13.    #13  
    Aargh! This is getting a bit frustrating at this point. The hardware part was easy... It's the software portion that's driving me nuts at this time.

I booted the Pre 2 into recovery mode, ran the Dr. and reached the point where it wants to install the drivers. I receive a message saying "Can't install Palm WebOS Drivers. There is already an existing newer version installed..." This might have been from when I installed the Palm SDK a couple days ago...

Any insight on how to bypass this?

Thanks,!!
  14.    #14  
    Update...

I scrapped the idea of trying to do this on my Mac due to the stumbling block I mentioned above...

So, Installed Ubuntu on my 64bit Windows 7 machine at work and everything went swimmingly. Very surprised.

It's actually a very simple process. There were a couple of unclear portions in the instructions. However, overall, I thought they were great. Phone is working perfectly, so far. And, it's very FAST!!!

Also made a nice discovery of Ubuntu. I never used it before. I think I'm going to upgrade to 12.04 and play a little more with the OS.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.