Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    When I have cards open in the background are they still running ? They seem to be suspended.

For example if I am loading a webpage and then open a new card for something else placing the first card in the background is the first card still loading the webpage or is it suspended and will continue loading when I bring it to the front again ?

Also, sometimes a card becomes gray with a circle as if it has lost a connection and the web feed is no longer active. Sometimes this happens eventhough I am certain wifi has not disconnected. Anyone know why this happens.

Is there a way to save a webpage for offline viewing ?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Normaly apps going on running in background. But webkit always try to reload. That's also possible with other web-based apps
    I think there's one or two "Offline Browser" apps in the Preware list.

Normally, everything continues running in the background. If webKit runs low on memory, though, it will start ditching webpages, and that's usually what you see when it forces a page reload - either the webkit running that window has crashed, or it's dumped the page due to lack of memory.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Cards in the background will continue to run until thrown off the screen, but with reduced priority. In the case of the browser, the background card will load slower. The scrim (gray overlay typically with spinner) will appear on a Web card if your were using other apps that took a lot of memory.

Note that if you open a link in a new card but do not open that card, instead staying on the current card, the new card will not load until you activate it.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $isn$'$t$ $an$ $app$ $for$ $saving$ $pages$ $for$ $offline$ $viewing$.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonymcinnis View Post
    Is there a way to save a webpage for offline viewing ?

Thanks.
    While many could complain about the lack of apps in the HP catalog(HP is all to blame for this), anyhow and anyways....There is an at least one app available now that could allow you to save websites for the offline viewing when you not connected to any local WiFi network. The app is on the HP catalog (compatible with TouchPad) which for me its one of the very best out there for WebOS, and it was developed by a new WebOS developer named Svzi. And the application its called:

ReadOnTouch PRO 2.0: Read everything later. Anytime, anywhere!
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Is it possible for an app to force suspend when not in focus, then refresh when back in focus? My thought would be data and battery life saving on a twitter app that does live feed for example.

Just curious, I know games force pause when put into card view, but can't think of any apps that do this.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Is it possible for an app to force suspend when not in focus, then refresh when back in focus? My thought would be data and battery life saving on a twitter app that does live feed for example.

Just curious, I know games force pause when put into card view, but can't think of any apps that do this.
    The original design of the cards system is to have the cards live in the background. Games don't necessarily suspend, they could just detect being deactivated and put themselves in pause mode. Maybe WebOS Ports could whip up something for this.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks a million for your answers.

I am new to Pre 2 having bought 2 11 months ago and setting my wife up on 1 and sitting the other one aside.
    I started using a Dell Venue Pro windows 8 phone that just broke so I pulled out the 2nd Pre 2 and have been say this OS is a pure gem.
    I cannot believe HP dumped it when what they bought in the first place gave them a running start.

Swiping gestures seem so natural.

With the perfect size of this device and all the stuff you can do with Preware I am hooked.

I just wish there was someway to make the volume louder.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

It is up to the app to stop unnecessary background activity when not active. It really is only an issue for apps that have background activity such as timers or service subscriptions that update the screen. If an app's activity is purely driven by user action, then there is nothing to suspend.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/08/2012 at 02:46 PM.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    anthonymcinnis - have you tried installing TouchVol from Preware? It includes a boost option which could increase the volume for you.
  11.    #11  
    As soon as my phone gets returned from HP I will do Preware and TouchVol.

Thanks so much for the heads up.
  12.    #12  
    MIKEN68, I just found Touchvol.
    It seems to be a Pre 3 and Touchpad app.
    I have the Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Sorry. I have a Pre3 and a Touchpad!