Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Recently installed this out of curiosity as several here mentioned it and sang its praises.

What exactly are the benefits here?

As far as I can tell the Pre2 works and feels exactly the same except battery performance has fallen through the floor even if I switch it to just 2G mode.

Any suggestions before I go back to stock?
    Install the app govnah which controls the speed of uberkernel.

Then let us know what the profile says in govnah.

If it says default, then you are running at default speeds even with uberkernel installed so your battery issues may be related to something else.

You can read up on the various profiles and how to control govnah. There should be an uberkernel thread on webosnation and possibly also an entry for govnah here as well as in the webos internals wiki.

Experimentation with different speeds is your friend.
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    It's running default, I made sure of that when I installed it. Was more intrigued initially by the other enhancements rather then the CPU boost profiles. Had Govnah installed since I got the Pre2.

I'll go back to stock and if battery goes back to normal we'll forget all about it.
    If it's running default, then you're not doing anything, and that's why you can't see any difference. Try running a screenstate or ondemand configuration. You should notice some sort of difference, depending on your clock speed. Also Uberkernel is designed to eliminate the Too Many Cards (TMC) error.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Rnp likes this.
    I used UberKernel and Govnah to extend battery life on my Pre 2...

I agree with bluenote - if you are on Default profile then UberKernel has changed nothing. Battery drain is due to another cause.

In Govnah I set the profile to OnDemandTCL 1200. Tap Preferences > TCP Congestion > Westwood > Apply Settings.

Back in the Preferences Tap CPU Frequency > Up Threshold > toggle that to 75%
    Powersave Bias > toggle that to 10
    Screenstate Enable > toggle to True
    Apply Settings.

These settings (and some patches) really helped me get the most out of my battery.

Under Govnah you can also tap the ? icon at the top right of the menus. Then when you tap any item it calls up a Help dialog to explain what that setting does and you can make informed choices about how you govern your CPU.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    dki378 likes this.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Its back to stock now so that's it really.

Battery was fine till the day I installed it and it went downhill from there so will see how it fares over the next 48hrs.

To be honest I'm thinking long term Touchstone charging isn't a good idea. The heat generated cant be good for a battery. Straight USB charging keeps it all cool.

Now I got me a 64GB Playbook for 129 last week my interest in the Pre2 going forward has nosedived somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

I agree with bluenote - if you are on Default profile then UberKernel has changed nothing. Battery drain is due to another cause.

In Govnah I set the profile to OnDemandTCL 1200. Tap Preferences > TCP Congestion > Westwood > Apply Settings.

Apply Settings.

These settings (and some patches) really helped me get the most out of my battery.

Under Govnah you can also tap the ? icon at the top right of the menus. Then when you tap any item it calls up a Help dialog to explain what that setting does and you can make informed choices about how you govern your CPU.
    I can't say I understand what your suggested settings do...but I'll give it a go! I had Screenstate3 1200 before, but I've set mine the same as what you've suggested. I'll keep an eye on things to see if I get better battery life.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I can't say I understand what your suggested settings do...but I'll give it a go! I had Screenstate3 1200 before, but I've set mine the same as what you've suggested. I'll keep an eye on things to see if I get better battery life.
    I tested all the TCP Congestion settings against a speed test and Westwood yielded the most consistent and fastest results... Data flow efficiency equals less battery usage, yes?

Up threshold standard on that profile is 45%... I increased it to 75% so the CPU does not overclock until it is 75% loaded as opposed to 45% capacity. Less time at 1200 MHz equals less battery drain.

Powersave Bias default is 0 - the settings go up to 100. This setting determines how much power (lower number) vs battery saving (highest number) the CPU uses. 10 is modest enough of an edge toward conservative use that I noticed no lag, yet it scrimps when it can and saves battery.

Screenstate enable determines the MAX CPU speed when the screen is off. The stock setting is 300 MHz. By enabling True my CPU will not rise above 300 MHz if I leave cards open and go to screen saver mode. I don't care if they work slower in the background when I'm not using the phone actively...

Last edited by RumoredNow; 08/30/2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Look, I'm just a simple caveman...found by scientists and thawed out...only I didn't attend Harvard and become a lawyer...that was my brother.

Anyway, thank you for the explanation, it was a a bit more 'caveman level' so it helps me understand a little better. I hope it works and gives me a bit more battery life. And being a caveman, I can't offer you much more than a wheel (I just invented). But I could invite you over to the cave for dinner...we're grilling out this weekend. I also invented fire...although I had a little help from my old lithium battery melting down while overclocking to 5,000 MHz...

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

RumoredNow likes this.

Apply Settings.

OK, since I am running Uberkernel also with Govnah, I decided to give these settings a try on my FrankenPre 2. I switched to OnDemandTCL 1200 profile, but I must be missing something simple when you said to "Tap Preferences >TCP Congestion...." If I bring up Preferences from the Govnah menu, all I have is Theme, Poll Speed, Update Launcher Icon, and Profile List. Ah....do I have to be in Developer Mode to get access to the other settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    OK, since I am running Uberkernel also with Govnah, I decided to give these settings a try on my FrankenPre 2. I switched to OnDemandTCL 1200 profile, but I must be missing something simple when you said to "Tap Preferences >TCP Congestion...." If I bring up Preferences from the Govnah menu, all I have is Theme, Poll Speed, Update Launcher Icon, and Profile List. Ah....do I have to be in Developer Mode to get access to the other settings?
    Actually, on my Govnah, it should be:

"Tap Profile, select OnDemandTcl 1200, then Tap Profile again, and you will see "Advanced Settings" so tap that and TCP Congestion is the 4th item down. Tap it and you will see a page JUST for TCP Congestion where you tap and select Westwood.

Give that a try...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Actually, on my Govnah, it should be:

"Tap Profile, select OnDemandTcl 1200, then Tap Profile again, and you will see "Advanced Settings" so tap that and TCP Congestion is the 4th item down. Tap it and you will see a page JUST for TCP Congestion where you tap and select Westwood.

Give that a try...
    Ah...tapping the profile again. Thanks!
    Ooops... I was still working on coffee #1 when I posted.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    daglesj,

How is battery consumption without UberKernel?

I'd be very surprised if it changed since you were on the default profile which runs exactly like stock

I did remember one thing. Do you have freetether installed? Were you using it when UberKernel was also installed?

There are some reports that freetether + UberKernel can peg your CPU at max after exiting a freetether session... Not sure if that is what you had going on. Just a guess. It doesn't cause that for most users but there seems to be a couple settings that when combined can invoke that issue.

Mobile Nations Devotee

Apply Settings.

On an offtopic note, I'm tweaking my pixi with uberkernel to use most of your settings. Got any tips?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    On an offtopic note, I'm tweaking my pixi with uberkernel to use most of your settings. Got any tips?
    Mostly for me it was reading the help file entries and puzzling out what fits in with the way I use my phone. And if I was unsure then NOT messing with settings (like the voltage adjustments).

Another big factor in making my battery last is, IMHO, some of the patches I installed... I keep brightness and GPS in my device menu. I run 15% screen brightness on my Pre 2 and 25% on my Ver and try hard not to toggle them higher. On both phones I leave GPS toggled to off unless I need it for an App. Placing those in device menu lets me control them more easily if they need to be adjusted.

Also, for Location Services I enabled both GPS and Google Services. It seems to get a fix on me much quicker, thus saving battery.

I monitor two email accounts from my phone. Both are set for manual refresh. I only poke them 2-4 times a day and they lie quietly the rest of the time.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    All back to normal now. Battery back to a couple of days+.

Wasn't using free tether or doing anything different than had Uberkernal installed.

Didn't work for me. Not worth the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    All back to normal now. Battery back to a couple of days+.

Wasn't using free tether or doing anything different than had Uberkernal installed.

Didn't work for me. Not worth the effort.
    Strange...Did you ever follow any of the suggestions BEFORE you went back to stock? I get better performance in operation, and I think battery lasts a bit longer now...probably about 20% longer than before I made Rumorednow's suggested tweaks.

Anyway, it's interesting that when you just install uberkernal, and govnah I suppose, you have a drain on the battery. No explanation for that as far as I can see...but I do wear glasses, so...

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Well the Pre2 only has to last me till Xmas and it's being replaced possibly with the new Nexus (if one appears).

I'm sure there will be lots of exciting choices come December.
    Thanks for the update... It's a head scratcher to be sure.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast