Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Yeah well I've stopped using the Touchstone too.

Basically, looks great but the implementation isn't really there. For one is generates too much heat that isn't really good for the battery long term. Plus I can put the phone on the Touchstone and 40 mins later its boinging like crazy for me to take it off as its charged. Not a very restful process and not really 'set and forget' till you need the phone.

Whereas with USB I just plug it in and it charges with no extra heat and it just sits there till I unplug it. No noise or distraction.

The glamour of it all is wearing off gradually.
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    Yeah well I've stopped using the Touchstone too.

Basically, looks great but the implementation isn't really there. For one is generates too much heat that isn't really good for the battery long term. Plus I can put the phone on the Touchstone and 40 mins later its boinging like crazy for me to take it off as its charged. Not a very restful process and not really 'set and forget' till you need the phone.

Whereas with USB I just plug it in and it charges with no extra heat and it just sits there till I unplug it. No noise or distraction.

The glamour of it all is wearing off gradually.
    Your phone 'boings' like crazy when it's charged when sitting on the touchstone? Mine doesn't do this. Maybe it's a feature that you can turn on and off? The only time mine 'boings' like crazy is when I don't have it sitting correctly on the TS. But it usually does this right away. Of course, if there is an earthquake, maybe it would shift enough to start 'boinging'.

The TS is one of the wonderful things about my webOS/Pre experience. Maybe it isn't as good for the battery, but with standard Palm batteries selling for under $5 on amazon and other sources, does that really matter, especially since you only need your's to last until December? I will say thought that charging via the USB cable is also better on the Pre2 since there is no 'door' to get in the way and no cracking along the screen at the door. My Pre+ had developed the infamous crack that was slowly moving towards the screen...the little door had long since fallen off anyway. I like the Pre2 'door' or lack thereof.

It is strange that your Pre2 seems to have 2 unusual behaviors that the rest of the Pre2's don't...'boinging' behavior when charging is complete on TS, and weird battery drain just because Uberkernal has been installed. Maybe you got a lemon?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I have had 4 Pre phones (2xpre-, pre+, pre2) and they all would vibrate and turn on the screen like crazy on the touchstone. Once they hit 100%, they continue to act like the charging is shut on and off. perhaps it has to do with a patch (vibrate on charge? others?)...
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    No it just does the bingbong noise when you place it on the Touchstone and then it bingbongs again when its charged and then every so often after that I guess to get you to take it off.

Pretty annoying really.

The Pre2 was a nice try but its not growing old gracefully in my opinion.
    Opening the slider when on the Touch Stone does help dissipate heat. I usually have Dr. Battery running when I charge and am monitoring heat along with everything else. Even with the slider closed it has never gotten into the danger zone for me...

Here is some blogging I did about prolonged TS charging, which includes temp reporting, over in the Mugen 1400 battery thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...attery-38.html

These were 8+ hours on the stone to condition a new battery. Temps were pretty normal even over long periods of time.

I don't get the bonging with Pre 2 or Veer. Based on your battery drain, temp problems and bong issues (sorry, not trying to imply any Cheech and Chong stuff) being reported here I think you might benefit from two things. 1) a trip to the Doctor and 2) run jstop to see if you have something in the background that just wont close down properly.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    So when you put your Pre2 on the Touchstone you don't get the bingbong and the message "Charging"?

If that's the case I'd say your Pre2 was faulty or has different charging notification settings.

I only then get another bingbong once its charged on the Touchstone. I guess because keeping it on there still keeps the heat up and isn't a good thing. Hence why it then bingbongs every couple of minutes till you take it off.
    I get bingbong when I place it on there to let me know it is seated properly. If it bingbongs again when at 100% I haven't really noticed so it must just do it once...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I just had a thought...

Do you have the stock usb cable connected to the TS? You might have an impedance issue with a non Palm/HP cable and that might cause the extra bonging? Just a wild guess...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Lol, no its the standard HP cable.

As far as I am concerned the bingbong "battery charged" alert every couple of minutes once the battery is charged is a good thing with regards to getting the 'warm' phone off the Touchstone.

However, its just a pain in the backside to have to go over to the desk while watching TV to take it off once charged or as I found out one night soon after buying it, an hour after you have gone to bed.
    The chimes might be due to excessive heat... a warning...

1) charge with slider open
    2) Try JsTop to see if you have something that doesn't shut down JsTop
    3) Doctor that bad freddy

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    If I have to charge with slider open then its just plain bad design. Thats to be expected as this is fairly early days with this kind of charging with phones. My electric toothbrush does it perfectly but Braun have been into this kind of charging for a long while.

It's all a bit moot now though really. I really cant be bothered to Doctor it this late in the game.
    LOL... toothbrush...

I'm sorry you are soured on it. Users are trying to tell you it isn't normal behavior. I charge mine with the slider closed and no heat problems. There is a cause, but not necessarily the design. I was simply trying to point you at some help, both temporary stop gaps and more permanent measures.

Best of luck.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    When I first installed UK, my battery life was a bit worse. After playing with it for a while, the Lag Free governor worked best for me.

As for the touchstone, I am sure that additional heat was taken into consideration by design.

@daglesj......you thinking of selling the Pre 2 once you switch??
    Speaking of toothbrushes...google Space Station Toothbrush repair and you will find how indispensable the toothbrush really is!

My bongbong behavior is very much like Rumorednow's. I get the bong and message 'Charging Battery' if I seat it correctly. Then I get nothing else as far as I have noticed. I don't think I get a bong when it gets to 100% charge...but I'm not paying attention to that exact point. I suppose I'll need to get the OTHER kind of bong, light it up, and patiently wait for the 'bong'. Although I might hallucinate, so...

The only time I get repetitive bongs, other than at the annual Woodstock conventions, is when I DON'T properly seat the Pre on the TS. Then it bongs every few seconds.

I've not noticed heat problems on the TS, but I've not done as much monitoring as others have done. The inductive charging on my Pre+ and Pre2 are stellar, and are a big draw to me for this phone. I'm sorry a few others have had issues regarding the charging, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule for these devices. I'll be interested to hear how the new Nokia's that have inductive charging perform.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    LOL... toothbrush...

I'm sorry you are soured on it. Users are trying to tell you it isn't normal behavior. I charge mine with the slider closed and no heat problems. There is a cause, but not necessarily the design. I was simply trying to point you at some help, both temporary stop gaps and more permanent measures.

Best of luck.
    Oh its not really soured and I appreciate the help. Its just going forward the Pre2 has to go. Not because I don't like the phone but I really need to get NFC and e-payment apps to help with my business and the poor old Pre2 wont be getting that.

Its been a fun phone over the past 12 months I've been using it but time marches on and a year is a long time in phone tech and applications.

I must say the new Nokia 920 looks rather swish. Just a shame they are now glossy.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I'm kind of used to the fact that when I use my phone (browsing, chatting etc) I can literally see the battery drain.
    However the consumption is also huge when the phone is idle.
    In Govnah I see that the current even when idle has many peaks over 100 mA.
    I used the Screenstate profile but didn't see any improvement tbh.
    Any ideas or settings?
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    My personal suspicion about poor battery performance on the Pre range is due to them having a subpar radio setup and antenna, especially for 3G/data use. Not so bad with 2G but above that is really poor.

Basically the poor phone is always trying really hard to get decent performance with the hardware it has.
    I have many touchstones. I have seen the boinging noise but it only happens in one room. I tried different touchstone and I am pretty sure that if the touchstone is connected correctly and it makes the noise when charged its something about the power source that causes it. Also true for touchstone in car.

As for me I can't go back to life without touchstones, whether it be at home, work or car
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I'm kind of used to the fact that when I use my phone (browsing, chatting etc) I can literally see the battery drain.
    However the consumption is also huge when the phone is idle.
    In Govnah I see that the current even when idle has many peaks over 100 mA.
    I used the Screenstate profile but didn't see any improvement tbh.
    Any ideas or settings?
    The best idea, IMHO, is to go through Govnah settings one by one after tapping the ? help icon and read the help files... That way you can see what each does and get a better picture of how they affect each other and how your style of phone use might affect the usefulness of each setting.

Honestly... I know I've seen descriptions of what the various profile titles do when applied... But I've searched my phone and Internals wiki for about 30 minutes and can't find them... They are out there... somewhere...

If I remember correctly: Screenstate profile mainly concerns itself with, well, screen state. It's a 0/1 sort of thing. Is the screen off (0) then act thus. Is the screen on (1) then act so. I see a lot more flexibility and options in OnDemand. You can set when you demand the CPU to overclock and when you demand the CPU to save power. There is a screenstate subset in there too so you don't loose out on saving battery when in screen saver mode.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    My phone was doing the same thing on the charger, but recently (knock on wood) it seems to have corrected itself. Also I have finally set my Govnah settings to something suitable for my needs, my battery has plenty of juice left at the end of the day.

And aging as the Pre 2 might be, it still never fails to attract attention, people always ask what kind of phone I'm using because it is so unique looking.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast