Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    This week, I pulled out my Pre and tried to look the location of a common store (Wal-Mart) to see where they were in the city.

Even if it would be properly located to my position, all searches brings me to another city in another country. (I'm in Canada and it brings up Arkansa in the US).

So I tested something that I had looked up before (Chinese food), and again, it fails and gets no results.

If I enter an address it appears to work, but barely, lots of false/bad results if I get anything a bit off, as per before, it would give me a much better list of possibilities, at least local ones.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    I have the same problem on my Pixi. Search for Starbucks and it gives me Starbuck, WA. Not exactly useful.
  3. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    It seems like it has stopped finding businesses. It is now 100% useless
    Hmm... that's odd.

As an alternative, have you tried the homebrew google maps app? its quite good
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    You can also use the Yelp app, do the search there and then it will launch Maps with the address. Or, you can once again give up on your Pixi like me and sadly go back to your old reliable Treo Pro...
    WOW!!! I just tried my map and it did the same thing. I also use the google one and Yelp so I find this map useless anyhow, wish I could delete it.
    Didn't realize how worthless it was. Was it always like that? I used it so little I can't remember. Perhaps MS (Bing) changed the search back-end it uses and broke business/place name searches.

Three cheers for homebrew Google Maps for keeping maps useful on webOS.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I live in the UK, in Norfolk. I just typed in 'McDonalds' and I got directed to a McD's just NE of Tulsa.

Hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    I live in the UK, in Norfolk. I just typed in 'McDonalds' and I got directed to a McD's just NE of Tulsa.

Hilarious.
    That would be the famous(?) McDonalds that spans the highway there south of Vinita, OK. We've stopped there several times on our way to Texas. The kids get a kick out of it. The first time anyway. If you zoom in in Satellite view you can see the gray part of the roof, which is the actual restaurant, and is accessible from both sides of the interstate via the parts of the building with the darker roofs.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/17/2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That would be the famous? McDonalds that spans the highway there south of Vinita, OK. We've stopped there several times on our way to Texas. The kids get a kick out of it. The first time anyway. If you zoom in in Satellite view you can see the gray part of the roof, which is the actual restaurant, and is accessible from both sides of the interstate via the parts of the building with the darker roofs.
    Okay first of all that's insane.

Second I have rarely (maybe never) used the bing maps app. My guess would be this is an issue with the bing service and how the app communicates. From the sound of it, it is pulling the location of the top bing search result.... Wal-Mart being from AK, Starbucks WA...

Wondering is MS tweaked and API and broke the app.... I hate bing anyways.

Eh the more I test it, I may be wrong.... search is all kinds of wonky
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I also think MS broke the back-end. But I don't know that I ever did a business search in the new Maps app. It's almost like there are place nicknames in their data. Bentonville aka Wal-Mart, AR; Vinita aka McDonald's, OK; Seattle aka Starbucks, WA. Maybe?
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Okay first of all that's insane.
    LOL yeah I suppose it is.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    The YP Mobile app is also a good app for looking up businesses, and displays a pretty decent map too.
    Yeah, I use that app when I remember it. Used to use that site all the time on my PC until Google maps came along and clobbered everybody
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Probably updated the API just not bothered to update it for WebOS?
    it is always possible it's a two sided thing (like the google just type search)...

sure google (or bing in this case) updated something, but the software can be updated to work as normal if someone does that (at least in the case of the google search)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Same thing for me. Search for Restaurant= Restaurant, South Africa; Coffee=Coffee Park, TX; Pizza=Pizzo, Cal., Italy; etc. ***? BTW, I'm currently in Charlotte, NC.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    YPMobile doesn't work right for me now either. I guess I need to try the Google Maps app from Preware again; last time I tried it on my Pre3 it would just get really slow then reboot the phone. There have been updates since then, so maybe it's fixed now...
    He just got a Pre3 and the latest release contains some Pre3 performance improvements.
    right you are, the latest google maps works much better on the pre3. when I search I actually get the results I want!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast