Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    "get neither lol they're both old buy a galaxy one nexus III X instead"

I'll preface this post that I'm absolutely amazed at how much compute power you can buy for so cheap through used smartphones. For 130 bucks, I could grab a great older (God forbid!) phone such as a Motorola Atrix, a Nokia Lumia 710, a HTC Thunderbolt, a HTC EVO 3D... Combine this with a good prepaid plan and you'd be saving a LOT of money while still having all the fun toys. It's a poor college kid's wonderland right there.

Of course, I COULD get one of those... but WebOS has outright spoiled me. The only reason I'd use Android full-time at this point is Jelly Bean, and iOS just feels wimpy to me. I haven't used Windows 7 yet, but hey, maybe if I had more money... I also already have a Touchpad (which I have EASILY gotten the 150 dollars worth I spent on it and will still continue to do so) that fits my Android needs.

Anyways, I currently still use a VZW Pre Plus on Page Plus. I'm still decently satisfied (Impossible, I must be crazy being satisfied with anything other than the latest 200 dollar phone on contract!) but it IS getting a bit old... The Pre 2 or Veer could be had for a mere 70 dollars and I've been eyeing for a simple upgrade, something I can just port my stuff over to and place on top of a touchstone. I'd probably use a Pre 2 on Page Plus's 30 dollar plan (it's a bit data weak) or the Veer on T-Mobile's 30 dollar plan (Coverage is good around here).

I know the basic differences between the devices; the Veer's size actually attracts me, but at the same time, the Pre/Pre 2 size has been perfectly suitable... Magnetic connectors won't bother me considering I rarely use headphones and I use the touchstone for charging.

For anyone who has used both of these phones, what is your opinion? Which one is "faster"? Which one has better homebrew support\modified experience after patching/OC? Which one cooperates better with the Touchpad (if at all)? How does the keyboard compare? Which one has the better screen (disregarding screen size)? Camera? Physical build quality/durability?
    kataran likes this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Note: No flash on the Veer,

And If you need skype on your Pre 2 verizon, you'll need to meta-doctor.
    I believe there's lots on this topic already. I'd use search (kinda because I think I also did a large difference compilation post and dont want to search and repost everything)

The Veer needs some hacking to work with the TP (it never got an update, and the Pre 2 won't do any TTS (but will share texts in 2.2.4) because its older hardware.)

I've heard the Veer's keyboard is better albeit smaller.

The Pre 2 has a screen that can display more colors. (80 more pixels too)

Veer has no flash (has a lanyard loop btw)

Veer is also built better, since the Pre 2 is still based on the old Pre's chassis.

and there's a few more differences etc
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I do have both... But I've only been a webOS head since April so take this with a grain of salt.

I think the Pre 2 would fit more of your classic approach and has a fuller homebrew support.

However, I like my Veer as a daily driver. I find it snappy and responsive, great call clarity and battery life too.

If you are a power user you will probably want the Pre 2 for the screen size when on-line or gaming.

Really it is going to come down to what you use it for:
    Talk - Veer
    Text - either
    IM - either
    Email - Pre 2
    Games - Pre 2
    Browser - Pre 2
    Documents - Pre 2
    (all 4 of above due to screen size only)
    Data speed - Veer (note that on T-Mo you would probably only get EDGE speed so maybe a different plan to take advantage of H+)
    Pocketability - Veer
    Keyboard - either (Pre 2 for size, Veer for "feeling")

I've found them both about the same for tweaking and getting them to run smooth. Veer can actually be Overclocked higher even though I've found no need to go above 1.2GHz with mine.

IDK... I just like the Veer better, but I'm not relying on it to be a Video Player/Browser go to device. YMMV.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    The only thing that kept me from getting the Veer was the fact that you have to carry around that headset jack. I was a big fan of the Pixi and was looking at the Veer but when I discovered that, it turned me off. I am always plugging in my ear buds to listen to music, but if that doesn't bother you and you like the smaller screen then I say go with the Veer, though I am loving my Pre 2, but homebrew has made that possible, along with the uberkernel to eliminate that awful TMC error.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
    The only thing that kept me from getting the Veer was the fact that you have to carry around that headset jack. I was a big fan of the Pixi and was looking at the Veer but when I discovered that, it turned me off. I am always plugging in my ear buds to listen to music, but if that doesn't bother you and you like the smaller screen then I say go with the Veer, though I am loving my Pre 2, but homebrew has made that possible, along with the uberkernel to eliminate that awful TMC error.
    Not too happy about the magnetic headset connector, so opted for a SonyEricsson MW-600 as BlueTooth headset instead
    you could always leave the dongle attached to the headphones
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Veer has only 8GB USB storage so if your a bit and byte hog I would go for the Pre2
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Pre3?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Well an Unlocked GSM Pre 2 like my own uses the 2.2.4 OS, just like the Veer, really the build quality I guess to an extent can be given to the Veer. But you have to deal with the awkward propietary charger and headphone jack which you don't have to deal with on the Pre 2. Both devices are Touchstone compatible and really are kinda the same on battery with the Pre 2 having a slightly bigger one that can be replaced to a monster 2800MAH battery that the Veer can't even match. Hardware wise the Pre 2 uses a higher clocked processor at 1GHZ while the Veer uses an 800MHZ processor, both use the exact amount of Ram.Um really it comes down what you want, I think the Veer is not the best choice due to the propiertary chargers and headphone jack are easily misplaced so really the Pre 2 is the better phone all around.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    Well an Unlocked GSM Pre 2 like my own uses the 2.2.4 OS, just like the Veer
    Just to clarify Veer is 2.1.2 in US and I think 2.1 in the unlocked version (maybe 2.1.1 can't remember)... there are ways to upgrade to 2.2.4, but they are unofficial and individual success rate has varied (personally haven't tried it). If you have a TP there is an argument for risking your Veer for 2.2.x for SMS sharing etc... I personally don't SMS share much and neither does the wife.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Wait I thought it was most current build and it came from an OTA? Well reguardless, I feel the Pre 2 is a better phone but it is up to the person to decide.
    Nope haven't heard of any OTA update, done with re-engineered doctors from what I know.
    Actually the Pre 2 Unlocked version got it as an OTA lol I checked on the wiki page...
    I was talking about Veer.... We own two 2.2.4 Pre2s

Some Veers did pop up on ebay with 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 internal build on em, and the current versions being installed were reverse engineered from there AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Herrie$ $would$ $be$ $the$ $expert$ $on$ $this$ $IRIC$
    Oh ok, I'm sorry I thought you were talking about the Pre 2, I know that the Veer does not have it and the 2.2.4 update was made availible for the Pre 2 and Pre 3.
    It's all good, look where I quoted you above, just trying to clarify that statement for the OP or anyone since it read like the Veer may have received 2.2.4
    I should've clarified. Reguardless, I feel the Pre 2 is a better phone for what I've listed and for the fact that it runs the latest version of WebOS.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    Actually the Pre 2 Unlocked version got it as an OTA lol I checked on the wiki page...
    I was actually the one who made that edit!

its worth noting the Pre's headphone jack is a bit flaky, sometimes being stuck in headset mode.
    Still it,s a great phone over the Veer. Actually to be fair I do feel that the Veer does have better build quality. Bubt hardware, and size goes to the Pre 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast