Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    I do like the KB on the Veer/Pre3 better than Pre2. I never had a problem with the Palm built keyboards, but one I used the Veer... and now with the Pre3 the Pre2 KB feels weird.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I've given up using the Pre2 for web. It just doesn't cut it for me. A Pre3 would probably work a little better. The camera is also next to useless IMO. Bad focus and way too much compression.

I now pretty much just use it for calls, Calender and Gmail. For that it works a treat.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    the veer is a failure due to its nonstandard power and headset connectors, and deservedly so.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    the veer is a failure due to its nonstandard power and headset connectors, and deservedly so.
    This has been discussed ad nauseum I will just say I do not agree with the above... it has been years now since I have used a plug in charger and VERY rarely use a plug in headphone jack (car, home, work, etc).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    So will it not be a good idea until Apple copies it? Oh wait they already use a non-standard power connector!

That has nothing to do with the Veer's failure.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    OldSkoolVWLover and Rnp like this.
  6.    #26  
    Ahh, thank you everyone! I'm honestly leaning towards the Veer now. I'll answer these posts randomly as they pop in my head:

Yeah, there were other topics that discussed this, but they were rather... dated, especially considering available homebrew. There's also the whole "veer isn't slab phone 0/10 terrible" or equivalent prejudice that existed a lot back then and wanted to make sure I got a clean opinion when people have given it all time to sink in. It's not just differences I wanted - after all, those are easy to find - I mainly wanted first-hand opinions from WebOS fans.

The magnetic plugs aren't a big deal to me - I rarely use headphones in my Pre Plus and I rarely use the USB cord in it also (yay touchstone). I use my TP for all of my media purposes (except maybe using my Sansa Clip+ when I'm particularly picky about sound quality/headphone choice with music).

T-Mobile has been apparently rolling out their new network in my area (Philadelphia, PA area), so it seems I'll probably have a good chance of getting 3G if I have the Veer. Besides, it's better to have slow "unlimited" than a pathetic amount of full-speed data.

What's the deal with 2.2.3/4 on Veer? I can brick the phone trying that?

I really don't do much with my Pre Plus - phone calls, texting, and some website hopping. I'll probably start watching youtube videos if I have a relevant data connection, though, but ultimately both phones can suit my need in terms of "productivity". The size, style, and convenience of the Veer is kinda attracting me...
    Honestly, if you use your phone to browse the internet at all, the Veer is gonna be terrible. Even on the Pre 2, I find myself squinting or zooming/panning. Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the Veer has less apps than the Pre 2 because it uses a different resolution like the Pixi.
    Sprint FrankenPre 2
    webOS 2.2.4
    Verizon donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Assimilator87 View Post
    Honestly, if you use your phone to browse the internet at all, the Veer is gonna be terrible. Even on the Pre 2, I find myself squinting or zooming/panning. Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the Veer has less apps than the Pre 2 because it uses a different resolution like the Pixi.
    Since you are on sprint I am going to guess you haven't used the Veer.

As someone who used the Veer as a daily use phone, browsing isn't that bad. I would suggest that anyone planning on doing a lot of web based reading on the device look into some form of RSS feeds and an accompanying app to read them with. Basic browsing on the Veer was actually more enjoyable than on the Pre3 for some reason the hardware setup on the Veer handles the browser much better.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penopata View Post
    What's the deal with 2.2.3/4 on Veer? I can brick the phone trying that?
    Yeah, I guess you can due to the ARM 6 chip, but I'm not sure how many have bricked a Veer. I'm happy enough with 2.1.2 and too lazy to MetaDoctor.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Since you are on sprint I am going to guess you haven't used the Veer.

As someone who used the Veer as a daily use phone, browsing isn't that bad. I would suggest that anyone planning on doing a lot of web based reading on the device look into some form of RSS feeds and an accompanying app to read them with. Basic browsing on the Veer was actually more enjoyable than on the Pre3 for some reason the hardware setup on the Veer handles the browser much better.
    Just going off Pre 2 vs Veer - Veer really seems "optimized" in a lot of areas. I agree it's enjoyable to work with.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I feel if your gonna use the Veer you need to understand there are limitations. Firstly, it does have a small screen at 2.6 inch's, which could hamper a person depending on what you want to do with it and for my Veer, I do not web browse on it, I do though watch Youtube videos and that works vert well for me. Secondly, the magnetic dock for the headphone jack can be lost and that always bothers me about my Veer when I do decide to use it. Finally, the last gripe that keeps it from being my primary webOS phone is that the battery is very small at 910Mah, which is very bad for me as I am a power user, my Pre 2 uses a 2800MAH Sileco battery, that allows it to last forever on a single charge even though I give up my Touchstone for it.

The Pro's of the phone though may outweigh it's negatives for you. I love the design asthetic of the phone, as I think the Black and White colors that it can come in are very attractive when you set it next to a Touchpad. Secondly, the build quality is very high compared to a few of the other Palm devices. Thirdly, the processor downgrade is not really noticeible to the average user but I'm very picky on having high end hardware so it may not be that noticible to you. Finally, the keyboard on the Veer is better for typing than on the Pre 2, which is a plus if you txt a lot which I assume you will considering it is a phone ;P. Anyway, good luck on your choice.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12