Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By kyleprettyman
  • 1 Post By PalmLives
  1.    #1  
    Hi friends,
    I have been on my Pre- on Sprint since the beginning. Now I would like to franken pre. I have read the wiki 5 times and, watched all the videos. I have had Ubuntu for a week now and, have been learning how it works.... I like it! I have got to the meta doctor step and when I do the sudo get java 6 comand I get this.........

kyle@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    [sudo] password for kyle:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package sun-java6-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'sun-java6-jre' has no installation candidate
    kyle@ubuntu:~$

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleprettyman View Post
    Hi friends,
    I have been on my Pre- on Sprint since the beginning. Now I would like to franken pre. I have read the wiki 5 times and, watched all the videos. I have had Ubuntu for a week now and, have been learning how it works.... I like it! I have got to the meta doctor step and when I do the sudo get java 6 comand I get this.........

kyle@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    [sudo] password for kyle:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package sun-java6-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'sun-java6-jre' has no installation candidate
    kyle@ubuntu:~$

Any suggestions?
    I has this problem too. I had to find another way to get java installed. I think I googled something and found one that worked. Don't remember finding anything on here
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmills3 View Post
    I has this problem too. I had to find another way to get java installed. I think I googled something and found one that worked. Don't remember finding anything on here
    I downloaded Java from the link in the wiki under this step but, it still is doing it? I must be missing something?
  4.    #4  
    So, I tried this morning and, terminal said itt was already installed.... meta-doctor is downloading the scripts as I type!
    Things sure have changed around here. This post would have had more than one reply in a day, a year ago
    Tell me about it. I guess almost everyone has gone Android or iOs.
    So, I tried this morning and, terminal said itt was already installed.... meta-doctor is downloading the scripts as I type!
    Things sure have changed around here. This post would have had more than one reply in a day, a year ago
  6.    #6  
    Ok friends,
    I got the franken pre up and, running. Everything looks like it is working fine.... but, I have no sound on the external speaker? When I get calls I have it set to vibrate and, ring... I don't even get a vibrate?
  7.    #7  
    Well, I just doctored it again and now I have vibrate when it rings Just no external speaker?
    Well, I just doctored it again and now I have vibrate when it rings Just no external speaker?

Power down and take our your battery. Then check and see if that thin flat black plastic pull-tab got tucked under the rear bezel when you were reassembling. That's been known to happen and would definitely block the metal contacts for your external speaker. You can slowly but firmly pull it loose without disassembing anything.
    That's what I was going to suggest - make sure that the speaker didn't get disconnected or the metal contacts blocked. Good luck!
  10.    #10  
    thanks guys! It was a bad connection. Now if I can just find the sprint navigation files without downloading a virus... This would be the perfect phone!
    we need hardware....
  12.    #12  
    I love my new frankenpre!! And, I am really liking Ubuntu on my pc.
  13.    #13  
    So, my new pre2 worked great for a week or two. I got smart and, put Govnah on it and, now my Phone dialer app speed sucks! 10 to 20 seconds for it to even open! I did EPR thinking it was one of my patches. I removed the kernel for govnah with preware.. I did a restart with battery pull, it is still acting up all day? takes for ever to open apps and, once apps are open it scrolls really slow or not at all.
    Please, if there is a way to fix without doctoring let me know. Will Webos repair utility work?
  14.    #14  
    Well, I think I fixed the problem... I opened Govnah and, hit profile... it had 2 labled palm default... I tried the second one and, it works like a champ again!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Well, I think I fixed the problem... I opened Govnah and, hit profile... it had 2 labled palm default... I tried the second one and, it works like a champ again!
    Congrats!! Have fun, it is a great device.
    m100, m125, T/X, 755p, Pixi, FrankenPixi+, Pre, FrankenPre2, TP#1 32GB (WebOS-LunaCE, LunOS & CM11), TP#2 (JCS CM11 only), Nexus 4, ????
    kyleprettyman likes this.
    Been on a Sprint Pre since launch day and today am going through the Franken Pre 2 process. Switched the comm boards and now downloading the needed packages for Ubuntu. Excitied to get a few more years of webOS on good hardware.