1.    #1  
    I've noticed that sometimes my Pre2 on VZW running webOS 2.1 can't or won't connect to wifi. It might have been connected, then when I pick up the phone to use it, there is no wifi symbol on the top bar. I open the top bar menu and see different things. Sometimes it says wifi is off, but there is a spinning wheel like it's trying to start up and/or connect. There is often a submenu item just below that says "Turn Wifi Off"...remember just above it says the wifi is off. I can then go to the wifi system app and open it, and the virtual switch will be to wifi OFF. I can 'slide' it to on, but the words "wifi is turned off" just stay there.

Sometimes a down swipe to open the top bar menu won't do anything. I will restart the Pre2 and it usually works again.

Why? What?....and of course How to fix?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

^I noticed the exact same thing in regards to the top bar not responding. Seems to happen to me when I am using or toggling wifi in the pull down menu.

I do a luna restart when it happens, don't really know what would cause it. I seem to remember it happening even when it was freshly doctored, so I don't think it is related to patches or the kernel.
  3.    #3  
    Weird. I wish we could figure out what was causing this. I'll put together a list of the patches I am running, maybe that will be a clue. Is there a way to do a Luna Restart without starting up Preware? I seem to recall someone came up with a patch or 'app' that gives quick access to do a Luna Restart...or did I just dream that?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

There's a patch that will add Luna Restart to the shutdown/restart menu .. don't recall it's exact name though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    There is a standalone luna manager (app) in Preware as well.

On a side note, I have also noticed that occasionally my phone is slow to wake up when I push the power button.
    Wonder if these could be related.

I too would like to get to the bottom of it...
  6.    #6  
    Last night i had the familiar 'no wifi' bug. In this case, the top menu on the right side was not active. The menu on the left was active within an app. I tried a luna restart. The menu was now active, but you could not start wifi. I did a full restart, and wifi was restored.

INSTALLED PATCHES
    Battery Percent as Icon (v2.1.0-11 - nesl247, Jason Robitaille, CRaiaSoftware, pcworld)
    Buttah (v2.1.0-190 - WebOS Internals)
    Date as Carrier String (v2.1.0=3 - JR)
    Device Menu Alternate Mix (v.2.1.0-2 - JR & Warlord9159 & CRaiaSoftware)
    Device Temperature Warnings v2.1.0-3 - JR)
    PDF Redux (v2.1.0-4 - akamil, pcworld)
    Save Attachments to Downloads Folder (v2.1.0-39 - JR)
    Unthrottle Download Manager (v2.1.0-160 - diomark, JR)

I also have Tweaks (v.3.0.1 - WebOS Internals) installed. Is that a problem? I can't remember why I installed this...and with a version number like that...is this intended only for the TouchPad (or WebOS v3.x)? It looks like it also supports the Pre3...

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Tweaks works fine for the Pre2. There are some "tweak" compatible patches you can change from there. It is useful and I don't believe it's the problem.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    INSTALLED PATCHES
    Battery Percent as Icon (v2.1.0-11 - nesl247, Jason Robitaille, CRaiaSoftware, pcworld)
    Buttah (v2.1.0-190 - WebOS Internals)
    PDF Redux (v2.1.0-4 - akamil, pcworld)
    Save Attachments to Downloads Folder (v2.1.0-39 - JR)
    Unthrottle Download Manager (v2.1.0-160 - diomark, JR)
    Well I'm going to remove all the top bar patches one at a time (with a luna restart between each one, just to be sure). Then we will see if the problem persists. I'm hopeful this will do it...but maybe it will only take care of the unresponsive top bar right side menu dropdown issue (huh?). As I think I said before, there are two things happening here:

1. Wifi can't connect or find and connect to available networks...just sits and spins...or nothing.
    2. No access to drop down menu (downstroke slide from top right side of top bar to get menu).

I don't recall having these issues before I started installing these patches. Too bad...I wanted them to work.

So I am removing these:

I'll report back after a few days to see if it did the job...gonna miss that flashlight, date string, etc.

9.    #9  
    so far so good. 6 hours after removing patches, wifi has been functioning normally.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I run Battery Percent as Icon, Device Temperature Warnings, and Device Menu Megamix w/ Airplane Mode with NO WiFi issues. However, I'm on 2.2.4 if that matters. I'd think that Battery Percent and Device Temp should run fine.

Good luck!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  11.    #11  
    All is still well with my wifi use.

Well, maybe I'm impatient, but I think I'd like to 're-enhance' my top bar performance and options. What about going at this with the Tweaks? Maybe if I try to use patching that was designed to work together, instead of creating a Christmas Tree wiring nightmare of patches. So, I'm wondering if I should choose patches which are 'tweakable'. I have read the Tweaks wiki, so I'm thinking of trying to pick tweakable patches. I'm not sure if this will get me some of the Top Bar enhancements and menu choices I like, but maybe it is a start.

Here is what I was thinking of doing...please tell me if I'm wrong.

Install Advanced System Behavior Tweak, then install Advanced System Menus - Framework Tweak. (Should I choose the ATT/VZW version since I have a VZW phone?). Once those are installed, then do I look for Patches that can be supported by that tweaking framework I just installed?

If so, then, do I install the Patches Advanced System Menus (ASM) - App Menu and then ASM other menus like Mode, Power, Today, Calendar, etc. I guess these are much more broad than my initial desire for the top menu options, but I'm just learning about this.

12.    #12  
    Oops...my impatience is messing me up. My wifi turned itself off, and although I can drop down the right top bar and tap on wifi, the wheel of nausea starts spinning and never stops...the menu never goes away on it's own. No wifi again. So, it wasn't conflicts with a possible hodge-podge of patches for the top bar. I don't know what it is. I could try removing uberkernal and govnah...run stock...maybe see if that has any effect.

^That's what I was going to ask, about what kernel you were using. I run UK because I get better battery life but I would not mind reverting back to stock if it solves the issue.
    I've seen the wifi apparently not connect on my Pre 2 - but all I've ever had to do was disable wifi then reenable wifi and the phone quickly reconnects. FWIW, I've never needed to do a luna restart to get it working again. OTOH, bluetooth reconnection (under 2.2.4) requires a restart every couple of days.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    ^That's what I was going to ask, about what kernel you were using. I run UK because I get better battery life but I would not mind reverting back to stock if it solves the issue.
    I've been running Uberkernal's Screenstate3 1200 profile on Govnah.

Kayphoonstar,

Sometimes I can open the top right dropdown menu and tap on wifi and turn it on. But it just starts the spinning wheel and nothing ever happens...in fact, it is doing that right now. I had wifi on this morning...but at some point it 'went away' and if I try to start wifi, this is what I get. The drop down menu stays up with the spinning wheel, is says it is off.

Other times, I can't activate the drop down menu. That is why I thought the patches messing with my top bar might have caused some conflict.

I'll just throw the "standard info" out there: try putting your router to channel 2, and leave your phone near it for a night.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I'll just throw the "standard info" out there: try putting your router to channel 2, and leave your phone near it for a night.
    OK...but it's not just my home wifi network that is the issue, it seems the Pre2 wifi radio stops functioning independent of where I am and what routers I am trying to connect to...but maybe you've got something here.

I don't recall what channel I set my Router to...I think I chose a less common one (most are 1 6, or 11 by default) but I should check.

So what happens overnight while my pre2 is sitting next to the router? Are they getting to know each other better? Wait, maybe that's gonna be TMI?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    OK...but it's not just my home wifi network that is the issue, it seems the Pre2 wifi radio stops functioning independent of where I am and what routers I am trying to connect to...but maybe you've got something here.

I don't recall what channel I set my Router to...I think I chose a less common one (most are 1 6, or 11 by default) but I should check.

So what happens overnight while my pre2 is sitting next to the router? Are they getting to know each other better? Wait, maybe that's gonna be TMI?
    It seems it connects better if it has some sort of signal to "bootstrap" it. Not sure how it works, but my TouchPad seemed to become less picky when it wants to connect when I put it next to a spare router I had.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    It seems it connects better if it has some sort of signal to "bootstrap" it. Not sure how it works, but my TouchPad seemed to become less picky when it wants to connect when I put it next to a spare router I had.
    Thanks...I'll give it a go.

Surrounded by oilsands are you? Would Albion be a name you are familiar with?

Was there any update to your WiFi issues? You describe what I'm having with Verizon Pre 2 with 2.1.0. Very annoying as I have Mode Switcher installed to change modes based on if I connect to my home or if I connect to work.

When the phone screen locks, I usually run into the dropped WiFi with the spinning wheel or can't get a menu to start. Restarting the device sometimes doesn't clear it either! Very unstable.