Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ami mizuno
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone. Just wanted to give a thanks for all the help (lurking) and possibly ask for more

I was a webOS fan from day 1 with my sprint pre-. sadly i was tricked into moving over to android. Before I could get back it appeared webOS had all but died and I cried a little inside. Fortunately I rediscovered this site and took a plunge. Got my verizon pre 2 3 weeks ago and got it all patched up (lol preware is awsome).

It started with 2.0 but immediately gave me a 2.1 OTA update. So a few questions pop to mind.

1. I dont see a doctor for verizon above 2.1 is it possible to update further or should i wait for the pre3 (when i get the money that is)?

2. Im using YouView for visual voicemail as verizon says they have nothing for my phone (I didnt want to pay 4.99 a month anyway) however it seems youmail doesnt send a push right away. the fastest was about 4 minutes and a few over an hour. Is that common with youmail?

Well thats all for now im sure more will come. Im an x86 developer familiar with c* and asm but am considering dev'ing for webOS. Once i get enough time (work about 80 hrs/week) to get over the slight learning curve.

Thanks all. Its good to be back on webOS

P.S.
    My activation with verizon went very smoothly. took all of about 1 minute even though they said it could take up to 4 hours to port my number. I have experienced Zero problems with the phone and use it as my ONLY phone for both work and home.
    hotlynx69 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ami mizuno View Post
    Hello everyone. Just wanted to give a thanks for all the help (lurking) and possibly ask for more

I was a webOS fan from day 1 with my sprint pre-. sadly i was tricked into moving over to android. Before I could get back it appeared webOS had all but died and I cried a little inside. Fortunately I rediscovered this site and took a plunge. Got my verizon pre 2 3 weeks ago and got it all patched up (lol preware is awsome).

It started with 2.0 but immediately gave me a 2.1 OTA update. So a few questions pop to mind.

1. I dont see a doctor for verizon above 2.1 is it possible to update further or should i wait for the pre3 (when i get the money that is)?

2. Im using YouView for visual voicemail as verizon says they have nothing for my phone (I didnt want to pay 4.99 a month anyway) however it seems youmail doesnt send a push right away. the fastest was about 4 minutes and a few over an hour. Is that common with youmail?

Well thats all for now im sure more will come. Im an x86 developer familiar with c* and asm but am considering dev'ing for webOS. Once i get enough time (work about 80 hrs/week) to get over the slight learning curve.

P.S.
    My activation with verizon went very smoothly. took all of about 1 minute even though they said it could take up to 4 hours to port my number. I have experienced Zero problems with the phone and use it as my ONLY phone for both work and home.
    There is a script (super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4) in the meta doctor application to bring a Verizon Pre2 to webOS 2.2.4 (included are the updated Verizon Apps).
  3.    #3  
    wow thanks john that was fast. maybe im not reading right webOS doctor != meta doctor correct? Ill do some more research on that i suppose. Also Im assuming ill need to uninstall all my patches etc.. correct?
    wow thanks john that was fast. maybe im not reading right webOS doctor != meta doctor correct? Ill do some more research on that i suppose. Also Im assuming ill need to uninstall all my patches etc.. correct?
    Yes, there is no OTA for Verizon devices (at this time), however, the meta doctor application will take the existing HP/Palm Doctor and transform it, to function on other devices.

A Pre2 is a Pre2, carrier, modem type may differ but the hardware is the same.

For the most part webOS 2.1.0 for Pre2 is the same, some went to webOS 2.1.0 (WR/ROW-build 108), when Verizon was still at webOS 2.0.1, they got OTA to webOS 2.2.4. Compare the Verizon build of webOS 2.1.0 (124) there are a few differences mostly carrier apps, but a few stock apps to.

Skype Mobile is part of Verizon's build, which was not part of the WR/ROW builds.

Skype (direct) is part of webOS 2.2.4 works over Data or WiFi, Skype Mobile only works over Verizon's data network.
  5.    #5  
    thanks john for the info. after some research it looks like this isnt a simple fast job. I might give it a try when i get some free time but as of now i have no idea when that would be. I was really hoping for a simple file to flash or similar plus i dont feel like installing a linux vm lol.

Maybe later ill give it a go but with the way my job is ill probably get the pre 3 before i have time to get around to this lol
    thanks john for the info. after some research it looks like this isnt a simple fast job. I might give it a try when i get some free time but as of now i have no idea when that would be. I was really hoping for a simple file to flash or similar plus i dont feel like installing a linux vm lol.

Maybe later ill give it a go but with the way my job is ill probably get the pre 3 before i have time to get around to this lol
    Sorry, the Jar files are copyrighted by HP/Palm, they have not released the distribution rights. As it is illegal I can not distribute the Jars the script creates.

But if you happen to bump into me on the street and take my USB drive on my key chain, it has every WebOS Doctor (Verizon) I have created and their official all back to webOS 1.3.5.

FYI It seems complex, but the process is not hard, takes a while, but I believe it is worth it.
  7.    #7  
    LOL!

So if i happen to mug someone who happens to be carrying a usb thumb with the files on it.

Ya i might give it a try anyway. I get a night off tonight may as well see if I can brick my phone real good. Ill posat back later on. Thanks heaps more john. Also I havent downloaded meta-doctor or anything im assuming the super-virus-wireless script is already in it or do i need to download that seperately?
    LOL!

So if i happen to mug someone who happens to be carrying a usb thumb with the files on it.

Ya i might give it a try anyway. I get a night off tonight may as well see if I can brick my phone real good. Ill posat back later on. Thanks heaps more john. Also I havent downloaded meta-doctor or anything im assuming the super-virus-wireless script is already in it or do i need to download that seperately?
    Yep the scripts for Verizon Pre2 are all part of the meta doctor application, and if you have issues just post them.
  9.    #9  
    well to save me some time i have a friend on linux who is doing the metadoctor portion for me. im not sure if it will work. he is pretty good tech wise but can barely spell webOS lol. now im looking into webOS Doctor i should probably grab the "official" 2.1 doctor file as well in case i gimp it up

Ill post back more when I have news thanks heaps john

(edit) I forgot to ask. Should i do the disable/erase on the palm profile? Ive read that was only for the 1.* to 2.* jump or should that be done no matter the version?
    Last edited by ami mizuno; 07/29/2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: forgot a question
    well to save me some time i have a friend on linux who is doing the metadoctor portion for me. im not sure if it will work. he is pretty good tech wise but can barely spell webOS lol. now im looking into webOS Doctor i should probably grab the "official" 2.1 doctor file as well in case i gimp it up

Ill post back more when I have news thanks heaps john

(edit) I forgot to ask. Should i do the disable/erase on the palm profile? Ive read that was only for the 1.* to 2.* jump or should that be done no matter the version?
    I on my PrePlus went from webOS 1.4.5 (1.4.5.1 was not released yet) to webOS 2.1.0, to webOS 2.2.4. Never had an issue going up, But going from webOS 2.2.4 to webOS 2.1.0 or webOS 1.4.5.1 yes I had issues. YMMV.

P.S.
    Welcome Home! My first smart phone was the Pixi on Sprint. When I switched carriers I did the android thing, iPhone, but nothing compares to WebOS.
  12.    #12  
    lol ya i was duped into the new great hero from sprint because i was running out of time before loosing my "upgrade". oddly enough it turned into a downgrade and in the couple of years past ive been on numerous androids including evo and epic. never did the i* as i know i hate iOS. I finally decided to buy a pre and ordered the unlocked gsm (was on family mobile) but i was sent a vzw version instead. So yes just to get my pre back i converted the entire family (6 devices total) to verizon and now im paying almost double lol. Yeah it was that important
    Quote Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
    Welcome Home! My first smart phone was the Pixi on Sprint. When I switched carriers I did the android thing, iPhone, but nothing compares to WebOS.
    I still have fond memories of that old phone the Palm Pixi +, it was a great phone with an excellent qwerty keyboard that had a nice clicky feel when typing on it. The most damaging part was Palm's dumb decision to place a slower processor, low memory RAM, and very small screen. If Palm had really dedicated themselves on delivering the same horsepower as the Palm Pre, that phone would been a bigger hit with a lot of people who were making their transition from feature phones to the smartphone world. Anyways, I agree there isn't no operating system compares to WebOS in term of ease of use and multitasking, but in software features(compared to the competitors) it quite lacked in a lot of departments.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I still have fond memories of that old phone the Palm Pixi +, it was a great phone with an excellent qwerty keyboard that had a nice clicky feel when typing on it. The most damaging part was Palm's dumb decision to place a slower processor, low memory RAM, and very small screen. If Palm had really dedicated themselves on delivering the same horsepower as the Palm Pre, that phone would been a bigger hit with a lot of people who were making their transition from feature phones to the smartphone world. Anyways, I agree there isn't no operating system compares to WebOS in term of ease of use and multitasking, but in software features(compared to the competitors) it quite lacked in a lot of departments.
    I think it boils down to what you use your phone for. I just want a decent web browser, email, calendar, all synced properly. Music storage, ability to tether, wifi, and some fun puzzle games to pass the time. When I had android and the iphone and had access to all the millions of apps, I never really downloaded anything, and the stuff I did download usually didn't get used often and I would end up deleting it.

I totally agree with you about the Pixi, that was an excellent phone, screen size was small but I knew that when I got it but what I did not like was the slow speed and as time went on I had the usual problems, locking up, TMC errors all the time. Palm needed someone like Steve Jobs to keep quality control a top priority
    it's good to have you back

after all the os updates all around, wp, android, ios and the like, something is keeping me on webos

it's like there's a bond between me and my device i can't explain
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

16.    #16  
    I totally agree. When i got my pre- it was the topmost model in my area but sprint was saying soon there would be newer devices. The supposed "Better" model phones. i.e android this and that. I had no problem with the more limited specs of the pre vs. phones like evo and epic with Ghz processors and x cores because unlike android webos doesnt need a phone that rivals a desktop pc's specs. Once i saw the newer pre's (+,2,3) I thought best of all worlds. webOS, Larger specs, Best thing ever. Would be nice to see a pre4 with a dual core and maybe a 4" or even 3.8". besides that the pre is perfect (perfect anyway) lol.

Little back on track. Once again the youmail/youview thing got me today. got the call at 3:39am and the vm push at 4:49am. I can understand a little time but an hour and 10 minutes? maybe ill reinstall it or something unless someone has some advice.

also for john or anyone who may know. My friend build the jar file for me but it auto launches webos dr? its now asking for the phone lol. Im not sure if i understand the doctor stuff correctly it appears to not be a standalone (i.e offline) app. I downloaded the official vzw 2.1 doctor using my ser # but i dont see a way to just store the file to execute later.
    Last edited by ami mizuno; 07/30/2012 at 03:49 PM.
  17.    #17  
    well i managed to get all the required files and got a doctor file. when i go to doctor it everything starts out ok. i first put it into usb recovery and it didnt work i had to plug it in normal boot up mode and eventually it goes into usb mode itself. trouble is it goes to the 0% battery charging and stays there for about 3 minutes then just says phone disconnected. i made sure phone was at 100% charge and still nothing. Am i missing a step?
    well i managed to get all the required files and got a doctor file. when i go to doctor it everything starts out ok. i first put it into usb recovery and it didnt work i had to plug it in normal boot up mode and eventually it goes into usb mode itself. trouble is it goes to the 0% battery charging and stays there for about 3 minutes then just says phone disconnected. i made sure phone was at 100% charge and still nothing. Am i missing a step?
    Ok, shut phone off...

Plug USB cable into computer...

Hold down volume up, plug USB cable into phone, keep Volume up help until a USB logo shows on phone.

Run JAR file, from a command line: java -jar nameofjar

Replace nameofjar with whatever it is called.

Click next, ok, etc. It should try to install novacom drivers (if you already have then cancel the install), click next, it should find device. It will charge device if battery is dead to at least 30%, then it will flash the new doctor to the device.

If you have issues copy the command line text (all output), to a post so we can help.
  19.    #19  
    lol thanks alot once again john. sorry i couldnt repost i actually got it working but i had to leave for work (actually reactivated etc.. in the car on the way in lol). I had an issue with app cat not running but i did a quick reset apps and data and that did the trick. I can now purchase apps (all i needed was the cash lol).

I still havent redone all my patches but i did do the backup/restore save app stuff with preware so im sure just reinstalling preware and i can get thsoe back up never realized how much the ultimate device menu is actually used until its not there lol.

The problem for me was wrong usb port (I read somewhere to try another one) I was using a usb 3 port on my pc. it shoudlnt matter really since 3 is back compat with 2 but as soon as i swapped it instead of unknown device i got bootie installed balloon (lol bootie). then all went smooth.

John you are a genious mate I cant wait for my next day off sometime in 2013 to actually get to play with the new ver. but 2.2.4 is up and running who needs vzw to do it lol.