Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rockbeast
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    I am on a frankenpre2 on sprint. Meta doctored to 2.2.4.

This AM I got an HP update notice for webos 2.2.4. Do I ignore that? Or run the update?
    sounds like the normal random update notification bug
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    Since nobody responded I was going to delete the thread, but I thought I would leave it up in case anybody like me comes across this issue and doesn't know what to do.

I did allow the update to go through. My phone appears to be working. It looks like it added Mobile Hotspot and Sim Toolkit as apps.

And...my voice dialer now works.

However, I still need to reinstall preware to get back other sprint specific apps and other goodies that never made the transition to the frankenpre. But I needed to do that prior this update anyway.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    so should I not have done it?
    In the past, it has never done anything bad... I don't know the specifics on frankpre2s, but all other instances I have never heard of it hurting a device and seems to have been fine for you.

And don't be so quick to think you aren't gonna get a response... you posted before my alarm went off this morning. (west coast US) Don't forget we have users all around the globe, some times it takes folks a minute to catch up on the forums.

This bug has happened a lot on the original webOS software. I don't think I have ever seen it, but many have, you should be fine.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    "Normal Random"?

Hey...that's one of them thar 'paradoxes', ain't it?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

7.    #7  
    In the past, it has never done anything bad... I don't know the specifics on frankpre2s, but all other instances I have never heard of it hurting a device and seems to have been fine for you.

And don't be so quick to think you aren't gonna get a response... you posted before my alarm went off this morning. (west coast US) Don't forget we have users all around the globe, some times it takes folks a minute to catch up on the forums.

This bug has happened a lot on the original webOS software. I don't think I have ever seen it, but many have, you should be fine.
    I wasn't upset with anyone here (sorry if that is how it came across). This is volunteer place - I dont' expect people to be at my beck and call. I accidently hit the "go" button rather than the "later" button, so it updated without my intending to do so. Then I saw 50 views, but no responses, so I thought about deleting because it might too much of a novice question. However, I thought I would update in case any un-skilled fellow pre-ers out there run into the same thing (so they know they haven't blown up the phone if they do let the OTA go).
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmills3 View Post
    I wasn't upset with anyone here (sorry if that is how it came across). I accidently hit the "go" button rather than the "later" button, so it updatingwithout my intending to do so. Then I saw 50 views, but no responses, so I thought about deleting because it might be such a novice question. However, I thought I would update in case any un-skilled fellow pre-ers out there run into the same thing (so they know they haven't blown up the phone if they do let the OTA go).
    No worries didn't take it that way at all.... just still early here on the west coast. Only reason I am on as early as I am is because my job requires me to be in front of a computer and attached to a phone for a large part of my day.
    Dont want to sound mean, so sorry if i do, but . . . You might have gotten an answer quicker with a search of the forums. There are a number of similar threads.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Dont want to sound mean, so sorry if i do, but . . . You might have gotten an answer quicker with a search of the forums. There are a number of similar threads.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Actually I did, but I couldn't find something exactly on point (to my knowledge). For instance, there is a thread right below this about losing sprint nav and an OTA 2.2.4 update. However, I didn't know if that person started with 2.2.4 already (as I did).

I just thought it was odd that I would get an update notification for 2.2.4 when I was already running that (i have only been on the frankenpre 2 for less than one week).
    I woulda asked too, like I said the majority of these issues (maybe all that ive seen) have been on mostly "stock" setups. FrankenPre is a different beast.
    FWFW, my Pre+ (which I recently abandoned for a Pre2) was at 1.4.5.1, and I got a notice that it was updating me to 1.4.5.1??? go figure.
    My Veer 2.1.2 recently OTA updated to 2.1.2...

And like you, jpmills3, I went ahead and did it anyway... Then wondered as it updated if I was making a tactical error, but - heck with it - that's what the Doctor is for.

My phone suffered no ill effects either.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I wish my Verizon Pre2 would get this update. Its been a while since I've 'doctored' my phone to a newer version and now the directions to update to 2.2.4 seem like gibberish, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    I wish my Verizon Pre2 would get this update. Its been a while since I've 'doctored' my phone to a newer version and now the directions to update to 2.2.4 seem like gibberish, lol
    What directions are you having issues with?

install the meta doctor application use the super script for Verizon Pre2?
    I can do the meta doctor installing via ubuntu, but am not sure what metadoctor script to use (have only seen ones for frankenpre or tests) unless its just ./scripts/meta-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
    I think this might just be HP updating a few packages on their side and the Pre's update service discovering them. They have an entire package repository on their server, with packages that are similar to regular Linux packages, where each IPK supplies only a unit of software instead of an entire OS image.
    my first post, excuse my new-ness, but just wanted you all to know:
    when my Sprint Pre running 1.4.5 originally got that "update" notification (containing the same version number I already had) is when the Google/Bing Maps problem started. I haven't had maps since, never took the time to fix it since I knew I was going to be getting a Pre2 ... and the FrankenPre process is underway as we speak!...
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    I can do the meta doctor installing via ubuntu, but am not sure what metadoctor script to use (have only seen ones for frankenpre or tests) unless its just ./scripts/meta-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
    For the Pre2, there are two Verizon scripts I created, test-verizon-pre2-2.2.4, this will bring the WR/ROW carrier apps but the cdma modem firmware, update service is enabled, super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4, is as close to a Verizon Doctor I can make with updated apps from Verizon Pre3, also includes the old webOS 2.1.0 YouTube App, faster then the new html5 version, Google Mobile Maps, Classic Bits, Skype (not needed to be downgraded), update service disabled due to a WR/ROW firmware it would wipe the Verizon Apps and turn the device into what the test script does.
    ulmens likes this.