1.    #1  
    I feel like a colossal ***** and am really worried I've completely thrown away all my data!

I had a Pre- without a data plan and I really thought it was backing up via WIFI but I guess it wasn't because I just got a Pre2 and had it activated and signed onto my webOS account and it transferred a handful of apps and that's it. So I called the carrier back and had the service switched back to my Pre- so I could transfer/upload my contacts and they're ALMOST all gone. There's a weird smattering of contacts left but 80% are gone. Same goes for a couple of crucial apps I had that were storing tons of personal data like my kids health card numbers and my credit cards etc.. Cryptonotes seems to be gone, is its data file still here somewhere? If I reload it can I restore that data file? Half of my memopad items are gone.

This is a nightmare. I don't mean to be dramatic but my Pre- contained my life's data and without it I'm colossally screwed.

Any ideas? any files on the device I should be looking at? Am I completely SOL?

Thanks for looking at this. It's the user community that made me the fan of Palm products in the first place, now I look to you for some shred of good news...
    Last edited by ctrlU; 07/24/2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlU View Post
    I feel like a colossal ***** and am really worried I've completely thrown away all my data!

I had a Pre- without a data plan and I really thought it was backing up via WIFI but I guess it wasn't because I just got a Pre2 and had it activated and signed onto my webOS account and it transferred a handful of apps and that's it. So I called the carrier back and had the service switched back to my Pre- so I could transfer/upload my contacts and they're ALMOST all gone. There's a weird smattering of contacts left but 80% are gone. Same goes for a couple of crucial apps I had that were storing tons of personal data like my kids health card numbers and my credit cards etc.. Cryptonotes seems to be gone, is its data file still here somewhere? If I reload it can I restore that data file? Half of my memopad items are gone.

This is a nightmare. I don't mean to be dramatic but my Pre- contained my life's data and without it I'm colossally screwed.

Any ideas? any files on the device I should be looking at? Am I completely SOL?

Thanks for looking at this. It's the user community that made me the fan of Palm products in the first place, now I look to you for some shred of good news...
    Depends on if your backups were working, but impostah can restore previous backups.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Depends on if your backups were working, but impostah can restore previous backups.
    ok, well it dumped all my preware stuff too so I guess i first need to get all the webosinternals stuff reinstalled and then try impostah, right?
    if you haven't backed up contacts by yourself (search for celebrite) or Palm Profile Backup (check this regulary) and already switched (so PalmDatabase.db3 file is overwritten) and haven't made backups of your apps data in the apps (exports/csv/google...) or via homebrew save&restore app and haven't made a Backup of your whole USB drive and e.g. /media/internal/.app-storage (for app databases) or haven't stored contacts in Clou Service like google... I think you have not many options.
  5.    #5  
    Ok, I still have USB access to the Pre and I cannot find any of the above mentioned files or folders (i.e. PalmDatabase.db3 or /media/internal/.app-storage). There is a smattering of contacts that seem to have survived, maybe 10%, and on the new Pre2 the only data that seems to have made the transfer is my short list of browser favorites.

I think I must resign myself to seeing the contacts get away and I thank you for suggesting where I might looks. I can accept that for some reason the data may have been overwritten.

What I think should still be here somewhere is the DB containing the info from Cryptonotes. The application is gone but if the data is stored in a file/location I can transfer to the Pre2 then I'll re-buy the app and hopefully link it to my existing data. I just don't know where to look so your suggestions are still very welcome.

Thanks so much!
    so first of all you should set your explorer/filemanger on your pc/mac to show all hidden files, then connect your Pre to USB and copy all folders except /.palm which could give you errors at copying.

you should then see a folder named /.appstorage on your USB drive these are the app .db files of the installed apps.

but it could be that all your personal data was wiped when you relogged in your old device with your to 2.x converted profile. Usually it's not good to use a previously converted account back on 1.4.5. Perhaps you should search here an the forum how to emergency backup all data.
  7.    #7  
    My File manager (windows XP) is set to show hidden and system files and was showing me some hidden files on the Pre (eg. the .palm folder) but when I copied all to a folder on the desktop there's nothing new there and still no .appstorage folder evident.

Perhaps its absence also reveals that it's all lost...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if you went to 2.x, you won't be taking anything back to 1.4.5.

if you didn't make a copy of all files on your phone via USB to your computer, then files like memos, etc. are gone. Standard Palm backup/restore brings back contacts if you physically "back up now", but not memos. that's why someone made some app for it, to use like the PalmOS used to back up with HOTSYNC.

maybe you've logged into another site, like google, gmail, or facebook, and synched contacts there. look around, hopef you find them.
  9.    #9  
    Unfortunately one of my greatest frustrations with the pre has been its inability to completely sync my contact list with Google. It'd transfer a few select contacts (seemingly randomly chosen) and no matter what I tried I couldn't get the whole book transferred. I've managed to retrieve some calendar entries this way, though.

It appears i am well and truly boned. Thanks to all for your suggestions and quick replies. In the future, if I back up the entire visible directory structure (excluding .palm) will I then have a real backup? I still can't figure out were the Cryptonotes DB is stored and,while I love the app, I don't want to risk populating and losing it all again. Ideas?

Thanks again!
    B
  10.    #10  
    Ok, a few interesting observations are leading me to believe that something else might be at play here. I don't think it makes me any less borked but perhaps I can see part of the cause of these troubles.

One thing I don't think I mentioned earlier is that I don't have a data plan with my carrier -this is because my world is pretty WIFI saturated. Still, because there are things you can't do over WIFI, like set up the phone and "handshake" with the cloud, when I switched service to the new phone I had them pry open the data floodgates a crack so I could get everything set up (this also led to much hilarity when I received an automated phone call yesterday saying I had exceeded $500 data usage and was being cut off - I've since resolved that one!).

What I've noticed since then is that a) the Maps app is constantly showing that it couldn't update and it's grayed out; b) the HP App Catalog wouldn't connect and was reporting a "Try again later" error, which I attributed to a problem on HP's end; and c) none of my paid apps seem to have made it across to the Pre2, which I understand is what the whole darned cloud is for.

Following a suggestion elsewhere on this forum I uninstalled the App Catalog intending to re-install the one found in PreWare but that one seemed to fail to install and now I can't find it in my list of installed apps, on a launcher page, OR in PreWare :-)

So my theory from all of this is that my phone is not (or was not) properly signed in under my webOS user profile. Now my two questions are:
    1. How do I check this?
    2. Can I make this happen over WIFI or do I have to risk the bumbling of the carrier to let me sip data from their firehose?
    3. If my suspicions are correct and I'm able to get properly signed in, will I then lose all the data entry I've done since giving up on this yesterday?

Once again I look to you knowledgeable folks. The only Pre owners I have ever known are the ones who sold me their phones.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
    B
  11.    #11  
    UPDATE:

1. Turns out Google was doing a better job of mirroring my contacts than I thought, looks like most of them are there and have been sync'd to the Pre2!

2. Aha! Checking preferences from the Launcher menu I see that the HP WebOS Account field is blank! Is there any way to get logged into the HP WebOS Account without a data plan? Is there a setting I can change that will force the phone to use a WIFI data source instead of 3G?

Dare I be optimistic?

PS. I was able to find my way to the files and folder locations on the Pre- described in previous posts by using the Linux Command Line option in WOSQI... interesting but I think it's too late now for that stuff
    Last edited by ctrlU; 07/27/2012 at 11:00 AM.
    UPDATE:

1. Turns out Google was doing a better job of mirroring my contacts than I thought, looks like most of them are there and have been sync'd to the Pre2!

2. Aha! Checking preferences from the Launcher menu I see that the HP WebOS Account field is blank! Is there any way to get logged into the HP WebOS Account without a data plan? Is there a setting I can change that will force the phone to use a WIFI data source instead of 3G?

Dare I be optimistic?

PS. I was able to find my way to the files and folder locations on the Pre- described in previous posts by using the Linux Command Line option in WOSQI... interesting but I think it's too late now for that stuff
    There are many threads and post which cover how to bypass activation, use WiFi as first use app, with impostah's help from preware or WOSQI.
  13.    #13  
    Ok, I've been looking for a thread as mentioned above but haven't had any success yet. HP's website says:

"On a smartphone, you must connect to your wireless service provider’s network. You cannot use a Wi-Fi connection to restore an HP webOS Account."

I don't believe it for a second. I found one promising thread HERE but quickly figured out it didn't apply to the Pre2. So I'm still searching and will post the link I find to the answer when I find it. Search terms are tricky for this one...
    Ok, I've been looking for a thread as mentioned above but haven't had any success yet. HP's website says:

"On a smartphone, you must connect to your wireless service providerís network. You cannot use a Wi-Fi connection to restore an HP webOS Account."

I don't believe it for a second. I found one promising thread HERE but quickly figured out it didn't apply to the Pre2. So I'm still searching and will post the link I find to the answer when I find it. Search terms are tricky for this one...
    bypass activation patch (part of meta doctor application one can get it from github).

Assumed a full erase, use emergency dial remove 911 put ##devmode# (cdma) #*devmode# (gsm), turn on dev mode, reboot

Invoke WiFi, get impostah from WOSQI, remove profile account from the accounts tab, reset profile from profile tab, let it reboot.

Phone should say it is activated (bypass activation patch), first use app should come up WiFi should be lit, log in bring down profile.

This also can be done without full erase but the auto install of apps does not happen..
  15.    #15  
    Well just as the above message arrived I was typing that Impostah had let me sign into my HP WebOS account and I have been able to update Maps and pReader. So as far as I can tell I'm really signed into my account.

Once that was done I was able to register in App Tuckerbox (it was giving me an error before).

Next problem solved: I was able to re-install App Catalog (thanks perhaps to the greater number of apps in preware after the above success).

Now to get the paid apps restored... researching...
  16.    #16  
    ...and the paid app I need most isn't supported by Pre 2.

Well I think that concludes the whole issue and I suppose it closes out the thread. Thanks again to all who had constructive advice and I hope something here will be of archival use to future bumblers who mess things up as I have.

All the best,
    Boris