Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have an unlocked Pre 2 that is working great with Straight Talk pre-paid service which uses At&t network. Internet and MMS all work since I have put in the correct settings. The only issue is the mobile hotspot app. I turn it on and it is detected by my other devices but no data comes through. I have gone into the advance settings to tinker with the DHCP setup but no luck. I don't have prewar installed, didn't think it necessary since mobile hotspot came with the phone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    It's probably not ever going to work as there is no "Official" hotspot support through ST...

I would strongly urge you to get Preware and then install freeTether to enable tethering without getting tagged as a data bandit (It masks the IP of your tethered device to match the phone) and Net Stat to track data use.

If you use freeTether right out of the box you can run your phone as a WiFi hotspot or connect one on one via Bluetooth. It takes a bit of doing to enable USB tethering.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response, that is what I figured. I was hoping not to go this route. Coming from Android, I rooted my phone and things were fine for a little while but then they got buggy and I don't want the same experience on my Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
    Thanks for the response, that is what I figured. I was hoping not to go this route. Coming from Android, I rooted my phone and things were fine for a little while but then they got buggy and I don't want the same experience on my Palm Pre.
    I think you'll be pleased with how easy it is to install Preware and maintain your device... You don't have to replace the Linux Kernel to get Preware, even though alternate Kernels are available after you install Preware.

If any patch or app makes the device buggy, just uninstall. It happened to me a couple times and I easily reverted to a stable state.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    hotlynx69 likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Whew! That was easier than I thought it would be. I ran into some hiccups on my Mac it would not download the novacom drivers kept getting error message, but something told me to use my laptop which has an older version of OS X and it worked like a charm. I was prepared for a complicated process just like when I rooted my Android phone. But this was so easy. I've installed Freetether, Dr Battery, and Navit. Hope my device remains stable.
    kataran and RumoredNow like this.
    Dr. Battery is definitely a must have.

Check out the patches available as well. So many of them smooth things out and boost usability.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    i think i've found it easiest to download webos quick installer to my laptop, use that to install preware, then use preware to install everything else.

i've also made sure to first get the devmode toggle, and i confirm devmode on before every preware download and reboot after every install, then devmode off and final reboot. seems patches work better this way. but i could be being redundant or overzealous.

can anyone confirm/cancel this as necessary with preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    i think i've found it easiest to download webos quick installer to my laptop, use that to install preware, then use preware to install everything else.

i've also made sure to first get the devmode toggle, and i confirm devmode on before every preware download and reboot after every install, then devmode off and final reboot. seems patches work better this way. but i could be being redundant or overzealous.

can anyone confirm/cancel this as necessary with preware?
    I do not believe developer mode is necessary for preware. I think you only need it for connecting to a computer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepalmpre127 View Post
    i do not believe developer mode is necessary for preware. I think you only need it for connecting to a computer.

-- sent from my palm pre 2 using forums
    wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    wrong
    Enabling DevMode, does a few things depending on when it is enabled.

If the phone has no profile/has not been activated then a ByPass First Use profile gets created and a few flag files get created, this last part is important.

One of the flag files novacom_enabled under var gadget is what allows one to novaterm/novacom to the device.

This is needed to use QuickWebOSInstall.

But once Preware is installed, I have disabled DevMode, and was still able to install applications from Preware.

But novaterm/novacom/wosqi all fail as the gadget (USB novacomd daemon) is not started.

FYI the new DevMode App in webOS 2.2.4/3.0.x allows one to password protect their device. Which works well for the average user. But if one knows the Boot process one can easily bypass the password.
  11.    #11  
    I wasn't sure about whether or not I should keep Dev mode on after I installed preware. I hear that keeping it on could cause the famous too many cards open when you have nothing open at all, I went through that 3 years ago with my Pixi which is why I dumped it, along with freezes and slow processing. So far the Pre 2 has been great, I did have the "too many cards" issue once and the phone had nothing running was idle for hours, I picked it up to use it and I got that dreaded message. I restarted, did some checking online and read that I should disable dev mode to prevent it from happening, and this was before I had preware installed.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Dr. Battery is definitely a must have.

Check out the patches available as well. So many of them smooth things out and boost usability.
    Any suggestions for patches?
    There are a ton of good patches out there. My Pre 2 has the following patches:

AM-PM Indicator in Top Bar
    Battery Percent and Icon
    Brightness in Device Menu (a definite need)
    Browser Scrollbar (a must have in my opinion)
    Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
    Flashlight in Device Menu
    Google Calendar Login Fix
    GPS Icon On Top Bar
    GPS in Device Menu
    Mojo FPS Booster
    Mojo Speedy Switch
    Mojo Tap Responsiveness
    Muffle System Logging (a MUST have patch)
    Quiet powered Messages
    UberCalendar Mini (adds some nice touches to the Calendar)
    Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
    Unthrottle Download Manager (you want this one)
    WhitePages Cal Log Phone Lookup (a good patch to have if you get the White Pages app)

There are many more. There are also some combination patches like the Sconix ones that combine a lot of the ones I have into one patch, but I've had some weird issues in the past with the combo patches, so I keep it to the individual ones. The Mojo patches are supposed to smooth out the UI here and there. Your mileage will vary.
    Any suggestions for patches?
    Patches installed on my Pre 2 (and with a couple omissions like Flashlight which don't apply) for Veer as well...

Patch:

Ad Blocker
    Advanced Reset Options (Gotta Have)
    Battery Percent and Horizontal Icon
    Brightness in Device Menu (Saves your battery)
    Buttah
    Capture with Volume Keys
    Date and Lower Case AM-PM Indicator
    Device Temperature Warnings
    Disable Lightbar
    Disk Cache Mod
    Fahrenheit Temperature with Battery in Device Info
    Flashlight in Device Menu
    GPS Icon on Top Bar
    GPS in Device Menu (Saves your battery)
    Hold Tap Context Menu - Email
    Hold Tap Context Menu - Web
    Straight Talk Carrier String (New!!! Thanks, AwesomePalmPre127)
    Just Type Scrim Fix
    Mojo Smooth Scrolling
    Mojo Speedy Switch
    Mojo Tap Responsiveness
    MP4 Video Downloader
    No Airplane Mode
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    Ringer Switch Icon
    System Control Optimization
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon (Gotta Have)
    Unhide Time Details
    Unthrottle Download Manager

Also if you want to help control your CPU - UberKernel. I run the ondemandtcl 1200 profile which overclocks to 1.2 GHz. In settings change TCP congestion to Westwood. In the profile settings toggle Up Threshold to 75%, set Powersave Bias to 10, and Screenstate Enable to True.... Good balance of power when needed and battery savings when not.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  15.    #15  
    Thanks guys, these are some good suggestions I will look into. I did already install a few of them such as flashlight and uberkernal which I still don't quite understand. I selected a profile through the Govnah app and didn't see any options to do anything else for further tweaking, which for me is a good thing because to many choices and options confuse me. It does show overclock at 1.2 which is good. The phone seems more speedy.

I wasn't sure about the System Control Optimization patch, didn't know if that was overkill since I installed the Uberkernal, don't they both do the same thing in a sense?
    [webOS patch] System Control Optimization patch

In Govnah...

tap Profile> this is where you changed to an overclocking profile. (I assume you picked ondemandtcl 1200)

tap Advanced Settings > This is where you change the TCP Congestion. I tried them all against a speed test and Westwood gave me consistently the best performance....

On that same page tap CPU Frequency and that will open up the CPU settings page...

Look for the ? icon on the upper right. If you tap that, then any category you tap on calls up a help page describing what those settings do. Tap the ? again to exit help mode and get into the category settings. This is where I selected Up Threshold 75% (so my CPU doesn't overclock until it is 75% loaded), Powersave Bias 10 (to edge toward conserving battery) and Screenstate Enable True (to keep the CPU throttled down when the screen is off).

Reading the help files will really allow you to understand what UberKernel can do for you.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for this. I made my own profile using your settings as a guideline. I saw there was an option to enable compressed memory. I didn't enable it, should I?
    Thanks for this. I made my own profile using your settings as a guideline. I saw there was an option to enable compressed memory. I didn't enable it, should I?
    I haven't... There are reports it causes lag and the help file itself warns of this.

Your Govnah settings will persist after a Luna Reset, but after a full reboot only your saved CPU Profile will persist and you will need to manually set your TCP Congestion again. I don't know if there is a way to make that setting retain itself after reboot.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I haven't... There are reports it causes lag and the help file itself warns of this.

Your Govnah settings will persist after a Luna Reset, but after a full reboot only your saved CPU Profile will persist and you will need to manually set your TCP Congestion again. I don't know if there is a way to make that setting retain itself after reboot.
    Hey just curious where did you find the Straight Talk Carrier String, I looked everywhere in preware and can't locate it, even typed in Straight Talk.
    Hey just curious where did you find the Straight Talk Carrier String, I looked everywhere in preware and can't locate it, even typed in Straight Talk.
    I uploaded it to preware but I guess it hasn't been approved yet. If you don't want to wait you can get it from the patches section on the forum.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast