Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By C-Note
  • 3 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By hotlynx69
  1.    #1  
    With the recent sales for the Pre 2 on Daily Steals and Amazon... and the removal of the Pre 2 as an stock unit in the last of the mobile carriers, this may be the last "Mass Migration" of webOS users for the foreseeable future... maybe ever.

I too made the switch an have dealt with the inevitable growing pains that come with such a change. I have seen that others have too, so I am collecting the threads that pertain and adding them here. They are either related to the hardware or the new version of webOS ( 2.x from 1.4.x.)

If you have any insight from issues not yet discussed (good, bad, or ugly) please share them with everyone here.

If you have a question as a Pre 2 immigrant from another webOS platform (Pixi, Pre, Pre plus) post those here too.

Please throw either you own problem or solutions, or questions into the pot.

For example:
    What ever happened to the edit capable version of QuickOffice for webOS 2.x?
    Last edited by C-Note; 07/24/2012 at 03:08 PM.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    C-Note, kataran and ClickGamer like this.
    Funny stuff, RumoredNow! Maybe Morgan Freeman can narrate?
    This is a good idea for a thread. I have a Pre 2 ready to go online, but I want to get a few more months out of the Pre +. I'll be reading closely.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    This is a good idea for a thread. I have a Pre 2 ready to go online, but I want to get a few more months out of the Pre +. I'll be reading closely.
    There are definitely some things to be aware of, from apps no longer available, to new ways do familiar things, to programs that don't play well with webOS 2.x

I'll add as many links and answers as are available.

C
    I wonder what will happen when Webos becomes open. Will we get OTA updates or we will have to manually upgrade our os.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
    I wonder what will happen when Webos becomes open. Will we get OTA updates or we will have to manually upgrade our os.
    It will be manual unless some OEM makes OSwebOS devices and brands them for a carrier... and that carrier decides to do an OTA...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Well I hope it will be an easy process once that happens. If it is going to keep WebOs alive for the small community of us that use it then I will be one of the first to update. Using WebOs almost makes me feel a bit like a rebel, because I'm not falling in line like a sheep using android or iOS. I think WebOS is the epitome of Think Different.
    kataran likes this.
    Well I hope it will be an easy process once that happens. If it is going to keep WebOs alive for the small community of us that use it then I will be one of the first to update. Using WebOs almost makes me feel a bit like a rebel, because I'm not falling in line like a sheep using android or iOS. I think WebOS is the epitome of Think Different.
    Maybe you can keep Webos alive if you can convince hipsters to use it ironically.
  9.    #9  
    More Pre 2 tips for the recently migrated:

Does the Pre 2 use the same battery as Pre Plus?
    i'm trying to stick with my VZN Pre2 on Sprint as long as i can stand it, and not just bypass it and start using the Pre3 i have as backup.

i like the Pre2 size with the better quality build. i want to use it. but i've had to redoctor this thing so many times, it really is like Frankenstein with virtual stitches everywhere.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to a list of what works "best" for the Pre2: which 2.x.x, which kernel settings, which minimum patches for improving performance, which patches work cleanly, etc.

someone knows how to set up a Pre2 so it's in the sweet spot. i'd like to see that DIY how-to in plain english. subscribed.
    I good Tip BEFORE migrating to a new device/webOS-Version is to BACKUP your data.

Else you could end like this:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-p...-new-post.html

A guide what is to backup in german (which should be good readable with google translate) is here to find:
    http://forum.nexave.de/p416303-palm-...tml#post416303

There are also tipps to copy apps without reinstalling them on the new device using metaviews app "mybackup".
    Last edited by gizmo21; 07/25/2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Can some body tell me how to delete built in apps from a VZW Pre2? I don't get a delete option-it just says "done".
    The reason I use webOS isn't "think different": it's more "don't have to think" because it is so easy to use. In my view, one of HP's biggest errors was simply not hammering this point home.
    Can some body tell me how to delete built in apps from a VZW Pre2? I don't get a delete option-it just says "done".
    Deleting AT&T Applications off of Palm Pixi Plus.

Be sure to Thank John Steffes.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I can't read this thread in my own voice now.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I can't read this thread in my own voice now.
    webOS > Linux > Penguins + Migration = It was a natural progression in my mind and I had the gif on my laptop already from a previous use.

Mobile Nations Devotee