Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 2 Post By carldc
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  1.    #1  
    Look at what I did to my Sprintified Pre 2 today

1342668271385_imagejpeg_2_F563.jpg

What should I do now? (Strangely enough, it still works, but I think I'm cutting my finger when I slide it across the glass )

Do I

1) get a new Verizon/AT&T Pre2 and swap out the screens?
    2) get a new Verizon/AT&T Pre2, swap out the modem and rerun the Sprintified Pre2 webOS Doctor?
    3) try to get a Verizon Pre3 and switch to Verizon?
    4) try to get a AT&T Pre3 and switch to AT&T?
    5) switch to an Android/Apple phone? (Heavens, no way! Not an option for me!)

Curious to know what the rest of you think. I love my webOS too much!
    If you get a new Verizon/AT&T Pre2, why not just swap out the comm boards instead of the screen?
    kupfernigk likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    As a temporary workaround you could get a screen protector to put over the screen. That would give you some time to consider your options.
    I'd back up everything and spring for a Pre3. The AT&3s are a bit cheaper and will get you 4g ("faux g"). I got one after my Pre- screen broke and I've never looked back!
    W00sh and akitayo like this.
    3 or 4 looks like the best option, if you can live with it. At the moment you are completely dependent on the old comms board in your Pre 2. If it goes, you've spent money for nothing. With the Pre 3, you have a comms board as new as the phone.
    HelloNNNewman is probably very competent at swapping comms boards and, as a former R&D electronic engineer, I don't expect it would present me with many problems. But personally I do not like swapping small, fragile, expensive electronic assemblies if I can possibly avoid it. (I once managed to crack the case of a mil-spec AMD bit slice processor element, and replace it before anyone noticed...never, ever again It's hard to unsolder ICs when the sweat is pouring down your nose onto the motherboard.)
  5.    #5  
    Changing out the comm board is easy, I followed the instructions and it worked like a charmed. I understand I'd have to run those scripts again, correct.? Sounds like my best option right now. If I went to a Pre3, I'd have to go to AT&T or Verizon and unfortunately my monthly would jump up to $100 a month,but I'll ask for their pricing again. I only pay $67 right now and 3G has been fast enough for me plus only Sprint offers free GPS & unlimited that I know of.

I'm glad Amazon is selling them for $80.

Thanks.
    Get an AT&T branded Pre 3 and put it on Straight Talk for $45 a month...

Unlimited everything including 411 calls and if you don't tether up a storm you'll never have to worry. H+ speeds to boot.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Go for the Pre3. I've got one for AT&T on eBay right now that's absolutely mint, and it's a no-reserve action. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link to the auction. It needs a good home...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Pre 3 on straight talk is your best bet IMHO
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    You mean that's not just a screensaver???

Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    Look at what I did to my Sprintified Pre 2 today

1342668271385_imagejpeg_2_F563.jpg

What should I do now? (Strangely enough, it still works, but I think I'm cutting my finger when I slide it across the glass )

Do I

1) get a new Verizon/AT&T Pre2 and swap out the screens?
    2) get a new Verizon/AT&T Pre2, swap out the modem and rerun the Sprintified Pre2 webOS Doctor?
    3) try to get a Verizon Pre3 and switch to Verizon?
    4) try to get a AT&T Pre3 and switch to AT&T?
    5) switch to an Android/Apple phone? (Heavens, no way! Not an option for me!)

Curious to know what the rest of you think. I love my webOS too much!
    The bottom line is, if you want to keep your webOS phone on Sprint, then option #2 is your correct choice. Otherwise, option #3 or #4 would be then next alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Get an AT&T branded Pre 3 and put it on Straight Talk for $45 a month...

Unlimited everything including 411 calls and if you don't tether up a storm you'll never have to worry. H+ speeds to boot.
    This!

GSM Pre3 is cheaper, cheaper plan cost, etc.

We signed a contract about 50 days before leo killed everything. Had we known, I would have waited until then and be on straight talk right now (we are both since using phones purchased unsubsidized). We will most likely be going to ST once our contracts up.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Pre 3 on Straight Talk! Uses AT&T network anyway!