Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I bought a like new Palm Pre 2 GSM unlocked on Ebay and it's coming with a carrier locked AT&T Palm pre plus, two touch stones and two A/C adapters, and I payed about 150 for the bundle. My Galaxy nexus's power button has like a little water damage, so I decided to give WebOS another shot, this time with the Pre 2.

So, is the Pre 2 still a good device to this day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Konner920 View Post
    I bought a like new Palm Pre 2 GSM unlocked on Ebay and it's coming with a carrier locked AT&T Palm pre plus, two touch stones and two A/C adapters, and I payed about 150 for the bundle. My Galaxy nexus's power button has like a little water damage, so I decided to give WebOS another shot, this time with the Pre 2.

Yes
    still love mine! Way better than the original Pre too. Enjoy it!
    Still worth it. Warts and all I still enjoy using it and have found all the core apps I need to keep me happy for now.
    it really depends on your point-of-view. To some, webOS is the worst thing since slowness was invented (exaggeration), but of you give it a chance, you probably will like it.

The specs are still decent (don't expect to calculate Pi any faster than on an iPhone 4s), screen resolution is a bit low these days. But it'll work, get the job done.

I like mine though

It's probably worth it, unless you paid over $9000 for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    ...The specs are still decent (don't expect to calculate Pi any faster than on an iPhone 4s), screen resolution is a bit low these days. But it'll work, get the job done...
    I like Pi...in fact, I like to savor it slowly, a la mode even...so...

I just got mine this week (Tuesday) and I am liking it very much. It is replacing my 2.5 year old Pre+ on Verizon. All the talk about how this is the device the Pre should have been is right. If they (Palm) had waited to come out with this device, perhaps the Pre program would have started off better (less build quality and stuttering performance problems) and would still be going strong. I love how the keyboard just works. I've had difficulties with my Pre+ keyboard from the beginning, and it had been getting worse lately (2.5 years of use does wear things out). It seems faster to me, and that was before I installed Govnah and Uberkernal(Pre2) last night. I'm encouraged that I will be able to last a while on webOS, long enough to see if open source project will have some early positive effect. Who knows, when this phone is wearing out, maybe there will be a way to have webOS on a newer better device!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

xandros9 likes this.

The Palm Pre 2 still comes with a great choice for your phone replacement, yet if you're not planning to place too much expectations on the device. If you only importance of a phone is to make and send text messages, your Palm Pre 2 will be your best friends as Webos phone. However, if you expect to use a lot of apps, you will be utterly disappointed with the Palm Pre 2 phone because its like tech-reviewer said its not much of a smartphone its instead be called feature-phone that behaves like a smartphone with a decent web browser. Other than that, the Palm Pre 2 is a great device the new design which makes less prone to breaks with a sturdier built-quality with matt-black finish on the back and around the edges makes it a nice thing to hold.

Just wished Palm would launch this device, instead of that silly upgrade of the Palm Pre Plus. The company could still be alive and kicking instead of going into the point of bankruptcy and let them be bought by HP a company so inconvenient and stupid that ultimately created this big disaster.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Wife still seems to be more than happy with her Pre2, and I still have mine while using my Pre3 every day. Love em.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I love my Pre 2 as well.... Get the Mugen 1400 battery, so worthwhile - especially if you use talk a lot or are a power web surfer.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

By far of all the Pre's the 2 is the most solid. Great form factor with a smooth trouble free slide and a stable OS. And you get all the benefits of Preware and the Patch Community.

I've got 2 - Pre 2's in my desk drawer as backup's to my Pre3's and frankly, I'll be happy using webOS for years to come.

Have fun.
    I just finished my FrankePre2 last night and was showing it to a co-worker who recently swapped from a HTC One X to the Galaxy S3. He commented that the Pre2 UI was fairly snappy for an 18-month old phone and was stunned to find out it only had a single-core CPU.

That's not to say the Pre2 is really in the same class as the latest & greatest OneX or the GS3 but it is a very solid smartphone with essentially the same guts as the iPhone 4.
    Use my Pre2 as primary device for a year now as the european Pre3s are crippled memory wise (8GB/500MB only).

After this year i can say the Pre2 seems to be much better build than my previously used Pre- and with Prewares Uberkernel, Ubercalendar and all the patches you get a pretty good GTD machine which can be much faster than other phones for everyday tasks when using keyboard, justtype & quick actions.

e.g. homebrew google maps by 72ka is a good way to add adresses or phonenumbers for shops/firms to your contacts for later calling or navigating to them. just type the business name on your home screen launch&search google maps, click on marker info and select save as contact.

And a very good way to sync contacts,calendar,tasks is to use the EAS synergy sync (faster and more stable than google synergy) together witha open source exchange alternative like zarafa or tine on your own server/nas.
    Think its good now? Wait until Open WebOS rolls out in September!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    This is all good to hear. I had Veer at one point and I absolutely hated it. It was plagued with bugs and the camera was worse than a cheap feature phone. I was hoping to hear the Pre 2 was amazing, and I did get to hear that. I've seen camera samples of it and it's much better than the Veer by a long shot.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I wish I had not gotten this phone. I wish there wasn't such a great deal from the Daily Steals sight. Because now...........I love webOS even more. AAArrrrggghh. I really hope Open webOS just kills it, knocks it outta the park. I then hope all the haters and nay-sayers will be fed a big plate of shut the freak up.

I like tweaking everything I own. Nothing I own stays stock for long. So I love Webosinternals, all the devs and the cool ehancements they come up with. Many thanks to all who have stuck it out and only ever asked that we hit the donate button a couple of times.

Thanks again. WebOS is the bomb-diggity!
    Last edited by jkromero; 07/14/2012 at 10:09 AM.
    well to be honest camera is one the worst things of a Pre2. Compared to Pre3 it has still no autofocus and no frontcam is avail for skypephoning. But for outdoor holiday snapshots to send to the loved ones it's good enough.
    Don't expect to be able to take focused photos of papersheets, barcodes or other macroshots.
    It's great, but you should install the virtual keyboard patch when you get it, and then the optimization patch. It really helps for typing short things where it's a pain to slide down the slider for two words etc.

But you'll have a great time with it, it knocks most other phones out of the park.
    Touchpad 16GB 3.0.5
    Pre 2 2.2.4
    There used to be a joke that if the HP Marketing Department was asked to come up with a catchy slogan to sell sushimi, they would produce "We sell slices of raw fish", and a 20 page white paper explaining why you should trust HP as your raw fish slice solution partner.
    The relevance of this is the marketing of the Pre 2 and the Pre 3, which was hopeless.

Relevance of this? The Pre 2 is good sushimi. In my insufficiently humble opinion, it is still a better communications device than many more recent phones. It just suffered from a marketing department (and uncomprehending c-level execs) that has never seemed to understand end-user products.
    DS_Palm_Lvr and howemi01 like this.
    For the record, the Palm Pre 2 was launched on Verizon in Feb 2011. This was a year after the iPhone 4 was released.
    I'm a proud owner of a pre 2 unlocked, 75 bucks in almost mint condition off craigslist. really a shame how they hold no value but webos is the best of all operating systems as far as interface and being unique for sure. but listen can somebody tell me, I had the sprint pre before and installed preware in 10 min, now on my pre 2 I can't get it and I'm sorry to say my pre 1 with preware is better then pre 2 without. I have webos installer and at launch I get navocom instalation failed. iv been on google all day and can't figure it out. can anybody help or at least point me in the right direction, thanks.... windows xp, palm pre 2 webos2.2.4

btw happy to see so many supporters of web os and umm what happened to pre central haha crazy
    Last edited by lexspalmpre; 07/14/2012 at 04:47 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast