Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes
    OK - I did it, decided to take a chance on the Pre 2. Hopefully this will not be last webOS rodeo but let's see what develops.

In the meanwhile, any suggestions on the best :
    1) Podcast software. Was using Dr. Podder is it still the good on a webOS 2 device?
    2) Ringtone capture program, (was using the great James Harris program)
    3) Flashlight
    4) Essential utilities (I miss the Quick Launcher program)

Thanks All,

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    OK - I did it, decided to take a chance on the Pre 2. Hopefully this will not be last webOS rodeo but let's see what develops.

In the meanwhile, any suggestions on the best :
    1) Podcast software. Was using Dr. Podder is it still the good on a webOS 2 device?
    2) Ringtone capture program, (was using the great James Harris program)
    3) Flashlight
    4) Essential utilities (I miss the Quick Launcher program)

Thanks All,

C
    I have been using Dr. Podder, so far so good. I I tried Android Flashlight, but it doesn't seem to work and almost made my Pre2 unresponsive. So I'm searching for something else...just doing my searching during the daytime for now. I saw some patches that add flashlight function to device menu...might try those. There are several in HP App store, some are free.

that's all I have to offer @ the moment...but I'm @ the pool, so...later!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I have been using Dr. Podder, so far so good. I I tried Android Flashlight, but it doesn't seem to work and almost made my Pre2 unresponsive. So I'm searching for something else...just doing my searching during the daytime for now. I saw some patches that add flashlight function to device menu...might try those. There are several in HP App store, some are free.

Thanks guy. I'm hoping I this will hold me over AND that Open webOS will amount to something when this phone finally dies.

Hoping some of the others chime in with their faves.

C
    jason's device menu megamix patch is still the best way launch a flashlight, hands down.

posted from my pre 2. Definitely go with uberkernel and the screenstate3/1200 govnah profile for battery life. Still imo the best 'small phone' smartphone I can think of.

Pod Frenzy is a good more recently updated version of Dr Podder (also has Pre3 and TP screen sizes programmed)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    jason's device menu megamix patch is still the best way launch a flashlight, hands down.

posted from my pre 2. Definitely go with uberkernel and the screenstate3/1200 govnah profile for battery life. Still imo the best 'small phone' smartphone I can think of.
    Personally I run scnoix advanced top bar/menu/etc patches. Allows for launching of flashlight and many other customizations. Once you get it all setup it is the best patch(es) for handling everything it does.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Pod Frenzy is a good more recently updated version of Dr Podder (also has Pre3 and TP screen sizes programmed)
    Anything improved other than Pre 3 and TP scaling?
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Anything improved other than Pre 3 and TP scaling?
    Honestly can't remember, it's been so long since I used Dr. Podder
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    After a few weeks or so of having this phone, I miss my galaxy nexus. The pre 2 is so slow and the keyboard is uncomfortable. I'll keep it around incase open webos actually improves this phone, other than that. it looks like my webos days are over. :/
    I'd be interested to know what you think. I used it in the summer of 2010. I didn't like it that much. Oh it was alright most of the time, and I typically got a good GPS lock...but not always! And the purple turn arrow wouldn't always come up showing which way to turn...made it a bit of a guessing game which is a little unnerving in downtown Chicago...not to mention Buffalo, Wyoming!
    I've been using VZ Navigator on my new Pre2 from Ebay, and so far so good. It's responsive and accurate, although initially it took a few tries to get it running. After that it runs fine, although I' haven't tested it in Buffalo Wyoming (LOL),

Since I have the "official" version, I didn't load any GPS patches.

Most importantly GolfPinFinder is back on the job after a one year vacation, accurate to about 3 yards. So paying the sale price for the VZ Nav is certainly worth it to me for both applications.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi,

I have used the Pixi Plus for awhile. I'd used Androids and the new windows phone as well. Yes, I think WebOS has more user friendly and cute GUI.

one question. For Palm Pre 2 and Pre 3 for VZ, does it still have the free Hotspot ? like the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus? I know it was reported by a lot of members here that the MHS not free for Pre 2. I wonder if there is any changes recently to make it free like Pixi plus and Pre plus

If it doesn't, I don't think it worth as much as the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus IHMO.

I haven't seen the "real thing" of Pre 3 . And I don't know where I can get a Pre 3 at a more "reasonable" price.

THanks
    Last edited by mahou008; 07/31/2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahou008 View Post
    Hi,

I have used the Pixi Plus for awhile. I'd used Androids and the new windows phone as well. Yes, I think WebOS has more user friendly and cute GUI.

one question. For Palm Pre 2 and Pre 3 for VZ, does it still have the free Hotspot ? like the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus? I know it was reported by a lot of members here that the MHS not free for Pre 2. I wonder if there is any changes recently to make it free like Pixi plus and Pre plus

If it doesn't, I don't think it worth as much as the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus IHMO.

I haven't seen the "real thing" of Pre 3 . And I don't know where I can get a Pre 3 at a more "reasonable" price.

THanks
    No the 5G free hotspot is for PixiPlus or PrePlus, I saw a post of someone who used a Pre2 GSM and swapped their PrePlus Comm board (FrankenPre2), and they reported to Verizon as a PrePlus, but to HP/Palm as a Pre2.

I assume one could do the same with a Verizon Pre2/PrePlus but have never seen a post on it.

I am still on my PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4, love my 5G hotspot, although I also have heard of FreeTether from Preware, but never have used it, if one had unlimited data, then the free 5G hotspot would not matter.

But I have heard others having issues with FreeTether and HP/Palm Mobile HotSpot app just works.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    No the 5G free hotspot is for PixiPlus or PrePlus, I saw a post of someone who used a Pre2 GSM and swapped their PrePlus Comm board (FrankenPre2), and they reported to Verizon as a PrePlus, but to HP/Palm as a Pre2.

I assume one could do the same with a Verizon Pre2/PrePlus but have never seen a post on it.

I am still on my PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4, love my 5G hotspot, although I also have heard of FreeTether from Preware, but never have used it, if one had unlimited data, then the free 5G hotspot would not matter.

But I have heard others having issues with FreeTether and HP/Palm Mobile HotSpot app just works.
    Thanks for your kind reply. May I know how you update the PrePlus to WebOS 2.2.4 ?

Or only GSM version can do it, not Verizon's CDMA version?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mahou008 View Post
    Thanks for your kind reply. May I know how you update the PrePlus to WebOS 2.2.4 ?

Or only GSM version can do it, not Verizon's CDMA version?

Thanks
    I created a script to merge the preplus kernel and the Pre2 source...

WebOS 2.2.4 on Palm Pre+ or Pre...

Recommend using a special preplus kernel, not the stock preplus kernel, read the readme.txt in the others.zip. This made some stable, YMMV, I had to mash my own kernel together from the Pre2/Preplus Opensource parts, still did not get 100% stable for my PrePlus.
    Is the Pre 2 worth it?

In a word - NO.

Not when novacom drivers can't be found, resulting in no way to use Quick Install to put anything on it. Misleading information spread throughout the webos community, and a virtual keyboard that is harder to find than the holy grail.

I have housebricks with more use than this piece of crap. Severely disappointed with mine. Going to use mine as a doorstop.
    Last edited by NickM99; 08/04/2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
    Is the Pre 2 worth it?

In a word - NO.

Not when novacom drivers can't be found, resulting in no way to use Quick Install to put anything on it. Misleading information spread throughout the webos community, and a virtual keyboard that is harder to find than the holy grail.

I have housebricks with more use than this piece of crap. Severely disappointed with mine. Going to use mine as a doorstop.
    You're doing something wrong then, or have faulty hardware (less likely). I and many others had no issue installing the drivers and using webOSQuickInstall or Preware on our Pre 2's. There are plenty of help threads, so I won't post instructions here.
    I'll take that worthless phone off your hands if you're that burdened by it.
    RumoredNow and hotlynx69 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You're doing something wrong then, or have faulty hardware (less likely). I and many others had no issue installing the drivers and using webOSQuickInstall or Preware on our Pre 2's. There are plenty of help threads, so I won't post instructions here.
    I'll take that worthless phone off your hands if you're that burdened by it.
    True enough... And so many report that using Preware and taking control of your device is much easier than "rooting" under Android. I've found it to be so.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    hotlynx69 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
    Is the Pre 2 worth it?

In a word - NO.

Now I'm sure someone here may have already told you this, but in case they haven't because I was running into the same issue over and over until I realized that the developer mode was not enabled on my device. I thought that it was, swore by it but double check and it was not, after I enabled it and then connected it to my computer everything worked fine. Just a suggestion if you haven't already checked this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    True enough... And so many report that using Preware and taking control of your device is much easier than "rooting" under Android. I've found it to be so.
    I concur, one of the things that kept me away from using Linux a few years ago was the command line, I hate using it and when I attempted to root my android phone and had to use it there were so many instructions of things you had to do on the computer and on the phone itself, not to mention that I use a mac so I had to use another windows machine just to do it. It was so refreshing to find out that WebOS homebrew does not require any of that. No command lines, works on pc and mac. Very easy to install and use.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234