Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    The title of this thread is "Palm Pre 2 still worth it?"

Somebody mentioned that there was a terrible marketing campaign on the Pre 2. I simply mentioned that it came out after the iPhone 4 was at both AT&T and Verizon. At that point there was not any buzz on the Pre 2.

I never said it didn't work well or someone shouldn't buy it. I said it didn't stand a chance in the marketplace when released.
    Yes, i love my Pre2. If you are one of thise app junkies and looking for an to help tech you to tie your shoes of other important apps out there, the you might want to look else where.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    It's just as easy on all webOS devices... it's something to do with your computer/setup.

Also remember in webOS 2.x and 3.x it does not prompt you to restart when you enable dev mode, but you still need to do that.
    I didn't know this...but I was having problems with the novacom installation also. I'm not exactly sure how I got things working, but maybe it had something to do with a restart. I might not have done that the first time. I also thought I might have found a different version of WOSQI that seemed to install the novacom drivers properly.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I believe you've intentionally mistaken the nature of this thread as being a way of talking people out of a Pre 2 rather than it's obvious and clearly stated purpose as written by the OP. They want a Pre 2 and are looking for stories about how Pre 2 works.
    Sorry chap but I think you've misinterpreted it.

The question is, is the Pre2 still worth it?

On the whole I'd say not as your main phone if you are a Smartphone user that wants the current spread of core apps that most users want/use.

Its a dead stick device. Only really worth it for smartphone collectors and the odd person who wants something ironically different.

I would not recommend anyone go out of their way to get one now.

12 months ago, hell yes. But not now. It's Tumbleweed town! The sooner some folks realise and move on the better. Nothing will bring this baby back.

Sorry but thats the reality if most of you are honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post

On the whole I'd say not as your main phone if you are a Smartphone user that wants the current spread of core apps that most users want/use.

Its a dead stick device. Only really worth it for smartphone collectors and the odd person who wants something ironically different.

12 months ago, hell yes. But not now. It's Tumbleweed town! The sooner some folks realise and move on the better. Nothing will bring this baby back.

We here on the forums are tech nerds tend to get caught up with the latest and greatest google and iphone has to offer.

Fact is I know a lot of people who still use dumb phones and don't consider themselves to be in tumbleweed land. And of the smartphone users I know very few care about all these apps people keep crying about.

The only smartphone feature I can think of think of that most people would want is gps.

So pre2 still worth it ? Hell yeah, unless you a tech nerd like Topolsky
    Last edited by laingman; 07/18/2012 at 06:19 AM.
    kupfernigk likes this.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    We here on the forums are tech nerds tend to get caught up with the latest and greatest google and iphone has to offer.

Fact is I know a lot of people who still use dumb phones and don't consider themselves to be in tumbleweed land. And of the smartphone users I know very few care about all these apps people keep crying about.

The only smartphone feature I can think of think of that most people would want is gps.

So pre2 still worth it ? Hell yeah, unless you a tech nerd like Topolsky
    But we are not talking about dumb phones in this forum are we! It's a smartphone forum discussing a smartphone.

The Pre2 as a smartphone is defunct and pretty much obsolete.

I know very few people that do not use a smartphone. I know very few that use such a device thats more than two years old. I cant even remember the last time I saw a iPhone3 it moves on so fast here. I didnt realise that Miami was such a tech backwater. Must be all the pensioners I guess.

It's not about being a tech nerd. A lot of functionality is coming through (especially in the banking and e-payments area) that the Pre/Pre2/Pre3 just isn't going to be a part of.

So unless you can pick up a Pre2 for $50 or less and just for ****s and giggles I'd say move on.

That's your honest opinion...which defines what you interpret as a reality. And that's fine of course because it's part of what you use to decide what works for you.

It's not my opinion...honest!

The Pre2 does fit well into what I need. It has a familiar operating system that I basically know how to use efficiently (I could learn other OSs but I want to use one I know and that functions well for me). I have 3 touchstones...I use them all the time. They are wonderful and convenient. I like wonderful and convenient like most people do. The Touchstone is just one way I enjoy wonderful and convenient. There are many other ways...the Touchstone is one of mine.

Your statement "the sooner some folks realise[/realize (an example of varying 'realities' in varying 'cultures')] and move on the better. Nothing will bring this baby back." [Brackets added by me] seems a bit paradoxical, or self fulfilling. IF people did as you suggest then, of course, nothing will bring this baby (the Pre2 and/or webOS) back. BUT...if people choose a different 'reality' and hang on to their 'precious', then the possibility exists that at least webOS may be brought back.

I'm watching the TBS show "Falling Skies" and I'm reminded of how things can get really bad...and you almost give up...but you keep going, 'keep hope alive' and fight on...and maybe you will survive and turn things around. I'm not sure what will happen with the story on that show, or what will happen with the future of webOS. I am one who keeps hoping...and maybe even helping. And one way I can help is to use a webOS device, buy/download webOS apps, encourage those (shout out to 72ka for one!) who are actively developing apps and working towards a possible future for webOS.

It shouldn't bother those who shake their heads and say "don't waste your time...move on to something that is relevant and growing" whether a rag tag few try to 'keep hope alive'. There's room in this world for more than one mobile communication path. There are many choices out there...[cue 'X-Files' music]

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

Your statement "the sooner some folks realise[/realize (an example of varying 'realities' in varying 'cultures')] and move on the better. Nothing will bring this baby back." [Brackets added by me] seems a bit paradoxical, or self fulfilling. IF people did as you suggest then, of course, nothing will bring this baby (the Pre2 and/or webOS) back. BUT...if people choose a different 'reality' and hang on to their 'precious', then the possibility exists that at least webOS may be brought back.
    Hmm is that John Lennon's 'Imagine' I'm hearing in the background.....

The term 'flogging a dead horse' springs to mind. A dead parrot...etc. etc.

Filed under 'Failed Tech' along with Betamax/HD-DVD/Minidisk/Zipdisks/OS2 and Dreamcast.

I'm happy to use up my Pre2 over the next few months but I'm under no illusion that it's finished as a platform.

I came into this webOS thing for the very first time just 3 months ago...

That's a new user who did research, found out the state of the platform (cut off from corporate support, but with an "olive branch" of open sourcing being extended) and chose willing to adopt webOS by purchasing a used Pre 2. I could not be happier.

I frequent this board quite heavily. I see other first time users signing up. They all seem to know the state of affairs when they join. There is a definite influx of enthusiastic new converts.

Why?

webOS has an elegance and power to it in the UI. People exposed to that become intrigued and many of them pick up a device (or two, or three). It continues to "just work" for many of us.

To say it is a "dead stick" is within the scope of the conversation, yet what does that reveal? Your opinion. Not a fact. Your attitude. Not the absolute reality.

You're making the same mistake as other players on this board (it seems to be a very vocal minority) who use their perspective as a guide to what others MUST believe.

My needs and priorities will not necessarily be the same as yours. I understand mine will not be the same as everyone's so I don't preach that everyone MUST adopt webOS.

Why preach that everyone MUST abandon webOS?

To those who frequent this forum espousing that it is a "dead end" I can only ask: Why do you spend so much time and effort here?

I don't hang out at forums designed for iOS, Android, WinPhone, Bada, Tizen or any other mobile OS saying that they aren't the way... I don't have the time or whatever perspective that keeps people here speaking out against something that others enjoy.

If it's so dead... Why are you wasting your time here?

Maybe you feel like you've been burned and you want to move on. Maybe you feel betrayed and think you are providing a "service" by warning others. It doesn't read that way to me... It just sounds like sour grapes.

I've just edited the above to tone it down, keep it polite. It really is mystifying to me how some hang out here crying "woe and doom upon webOS" and I truly wonder at their motive in continuing on a webOS oriented board if it is such a waste of everyone's time..
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    davidtm likes this.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Oh nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see WebOS pulled from the grave, dusted off, hosed down and pushed back into the mainstream. Then it passes Windows Mob, then Blackberry, then passes iPhone and then crushes Android....

The Pre4 is on the cover of Time Magazine as the new mobile revolution.

Then I woke up...it was just a dream. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. Less cheese before bed maybe?

But this just doesn't happen in real life. The corporate money isn't in it. I am the only person I have ever seen who owns a Pre2. Yes I like it when folks go "Oh what's that?" You tell them and they go"Hmm never heard of it!"

Conversation over.

Am I angry that HP dumped it? I was a little annoyed at the time but not angry. I'm 40 years old and too grown up to get angry with everything that doesn't go my way. Stuff happens! I now realise that really the situation was untenable for HP going forward. Now I think they did the right thing (for them). Sure we lost a great mobile OS but it wasn't going to last. It was just going to get more embarrassing and sad as time went on. Sometimes the best just doesn't make it.

In fact here is what I wrote back on the 20th of August on this very forum -

"Amazed at folks just abandoning ship so quickly. Nothing really changes. Its not like the App store was going to mushroom in size over the next year anyway. We were in a cul-de-sac and always were going to be.

Apps are not such a biggie. As a recent study showed most of the activity on Android is dealt with by around just 10 apps. The rest are just duplicates or trash anyway.

The WebOS covers the major ones. Would be nice to get the Skype app out to all though.

Quit sulking, its only a phone and enjoy it. You would have gotten rid of it within a year anyway most probably."

Palm/WebOS owners will become a small little clique of enthusiasts very much like those that restore old cars or petition TV networks to bring back cancelled shows. If that's what they want then fine but I just hope they realise (yes UK spelling) eventually that it's never going to happen. Accept it and just enjoy their devices while they last.

I had fun while it lasted but I'm just going to be realistic and not live in denial that, in a while it will be time to move onto a different mobile platform.

As to why I hang around here? Well I'm still a Pre2 user. Just because I'm not quite so fervent in my love for it and maybe have a more rational/less emotional view of the current WebOS situation doesn't mean I cant post here does it?
    Last edited by daglesj; 07/18/2012 at 12:43 PM.
    ... We were in a cul-de-sac and always were going to be.

I had fun while it lasted but I'm just going to be realistic and not live in denial that, in a while it will be time to move onto a different mobile platform.

As to why I hang around here? Well I'm still a Pre2 user. Just because I'm not quite so fervent in my love for it and maybe have a more rational/less emotional view of the current WebOS situation doesn't mean I cant post here does it?
    When you said Cul-de-sac, it made me think of...

"Oh, we used to dream of living in a corridor!...There were 150 of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road..." --Monty Python

OK, back to the cul-de-sac. I live on a cul-de-sac...I like living on a cul-de-sac. It's a little safer for the kiddies (hard to get up to deadly speeds in a circle...although mine is more of an elongated egg...reptilian you might say), it's calmer (not just the traffic), folks come out and congregate in the median (we even have a fire pit, and cookouts...come by on Halloween for my Cincinnati Chili!). A cul-de-sac can be a good place to exist, at least for a while. The ice cream truck doesn't come down our street, we hear it going down the main road and that does make me a little sad. So we go out to Bruster's Ice Creamery, hoping they made a batch of Smore's flavor!

We enjoy the setting, the set up. We make some adjustments for the things living in a cul-de-sac deprives us of, but life is pretty good.

I was needing to get another phone...the Pre+ was getting to be in poor condition. I want to have something more rugged, and I want at least Ice Cream Sandwich Android (4.x). I couldn't find a device that filled both those conditions. The Casio Commando was interesting, but limited (800MHz so unlikely to get ICS or function well with it). Maybe something new will come out over the next few months.

The beauty of getting this Pre2 phone for $75 shipped is that I can continue to use the OS of choice, with the charging touchstones I have, and the apps I am used to, with the data transferred over (easier to transfer from Pre+ to Pre2 than from Pre+ to a different platform I believe)...and I still keep my 'new in 2' upgrade. If something exciting happens with open webOS, I can still be 'in the game' so to speak.

I'm still having fun...it's still lasting.

Nothing lasts forever...my Pre2 and my webOS experience won't last forever...it is lasting today...I'm very sure it will be lasting tomorrow. As the days go by, my assurance does begin to drop. When will that day come when I think the lasting has come to an end at last? Don't know yet. I suppose my threshold of 'lasting' is different than yours. As I indicated earlier, that's ok. You can post here of course (I hope nothing in my postings said you shouldn't post), it's just that there are other opinions than yours, and some of them might be something you haven't thought of and might be of interest. I don't think we are disagreeing on that.

By the way, you said some nice things about webOS that I appreciate. Thank you for that. You are interested in being a bit more ahead of the webOS enthusiasts here in seeing the 'effective end' of webOS and in particular, the current devices available that run webOS, thinking about what you might do going forward. I probably won't be too interested in 'seeing the end' for a bit longer...the Pre2 is a big upgrade for my Pre+ experience. Although I do miss that free music ringtones app...seems to not be available for webOS 2.x.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/18/2012 at 03:45 PM.

Well that was certainly a more fulsome explanation as opposed to the short blanket statement of earlier and I appreciate you contributing something substantive.

Certainly you can post here. Anyone can until the Mods yank them out for bad behavior...

I'm was just trying to indicate how such terse statements read and wondering out loud why it is that some stay here when they appear for all intents and purposes to have moved on in a direction divergent from the OS.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I forgot to mention another thing that is good about the Pre2 on Verizon as compared to my Pre+...the GPS works more reliably. I've had lots of trouble with my Pre+...except when I was using VZ Navigator...funny that...but on the Pre2 it usually works...probably 85% of the time (it was about 40% on the Pre+).

But this is only something one would appreciate if they had my experience before.

I forgot to mention another thing that is good about the Pre2 on Verizon as compared to my Pre+...the GPS works more reliably. I've had lots of trouble with my Pre+...except when I was using VZ Navigator...funny that...but on the Pre2 it usually works...probably 85% of the time (it was about 40% on the Pre+).

But this is only something one would appreciate if they had my experience before.
    FYI: VZ Navigator is "on sale" for $4.99 a month. I took the plunge, but I'm still evaluating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    FYI: VZ Navigator is "on sale" for $4.99 a month. I took the plunge, but I'm still evaluating it.
    I'd be interested to know what you think. I used it in the summer of 2010. I didn't like it that much. Oh it was alright most of the time, and I typically got a good GPS lock...but not always! And the purple turn arrow wouldn't always come up showing which way to turn...made it a bit of a guessing game which is a little unnerving in downtown Chicago...not to mention Buffalo, Wyoming!

I've got my frankenpre2 on sprint and it's still doing a fine job for me. I needed to upgrade from my old busted-up pre-, and the frankenpre2 offered me a method of doing so that would allow me to stay grandfathered into my old plan (I'm still on a -stupid- low priced plan thanks to an old corporate discount etc). It hasn't let me down yet. Battery life has been very nice, it tethers like a champion, and it does it's job for -light- web browsing and maps use (at least, it works for maps now that there is a google maps app, thank god for that, the new bing maps app is borderline garbage). I also continue to enjoy the old touchstone - it's nice that I can just drop the phone on the stone with no real worries.

Overall, it let me continue enjoying, without raising my costs for "smartphone" data (a new smartphone would force me into the "smartphone" data package) or having them check out my no longer valid corporate discount/special old grandfathered plan (which would be a real tragedy).

On the other hand, I'll be the first to admit, the pre2 doesn't quite hold up anymore. Apps are basically nonexistant. Speed/responsiveness isn't quite "up to snuff" compared to the newer phones. The screen is just a little bit too small for -everything-, web browsing is practically painful compared to some of the nicer newer handsets on the market. Retina screen blows the little thing away, and the larger slab phones are pretty damn nice once you sit down to use one.

I get around all of those flaws because I've got my touchpad with me almost 24/7. With CM9 at the ready I'm able to do all my more "serious" on-the-go apps and web browsing, tethered through my pre2 with no issues whatsoever. My phone, is a phone. It pulls the OCCASIONAL smartphone duty but that's not really it's job and I'm ok with that. If I had a newer slab phone, I'd probably just use that and leave the touchpad at home.

So that's the pre2 in a nutshell. If you have a good reason to keep it AND don't have a need for a heavy-use mini-tablet slab phone, the pre2 is a great and durable little light-use smartphone for you. The smaller form factor and hardware keyboard are great for the purpose and even though it's not up-to-snuff it will do the job admirably. If on the other hand your phone in your pocket is going to be your primary mobile computing device and is going to see HEAVY use, I'd -highly- suggest you look at something else. The pre2 cannot even hope to compete with today's crop of big slabs, and the new iphone absolutely clobbers it into the dirt screen-vs-screen and app catalog-vs-app catalog.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    When you said Cul-de-sac, it made me think of...

"Oh, we used to dream of living in a corridor!...There were 150 of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road..." --Monty Python

OK, back to the cul-de-sac. I live on a cul-de-sac...I like living on a cul-de-sac. It's a little safer for the kiddies (hard to get up to deadly speeds in a circle...although mine is more of an elongated egg...reptilian you might say), it's calmer (not just the traffic), folks come out and congregate in the median (we even have a fire pit, and cookouts...come by on Halloween for my Cincinnati Chili!). A cul-de-sac can be a good place to exist, at least for a while. The ice cream truck doesn't come down our street, we hear it going down the main road and that does make me a little sad. So we go out to Bruster's Ice Creamery, hoping they made a batch of Smore's flavor!

We enjoy the setting, the set up. We make some adjustments for the things living in a cul-de-sac deprives us of, but life is pretty good.

I was needing to get another phone...the Pre+ was getting to be in poor condition. I want to have something more rugged, and I want at least Ice Cream Sandwich Android (4.x). I couldn't find a device that filled both those conditions. The Casio Commando was interesting, but limited (800MHz so unlikely to get ICS or function well with it). Maybe something new will come out over the next few months.

The beauty of getting this Pre2 phone for $75 shipped is that I can continue to use the OS of choice, with the charging touchstones I have, and the apps I am used to, with the data transferred over (easier to transfer from Pre+ to Pre2 than from Pre+ to a different platform I believe)...and I still keep my 'new in 2' upgrade. If something exciting happens with open webOS, I can still be 'in the game' so to speak.

I'm still having fun...it's still lasting.

Nothing lasts forever...my Pre2 and my webOS experience won't last forever...it is lasting today...I'm very sure it will be lasting tomorrow. As the days go by, my assurance does begin to drop. When will that day come when I think the lasting has come to an end at last? Don't know yet. I suppose my threshold of 'lasting' is different than yours. As I indicated earlier, that's ok. You can post here of course (I hope nothing in my postings said you shouldn't post), it's just that there are other opinions than yours, and some of them might be something you haven't thought of and might be of interest. I don't think we are disagreeing on that.

By the way, you said some nice things about webOS that I appreciate. Thank you for that. You are interested in being a bit more ahead of the webOS enthusiasts here in seeing the 'effective end' of webOS and in particular, the current devices available that run webOS, thinking about what you might do going forward. I probably won't be too interested in 'seeing the end' for a bit longer...the Pre2 is a big upgrade for my Pre+ experience. Although I do miss that free music ringtones app...seems to not be available for webOS 2.x.
    Indeed.
    One guy on our industrial estate drives his 25-year-old Porsche 911 coupe to work every time heavy rain isn't forecast. It is the only car in the car park I would like to have as well as mine.
    And my wife refuses to be parted from her 6 year old Sonim. It floats. It laughs at mud. It is an "obsolete platform" but if you have a dog which regards our local streams, rivers and muddy pools as part of life's varied pleasures, a near-indestructible phone with no touchscreen is ideal. It is onto its second battery and its second charger. By now, had she had them, she would have destroyed about 4 iPhones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupfernigk View Post
    Indeed.
    And my wife refuses to be parted from her 6 year old Sonim. It floats. It laughs at mud. It is an "obsolete platform" but if you have a dog which regards our local streams, rivers and muddy pools as part of life's varied pleasures, a near-indestructible phone with no touchscreen is ideal. It is onto its second battery and its second charger. By now, had she had them, she would have destroyed about 4 iPhones.
    Ha! As one who has dropped their HandERA 330 in a dog water bowl, and a previous phone in the lake (after drying out, still used both for many more months!), I can appreciate the usefulness of the Sonim! Perhaps today's mobile daily deal would be of interest?

Daily Steals Today Mobile [Note: this link will likely be meaningless after today, but at the time of posting it was an iPhone or iPad waterproof case]

...Daily Steals Today Mobile [Note: this link will likely be meaningless after today, but at the time of posting it was an iPhone or iPad waterproof case]
    They say iPhone / iPad... It's a plastic bag that seals making it waterproof. Amazing how they target it for iDevices when virtually any phone or tablet would fit. iFolks spend a lot of iBucks apparently. And the rest of us just don't need stuff???

It makes me really iSad when I iSee this iSort of iStuff iGoing iOn.

iI iDon't iWant iTo iLive iOn iAn iWorld...

iI iNeed iA iRocket iTo iAnother iPlace.

iRemember, iIf iYou iAdd iA iLower iCase iI iTo iThe iFront iOf iAny iWord iIt iIs iSomehow iIrresistable iTo iSheeple.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    They say iPhone / iPad... It's a plastic bag that seals making it waterproof. Amazing how they target it for iDevices when virtually any phone or tablet would fit. iFolks spend a lot of iBucks apparently. And the rest of us just don't need stuff???

It makes me really iSad when I iSee this iSort of iStuff iGoing iOn.

iI iDon't iWant iTo iLive iOn iAn iWorld...

iI iNeed iA iRocket iTo iAnother iPlace.

iRemember, iIf iYou iAdd iA iLower iCase iI iTo iThe iFront iOf iAny iWord iIt iIs iSomehow iIrresistable iTo iSheeple.

i, i, i?

Hey...Rumored...it's not all about you...

RumoredNow likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast