Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    For the record, the Palm Pre 2 was launched on Verizon in Feb 2011. This was a year after the iPhone 4 was released.
    For the record, the CDMA iphone 4 was not released on Verizon until Feb 10, 2011, meaning the CDMA Pre2 was released merely a week later on Feb 17, 2011.

To be complete, the international GSM pre2 was released in France in October 2010, 4 months after the US GSM iphone 4 but roughly the same time as the European GSM iPhone. No US GSM providers carried the Pre2, so it went on sale direct from HPalm November, 2010, 5 months after the US GSM iPhone 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
    For the record, the CDMA iphone 4 was not released on Verizon until Feb 10, 2011, meaning the CDMA Pre2 was released merely a week later on Feb 17, 2011.

To be complete, the international GSM pre2 was released in France in October 2010, 4 months after the US GSM iphone 4 but roughly the same time as the European GSM iPhone. No US GSM providers carried the Pre2, so it went on sale direct from HPalm November, 2010, 5 months after the US GSM iPhone 4.
    Are you suggesting that people looking for new phones in the US only wanted to be with Verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by lexspalmpre View Post
    I'm a proud owner of a pre 2 unlocked, 75 bucks in almost mint condition off craigslist. really a shame how they hold no value but webos is the best of all operating systems as far as interface and being unique for sure. but listen can somebody tell me, I had the sprint pre before and installed preware in 10 min, now on my pre 2 I can't get it and I'm sorry to say my pre 1 with preware is better then pre 2 without. I have webos installer and at launch I get navocom instalation failed. iv been on google all day and can't figure it out. can anybody help or at least point me in the right direction, thanks.... windows xp, palm pre 2 webos2.2.4

btw happy to see so many supporters of web os and umm what happened to pre central haha crazy
    What is webos installer? You mean webos quick install? There is a stand alone preware installer at this url: get.preware.org
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    What is webos installer? You mean webos quick install? There is a stand alone preware installer at this url: get.preware.org
    sorry yes quick install. its installed on my computer fine but then when I'm pluged into it and ready to install preware it sais I need novacom drivers and when I click install it fails. at this url you posted is it something I can do similar to webos quick install? I'll go look at it on the computer now... thanks for the response man
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Konner920 View Post
    I bought a like new Palm Pre 2 GSM unlocked on Ebay and it's coming with a carrier locked AT&T Palm pre plus, two touch stones and two A/C adapters, and I payed about 150 for the bundle. My Galaxy nexus's power button has like a little water damage, so I decided to give WebOS another shot, this time with the Pre 2.

So, is the Pre 2 still a good device to this day?
    In a word, Yes.

I wish that the Pre3 and the other WebOS phones and devices that were in the pipeline had been released. But I'm very happy with my Pre2 as my daily phone.
    Those of us who live in Europe can get Pre 3s and expect them to be supported under EU law. US citizens get the Pre 2 only. It really makes you wonder what Leo The Druggist was thinking. Only in my fevered imagination:

Leo: Also! Vot is das vebOS MobilePhone thingy that we selling are?
    Rubinstein: It's a handheld communications device with a superior user interface and an easy to program operating system.
    Leo: Does it run SAP?
    Rubinstein: Er, no, you don't need to run SAP to make phone calls and send emails.
    Leo: Ah! So it like mein Blackberry ist?
    Rubinstein: Like a Blackberry yes, but better in many ways.
    Leo: Nein, nothing better than a Blackberry can be. Ve must can it!
    Rubinstein: But there are lots of them in the manufacturing program.
    Leo: Sell them to the Europeans. They don't know jack [censored].
    DS_Palm_Lvr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
    By far of all the Pre's the 2 is the most solid. Great form factor with a smooth trouble free slide and a stable OS. And you get all the benefits of Preware and the Patch Community.

I've got 2 - Pre 2's in my desk drawer as backup's to my Pre3's and frankly, I'll be happy using webOS for years to come.

Have fun.
    I decided to sell one of my pre2's so do out my marketplace listing. New in box never activated plus a new boxwave cleartouch screen protector.. Here it is:

NIB Verizon Pre 2 + Extras & Shipping - $125.00
    I still can't get preware on my pre 2, I tried a stand alone installer and I run into problems. why was putting it on my sprint pre so damn easy ugh
    have you enabled developer mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsdad View Post
    have you enabled developer mode?
    yes definatly on, I tried webos quick install and I can't get novacom istalled, I tried stand alone installer, I went to link above by laingman wich I appreciate. I downloaded prewarinstaller.exe and found the correct webosdoctor file from the link also for my particular phone wich was for unlocked 2.2.4. when I launch preware instaler it pulls up a window ipkg installer that sais preware, the advanced homebrew installer. it has a button that sais install preware. when I click it it sais palm novacom drivers not found on this computer. I even tried prewareinstaller1.5.0.jar to see if it would work, when I launch it I get, " unable to locate web os doctor.jar fil, ensure it is in the same directory and try again" well they are in the same folder although the webosdoctor file I downloaded does not say .jar at the end. I'm gettin so annoyed how easy I put this on my sprint pre, and this is so complicated for me. my pre 2 without preware is like me in just my underware in line at starbucks, just not what you want to see lol ugh any ideas anyone? seems like this would all be solved if I could get novacom drivees on my pc, how the hell do I do that. thanks all
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I love the feel of it. I love the look of it. I like the OS.

But its a dead stick apps and development wise. I was most annoyed two months after I bought mine the whole thing was dumped.

Make matters worse several phone payment options I could really use with my business are now available for smartphones but obviously not for WebOS.

My other half bought a Galaxy Note a few months ago and the depth of apps and usability do make me rather green with envy. I do find myself swiping a lot to no avail when I use it.

So chances are the Pre2 will be dropped in a few months for an Android. Just over a years use possibly which is the least I've ever used a phone.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one as their main phone anymore. Maybe a few bucks as a nostalgia trip.
    yes definatly on, I tried webos quick install and I can't get novacom istalled, I tried stand alone installer, I went to link above by laingman wich I appreciate. I downloaded prewarinstaller.exe and found the correct webosdoctor file from the link also for my particular phone wich was for unlocked 2.2.4. when I launch preware instaler it pulls up a window ipkg installer that sais preware, the advanced homebrew installer. it has a button that sais install preware. when I click it it sais palm novacom drivers not found on this computer. I even tried prewareinstaller1.5.0.jar to see if it would work, when I launch it I get, " unable to locate web os doctor.jar fil, ensure it is in the same directory and try again" well they are in the same folder although the webosdoctor file I downloaded does not say .jar at the end. I'm gettin so annoyed how easy I put this on my sprint pre, and this is so complicated for me. my pre 2 without preware is like me in just my underware in line at starbucks, just not what you want to see lol ugh any ideas anyone? seems like this would all be solved if I could get novacom drivees on my pc, how the hell do I do that. thanks all
    Try to reinstall the palm SDK see what happens
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Are you suggesting that people looking for new phones in the US only wanted to be with Verizon?
    My post called out the release of the GSM Pre2 direct from HPalm in the US (emphasis added below) so in no way did I suggest that people in the US only wanted to be with Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post

What I was doing was clearing up the misleading nature of your post, which ignored the release of the US GSM Pre2 and fixing the factual error that the Pre2 came out a year after the iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by rnld
    For the record, the Palm Pre 2 was launched on Verizon in Feb 2011. This was a year after the iPhone 4 was released.
    The Pre2 was commercially released only 4 months after the iPhone4, albeit as an SFR exclusive. For the wider market, depending on geography and carrier preference, the Pre2 only lagged the availability of the iPhone 4 by between 1 week (Verizon), 4 months (SFR), or 5 months (unlocked GSM). Even comparing the first release of the iPhone4 to the Verizon Pre2 release is only 8 months.

I suppose for completeness I should add "infinity" for any carrier that had the iPhone4 but that wasn't compatbile with the Pre2 (*cough* Sprint *cough*) but there were probably some reverse cases of Pres being available in areas the iPhone4 was restricted so Im' not going to bother.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So I got the palm pre 2 today, and since I sold my Gnexus since the power button had water damage, This is my default phone til I can get a Pre 3. when i opened the box I thought i was scammed and got a veer, i had no idea the phone was so small. But i got preware on it and overclocked it to 1.2 Ghz with Uberkernel, and it works fine for what I do. I like it so far, much better than the veer. Less annoying bugs, more fun.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Yeah, the 3.2" screen wasn't so small 3 years ago when the iPhone's 3.5" screen was on the big side. These days it seems anything less than 4" is petite.

The amazing thing is that the tiny Veer has a bigger screen than the Palm Centro or Treo 650, which at the time were perfectly reasonable. If I used AT&T or T-Mobile, I'd have gotten my wife a Veer. Other than texting and the occassional Tapnote shared to-do list, her only app usage is Pandora and getting the verbal directions from GPS in her car.
    I still can't get preware on my pre 2, I tried a stand alone installer and I run into problems. why was putting it on my sprint pre so damn easy ugh
    It's just as easy on all webOS devices... it's something to do with your computer/setup.

Also remember in webOS 2.x and 3.x it does not prompt you to restart when you enable dev mode, but you still need to do that.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    The iPhone 4 was released in the US on June 24 2010 through AT&T

The iPhone 4 was released in the US on feb 10th 2011 through Verizon

The Pre 2 was released in the US on Feb 17 2011 through Verizon

No matter how it's spun, there was absolutely no heat for a Pre 2 in an iPhone 4 and Evo world.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Yes, the Pre2 is still a good device.
    You will miss many of the apps of Android and sometimes it will seem slow, but it's still good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Yes, the Pre2 is still a good device.
    You will miss many of the apps of Android and sometimes it will seem slow, but it's still good.
    I will be activating my Pre2 today after a year on android.. I won't be missing it much at all.. then again, I have an android tablet.

It'll be good to have that change of pace!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The iPhone 4 was released in the US on June 24 2010 through AT&T

The iPhone 4 was released in the US on feb 10th 2011 through Verizon

The Pre 2 was released in the US on Feb 17 2011 through Verizon

No matter how it's spun, there was absolutely no heat for a Pre 2 in an iPhone 4 and Evo world.
    That's not the conversation here. Pre 2 vs iPhone. So what's your point?

For ME the iPhone... has not ever had / does not now have / can't contemplate it in the future as having... any "heat" no matter how hepped up YOU get about it. It's an ugly slab locked down by a bunch of suits who camouflage themselves in tie dye and eat granola to disguise how lock-step, corporate-uber-alles they are. There are plenty of people who don't care for that sort of thing.

I believe you've intentionally mistaken the nature of this thread as being a way of talking people out of a Pre 2 rather than it's obvious and clearly stated purpose as written by the OP. They want a Pre 2 and are looking for stories about how Pre 2 works.

When the iPhone was released is as germane to how a Pre 2 functions in the real world as inserting the history of churning butter into a conversation about people's experience cooking eggs.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    kigmatzomat likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast