Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I just bought one of the DailySteals Verizon Pre2 devices, and am planning to make a Sprint FrankenPre2 device out of it. Before I start, though, I wanted to just clarify a couple of things:

1. I only need to swap the comm board to the new Pre2 device (and NOT the back bezel), correct? If this is true, can I avoid all of the mess with the keyboard rocker switch, etc?

(Is there an updated set of instructions specific to the Sprint Pre- to Verizon Pre 2 upgrade?)

2. If I use the instructions here:

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

do I use the "Sprint Franken Verizon Pre 2" script? (or the "unlocked" version?)

3. Which is the less dangerous way of operating - turning OFF backups on the old device (and thus deleting the profile), or leaving the backups on? Is Airplane mode required in this case?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just don't want to mess this up. I'd like to get it right the first time!
    Best directions to use for creating a FrankenPre2 are those made by Rich Dunbar and posted on the webOS Internals website: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Best directions to use for creating a FrankenPre2 are those made by Rich Dunbar and posted on the webOS Internals website: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals
    Yeah, but his involves doing the bezel, too, which I have heard is potentially unnecessary. I was hoping to get that cleared up.
    If you are converting a Verizon phone, you don't need the bezel, because the antennae are in the same place. When I finally get the guts to convert my GSM Pre2, I'll have to swap bezels.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    Hi all,

I just bought one of the DailySteals Verizon Pre2 devices, and am planning to make a Sprint FrankenPre2 device out of it. Before I start, though, I wanted to just clarify a couple of things:

1. I only need to swap the comm board to the new Pre2 device (and NOT the back bezel), correct? If this is true, can I avoid all of the mess with the keyboard rocker switch, etc?

(Is there an updated set of instructions specific to the Sprint Pre- to Verizon Pre 2 upgrade?)

2. If I use the instructions here:

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

do I use the "Sprint Franken Verizon Pre 2" script? (or the "unlocked" version?)

3. Which is the less dangerous way of operating - turning OFF backups on the old device (and thus deleting the profile), or leaving the backups on? Is Airplane mode required in this case?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just don't want to mess this up. I'd like to get it right the first time!
    ------------------------------

I have the exact same questions...and would appreciate clarification. Thanks.
    I followed Rich's directions (having to swap the bezel for mine) and it was actually pretty easy. I little daunting if you aren't used to messing around with stuff, but not as hard as it seems.
    I was able to carefully rotate the bezel 90° to make room to swap the comm board. This lets you avoid removing the volume rocker but you still have to "unhook" the keyboard to get the comm board out.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Pre 2 that I converted to Sprint without swapping the antenna bezel. Then CDMA antennas are the same for Sprint and Verizon, so no swapping is required.
    I have been somewhat successful repairing laptops and cellphones and the like (in the past)...and would LOVE to buy a new Verizon Pre2 and put the necessary board (from my working 3 year old Sprint Pre-) into the Pre2...

...but am more than a bit queasy about the whole process.

I use my Sprint Pre for everything...and would expect the FrankenPre'd version to work the same way.

Lots to think about...especially after reading posts here...which I have done every day for 3 years....
    I did this the other day. I looked at the instructions but also looked at for additional ideas. Be careful and do the 90 degree swivel at the volume, plugging in the two wires... not sure if they GPS or what, but that's a little difficult. You definately need to get the T5 torx. My pre2 on sprint is working perfectly except for one problem. I can't send or receive texts. If anyone has any ideas about that, Id appreciate hearing about it. Thanks. Doug
    Are there anymore up to date links for the software for making the Franken Pre alot of the links don't have the software on them anymore
    The problem seems to be that the server at palm.cdnetworks.net has gone down. Others started seeing this earlier today but I can't find any information as to why, or if HP is even aware of it.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    What is a "FrankenPre"?
    I received my PreČ a few days ago, did the swap yesterday with my Pre- and everything is working perfectly. The only tricky part for me was the keyboard. There are 2 tabs on each side and it looks like you are supposed to push them in, but I used a small screwdriver to push them OUT to release the keyboard. My Pre- had tons more adhesive glue around that area, but was fine.

That whole part was relatively quick. I put it into recovery mode, ran the verizon doctor from my PC, the restore Palm profile took 20+ minutes, I thought it was frozen. I used my same profile without any issues (I use it for my Touchpad as well). I used latest WOSQI to install Preware, some apps, and about 20+ patches.

To install Sprint Navi + Sprint tv, I had to go into usb mode, copy the .ipk over, and use linux cmd line in WOSQI.

EVERYTHING is working perfectly! I'm typing this post on it right now. Thanks to everyone for the guides!

I bought a refurb Sprint Photon to play around with. The dual core, camera/video recording, large screen, app store are all nice, but the clunky interface + onscreen kb isn't for me.

hopefully I don't break/lose this phone. I love my $65/mo Sprint bill (after 15% work disc). I also like the fast response of the PreČ, and I rarely see the checkerboard when scrolling thru web pages anymore.
    I haven't read about the Franken Pre2 conversion in a while, other than the hardware part.. Is it no longer required to extract the tokens from your Sprint Pre before doing the conversion? I really want to do this swap soon, but I am rather risk averse.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I haven't read about the Franken Pre2 conversion in a while, other than the hardware part.. Is it no longer required to extract the tokens from your Sprint Pre before doing the conversion? I really want to do this swap soon, but I am rather risk averse.
    Nope, no need to swap tokens
    m100, m125, T/X, 755p, Pixi, FrankenPixi+, Pre, FrankenPre2, TP#1 32GB (WebOS-LunaCE, LunOS & CM11), TP#2 (JCS CM11 only), Nexus 4, ????
    Did my FrankenPre last weekend, and I took the shortcut route.

To summarize: use Save/Restore app to copy out as many app settings as possible on the Pre-, copy all the files off the Pre- USB partition, put the Pre- in airplane mode and shut down, remove battery cover & battery, remove the 6 T5 screws, unsnap the keyboard border, unsnap the 2 GPS wires, rotate the bezel ~90 degrees carefully with the volume cables attached, pop off the radio board on the Pre-, repeat all the prior steps for the Pre2, carefully press the Pre- radio onto the Pre2, replace bezel, reattach GPS wires, reconnect keyboard border, screw everything down, then run the VZW Pre2 WebOS 2.1 doctor.

Notes:
    • Definitely watch the video walkthroughs. I watched 2 different ones for different camera angles. The keyboard border removal is the most complicated and tricky step because everything feels so delicate when disassembled.
    • You may be tempted not to run the VZW doctor again b/c the Pre2 will be able to make calls, use 3G and send email but you won't be able to use SMS and will likely act weird when hanging up, getting voice mail alerts, or any other carrier network messages, likely due to the tokens. So just run the doctor again.
    • make sure you get the battery pull-strap out of the way or your headset jack will not work as it blocks the contacts. Sigh.
    • Remember that to Doctor a functional device, you have to boot the phone while holding the VOLUME UP button to get it in USB restore mode. I spent 6 hours trying to get the Doctor to work, removing NovaCom drivers, rebooting my PC, etc.
    • Save/Restore & data backup ahead of time and get the DB3 database in case you want to extract any SMS messages.
    • setting airplane mode before you shut down is handy in case you need to try to get something off your Pre-. Without network access, you won't run into issues when 2 phones try to access the same profile.
    Jonnie and kyleprettyman like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickGamer View Post
    What is a "FrankenPre"?

Where you take a Pre- radio and put it in a Pre+ or Pre2, or the radio from a Pre+ to a Pre2.

Mainly done by sprint users to either get the Pre+ or a Pre2. The radio modules are interchangeable and contain the MEID/ESN data that identifies the phone to CDMA carriers so as far as sprint is concerned, a Pre- radio is a Pre-, regardless of what phone it's slotted into.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    My two cents

Watch the video of one guy who breaks the bezel. It showed my what not to do.

The other is make sure you install Linux drivers before doctoring. I had to improvise because not all the directions worked as written.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterMacSF View Post
    The problem seems to be that the server at palm.cdnetworks.net has gone down. Others started seeing this earlier today but I can't find any information as to why, or if HP is even aware of it.
    Help! The scripts aren't working!!! The hardware part is easy, but now the software part isn't working! I took the modem out of my old Sprint Franken Pre2 to put to create a new Sprint Franken Pre2 (I can do that in my sleep now) but the scripts aren't working!

Anybody else have a suggestion about what I should do next? Are the websites down?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast