1.    #1  
    My beloved Pre2, that was working wonderfully a few weeks ago, has taken a turn for the worse. I think it started when I left it outside on my deck overnight (no rain). The next morning it started acting up. I'm trying to hang on until Sept to see what happens with the open source release . . . but. Anyways, here is my question.

I'm trying to do a battery pull but all of a sudden, the phone will not shut down. When I go through the shutdown sequence instead of shuting down, it reboots. Is there any other way of shutting the phone down? any suggestions?

ET
    Ebay is a great place to get a brand new one for cheap esp if your on verizon
    try doing a reset shift key "r" key and symbol key then when it resets power down the phone.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    try doing a reset shift key "r" key and symbol key then when it resets power down the phone.
    Thanks. Didn't know the reset option was there. Still didn't work though. Phone just reboots instead of shutting down. Frustrating.

What happens if I just pull the battery without a shutdown?
    its not recommended to do often but should not hurt the phone. I suggest shutting it down with the battery pull then doctoring the phone . It will take longer to restart when turning phone back on most of the time after a battery pull as well.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    Okay, thanks. I went ahead and pulled the battery, cleaned the connects. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for the help.
    kool have a great day
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    If you leave your phone outside overnight, and there is any moisture, you may need to get the phone dried out fully. Take it from a Test Engineer, moisture does some really bizarre stuff when it is in small amounts, but enough to bridge some circuits. Before restarting your phone, I would put it in a ziploc bag with some dried rice or silca gel packs if you have them. Let the phone dry fully out overnight. Just a little bit of moisture can hang in there and keep causing issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    If you leave your phone outside overnight, and there is any moisture, you may need to get the phone dried out fully. Take it from a Test Engineer, moisture does some really bizarre stuff when it is in small amounts, but enough to bridge some circuits. Before restarting your phone, I would put it in a ziploc bag with some dried rice or silca gel packs if you have them. Let the phone dry fully out overnight. Just a little bit of moisture can hang in there and keep causing issues.
    Just like a Peregrine Falcon...swooping in like lightening to come up with a solution! Did you know the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest creature on earth? Cool bird...

I know some feel rice doesn't really absorb moisture unless it is heated to boiling water temperature, but I feel like it has helped in a few instances where I used this method. Silica gel packets will work better though. If you do use the rice, I recommend placing a source of warmth near the sealed bag of rice...perhaps a lamp with a bendable neck so you can get the warmth of the lamp to increase the temperature in the bag. Be careful to not get it too hot. I use a 40 watt lamp, about 10 inches away from the bag.

But the silica gel packets are a better bet...why else do you think they are used in industry packaging?
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/09/2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: My first try was too rice-centric. I didn't want to start up the rice argument, so I promoted silica
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Please, let's not start up about the rice again...

Pretty please.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    If I knew a safe temp for all of the materials used in the Pre 2, I would actually tell him to bake it. This is what we do with production boards that have to be washed to remove contaminants and excess solder paste. Just the other day we had some boards that apparently did not get baked and came over for flying probe testing. These things started failing left and right until we realized that they weren't baked. Had the boards placed in the baking chamber (220F) for a couple of hours, and they passed everything (with the exception of actual failures on a couple of the boards). I would imagine 175F for 4 hours would probably be safe for everything, sans the back cover, but not sue about the keyboard components.

Rice is fine, though. Anything that has been dehydrated can readily absorb moisture from the air. But, of course, the silica is the best solution for going the sealed bag route.
  12.    #12  
    Update. I eventually doctored the Pre2 and since i was a doctor virgin it took me a few hours to get it completed. Its been a couple of weeks and so far, so good. My On/Off button doesnt work through (it hasn't since leaving the phone outside over night) and i don't have the ballz to dismantle it to see if i can fix it. I turn the phone on by opening the slider.

My plan is to wait another couple weeks to see if any news surfaces on OpenWebOS making it to a phone.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    kool
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Update. I eventually doctored the Pre2 and since i was a doctor virgin it took me a few hours to get it completed. Its been a couple of weeks and so far, so good. My On/Off button doesnt work through (it hasn't since leaving the phone outside over night) and i don't have the ballz to dismantle it to see if i can fix it. I turn the phone on by opening the slider.

My plan is to wait another couple weeks to see if any news surfaces on OpenWebOS making it to a phone.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I washed an old motorolla headset, the ones that came with the razr's back in the day. Thought it was screwed, so I left it behind when I took a 7 day trip to new york.

Came back, charged it, sure the hell enough, it still worked.

Just leave it be for awhile man, you might get lucky if the dew hasn't ravaged it already from you not immediately finding it and disconnecting power sources. I did.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!