webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > POLL: current FrankenPre users: experience?
POLL: current FrankenPre users: experience?
View Poll Results: What's your CURRENT DAILY-USE FrankenPre2 experience? (check all that apply)
on Sprint w/o any comm. (BT, SMS, MMS, etc) issues. Everything works great 23 71.88%
on Sprint w/ several operating issues I can't resolve; either constant or intermittent 5 15.63%
on another carrier than Sprint, but everything works great. 2 6.25%
on another carrier than Sprint, w/ issues I can't resolve. 1 3.13%
Running 2.0.1 1 3.13%
Running 2.1.0 5 15.63%
Running 2.2.4 21 65.63%
significant "fine tuning" was necessary, but i have everything working well. 3 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/03/2012, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

this poll is for CURRENT DAILY users of a FrankenPre2.

For this poll, a FrankenPre is a Pre2 with a Pre1 comm board installed to use the new hardware with a carrier of your choice.

If you no longer use a FrankenPre, please skip the poll if you're not a current daily user. we'll see how many are using them NOW, daily, and if they're satisfied with the conversion.

i just wanted to see some data on how many of us are out there, doing it successfully; or if it's just a myth and i'm chasing my tail. There's too much miscellaneous and outdated info online to make a reasonable conclusion.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION TO SHARE THIS INFO, which hopefully will be informative for all of us.
Tj

Last edited by TJs4thPre; 07/03/2012 at 06:08 PM.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2012, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

You're poll is missing an option.

Instead of having choices where either everything is perfect, or issues can't be resolved - How about "On Sprint with occasional minor issues that get fixed with a restart - but works great"

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

No issues whatsoever on what is my daily driver (took a GSM Pre2 and swapped out the commboard for my Pre- Sprint commboard). I highly recommend the FrankenPre2 upgrade. Just follow the webOS Internals instructions.

I wish Palm/HP had never wasted resources on the Veer and just made the Pre2 their entry/mid level phone and the Pre3 their premium phone (If they hadn't spent time on Veer, I wonder if that would have helped give them the resources needed to create the Pre3 slab counterpart WindsorNot/Stingray). Other than the screensize/resolution being small/low, the Pre2 is a great phone.
Scotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Running 2 GSM Pre2 with Sprint comm baords. on webOS 2.2.4. I installed Sprint Navigation with no issues, couldnt get the other Sprint apps like TV to work. Phones are fine, my wifes might have an occasional hiccup with the GPS, and mine with dropping Bluetooth device (Plantronics Voyager Pro) but could be the device not the phone...

Overall still the best phone ever, Pre 3 is great too, but the form factor of the Pre 2 is better in the hand, and to get a case for your belt.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
DJeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure if I should participate in this. I do use my Franken Pre on a daily bases, but just as an MP3 player. I don't recall having any issues when I was using it as my main phone. It's on 2.2.4.
sinime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mostly everyone who had their Pre upgraded to a Pre 2 through WebOS World Services has been completely positive.
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
You're poll is missing an option.

Instead of having choices where either everything is perfect, or issues can't be resolved - How about "On Sprint with occasional minor issues that get fixed with a restart - but works great"
that's intentionally not an option. there are plenty of "almost there's", whether it's "got close but gave up/upgraded/switchedOS" or "sure it requires a reboot once in a while..."

but i don't care how many almost's there are. i want to know how many have a FrankenPre that works non-stop. Because this is a project that passionate experts have been working on for months. it should be better than a OEM release, IMHO. But that's obviously high expectations, and i'm ok with keeping it to reality. So in reality, how many people actually have a FrankenPre2 running on Sprint and in their opinion, they "got it right". is it a dozen people, or 100? or 3?
Old 07/05/2012, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
No issues whatsoever on what is my daily driver (took a GSM Pre2 and swapped out the commboard for my Pre- Sprint commboard). I highly recommend the FrankenPre2 upgrade. Just follow the webOS Internals instructions.

I wish Palm/HP had never wasted resources on the Veer and just made the Pre2 their entry/mid level phone and the Pre3 their premium phone (If they hadn't spent time on Veer, I wonder if that would have helped give them the resources needed to create the Pre3 slab counterpart WindsorNot/Stingray). Other than the screensize/resolution being small/low, the Pre2 is a great phone.

I was unaware you could put a CDMA comm board into a GSM phone.

But I agree, HP bet on the wrong horse when they went to ATT with the Veer, instead of making a better Pre and making things right with Sprint who had bet on them first.

But i remember at the time, with the touch pad market, all the R&Ders wanted "partner" products. They didn't expect such a quick migration of desktops to laptops, and laptops to touchpads, essentially bypassing the short netbook trend.

The veer was meant to be a voice handset, in synergy with the touchpad which would be your primary data hardware. The fact that you can't swap batteries in the Veer is an example of this plan. Palm had the right idea with the Synergy. HP didn't want to support it and we all suffered. Idiots blew it, because Iphone/pad have done it, and Samsung would have done it too if there wasn't legal hassle on their touchpads from Apple.

Now there's a zillion chinese android pads, so the discount market is saturated. The premium market is Iphone. it's brand is too ingrained as a status symbol now, thanx to their insane pricing for exclusivity. They knew what they were doing tho. HP had no clue, and still doesn't, meanwhile the whole world is coming out with things: Windows, Google, Dell, etc. and LTE is going mainstream. WebOS needs a BANK to come back. and who's banking on it? Google just bought the whole Enyo team, didn't they??

agh, don't get me started. i only want quality HSPA+ for a year or so, so i can keep streaming Pandora commercial free. that's it!
Old 07/05/2012, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
Running 2 GSM Pre2 with Sprint comm baords. on webOS 2.2.4. I installed Sprint Navigation with no issues, couldnt get the other Sprint apps like TV to work. Phones are fine, my wifes might have an occasional hiccup with the GPS, and mine with dropping Bluetooth device (Plantronics Voyager Pro) but could be the device not the phone...

Overall still the best phone ever, Pre 3 is great too, but the form factor of the Pre 2 is better in the hand, and to get a case for your belt.
aha!

comm issues with 2.2.4. another push for rolling it back to 2.1.0.

did you have your devices on 2.1.0 before updating? did they work better then, or still same issues? because today was my first full day testing the Pre3 at work, and i had NO comm issues. BT reconnected correctly; Google chat stayed logged in. The only hang up was occasional data drop from STalk and advancing the song thru the BT cleared that up.

If i can't get the Pre2 to work as well in the same conditions, it's going on fleabay. The Pre3 did good today, and that's with calls forwarding in from the pre1 as well.
Old 07/05/2012, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
Mostly everyone who had their Pre upgraded to a Pre 2 through WebOS World Services has been completely positive.
hey Jake, this is the first i've heard of WebOS World Svcs. i'll look into it.

i have no problem deferring to experience, expertise, or just reliable dumb luck. i even ask for directions. what i don't like is wasting time and doing things more than once.

i wish there was a dedicated svc. for conversions. i'd have done it ages ago. now i gotta Pre3. if i get used to carrying this brick in my pocket, and somehow find a way to charge extra batteries, i'm committing to it.

but i'll check out your recommendation; thx!
Old 07/05/2012, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

wow. that's not bad so far.

i have to wonder, was the Pre2 body a VZN or GSM? People are reporting here they're putting Sprint comm boards into GSM phones. Whose? ATTs? i wonder if the VZN is making it harder to adapt.

thanx for the feedback on this thread, everyone.
Old 07/05/2012, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have a gsm frankenpre for about a year and a half now. It was done by webos world services. No problems here, its work horse
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2012, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

only 16 people? wow, that puts it in perspective. i AM a nut trying to get this thing going.

but, it seems to be working. if this attempt doesn't stay working i'll try the OEM doctor.

can someone explain to me how you can use the Verizon 2.1 doctor straight from the HP login site on Sprint?? won't that set your Sprint settings to VZN? that's why i've been afraid to use it and risk deactivating the comm board from Sprint's network. i don't want this thing trying to call Verizon to activate again.

also, if anyone has time to PM me any settings or patches they chose that made a big improvement, i'm open to hear good advice.

i've finally got the Pre2 working on Sprint. this is the closest i've been. if tweaks or patches are all i need now, i hope to get some good suggestions.

thanks in advance.
Tjs10thPre (Pre2)
Old 07/09/2012, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

I guess I have the same question as the OP. My 3 yr old Sprint Pre- is showing its age...does the standard Frankenpre (my activated board into a new VZN Pre2) transformation result in a Sprint-based phone that 'just works' in every way? If so...that is mighty tempting indeed.
josephandrews222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2012, 06:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post
I guess I have the same question as the OP. My 3 yr old Sprint Pre- is showing its age...does the standard Frankenpre (my activated board into a new VZN Pre2) transformation result in a Sprint-based phone that 'just works' in every way? If so...that is mighty tempting indeed.
To make a frankenpre you can use verizon pre2 or inlocked gsm pre2
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2012, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

I can not stress, the cdma firmware in verizon webOS 2.1.0 (v1.8) should be applied to a cdma comm board for compatibility with webOS 2.1.0 or 2.2.4. I am using a Verizon PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4, I had a ton of issues at V1.7 (Verizon webOS 2.0.1). Even worse is webOS 1.4.5.x modem firmware. YMMV on Sprint...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2012, 10:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
that's intentionally not an option. there are plenty of "almost there's", whether it's "got close but gave up/upgraded/switchedOS" or "sure it requires a reboot once in a while..."

but i don't care how many almost's there are. i want to know how many have a FrankenPre that works non-stop. Because this is a project that passionate experts have been working on for months. it should be better than a OEM release, IMHO. But that's obviously high expectations, and i'm ok with keeping it to reality. So in reality, how many people actually have a FrankenPre2 running on Sprint and in their opinion, they "got it right". is it a dozen people, or 100? or 3?
In that case, I'll just vote 'running 2.2.4' and 'on Sprint and everything works great'. I've been running that all the way through beta and only have a few minor hiccups here and there. No OS will run perfectly - but for running a device not released on Sprint, on an OS version that the webOS development team went out of their way to make sure worked with the FrankenPre's (yes, they certainly did) - it's been a fantastic device.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 03:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

wow...it's interesting to see when i was quoted in this thread, i was at Tj's4thPre. Now i'm on my 11th, and it's a complete Sprint FrankenPre2. I've only just completed it, so i honestly need a week's daily-use to consider field testing complete; but i think i've finally done it.

With the help of the community, I have a Sprint FrankenPre2 running 2.2.4, streaming Pandora, and synching with all google accounts well so far.

I don't like reading threads where the O.P. doesn't come back to post results; and I like leaving threads for future users as a useful piece of info, not just another useless page to 'comb thru' and find nothing helpful.

so if you found this thread searching FrankenPre advice; i can say that it is doable, and i'm happy this time around. the first one, back in July, which seems like years ago, wow; i dropped and cracked. but i brought it back to life with a donor screen, and you can find that thread with lots of helpful links I used to make it, here:
No matter what u hear in there; no matter how cruelly I beg u; DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR!

Good luck, fellow mad scientists!
Old 01/11/2013, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I guess there is still no way to activate a FrankenPre on Sprint, is there? I used to use it on Sprint, but have since activated another phone. I was thinking I could go back to the FrankenPre, but it seems that I cannot. At least without swapping the comm board back.

It is a gsm Pre2 with a sprint Pre comm board installed.
tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0