Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    *i apologize in advance for how long and boring this thread is. i didn't realize it'd get this long.

i once went to check out lasik surgery. a disclaimer in the propaganda basically said "if you're a perfectionist/complainer, this ain't for you".

i'm beginning to wonder if owning a webOS phone without carrier support is similar.

i have an old truck, an 88 4Runner; and i acknowledge that it will always need tweaking to keep rolling. it's high maintenance cuz of its age. meanwhile my 97 civic asks for nothing but oil changes and fuel.

IS OWNING A PRE, ANY PRE, SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE LEFT TO PEOPLE WHO CAN WORK ON THEIR PRE (soft/firm/hardware) with some significant degree of technical know-how, like it's also part of their daily work routine?

because i'm just a consumer who researches like mad, then buys the best possible value. when the palm pre released, i waited for the first batch sell out to pass, but i was right on it for the second batch. and even though i had 6 bad refurbs, i still dig the phone.

so i bought a Pre3 and have tried it on Straight Talk for 2 mos. it's impractical. the 4G combined with bluetooth all day kills the batteries and there's limited accessory support to provide add'l power easily. i'd need the biggest power bank to rely on the Pre3. Plus, the ATT service plans are just overpriced. i'm not paying $100 a month with ATT or
    Verizon, when i've been paying $60 a month for true unlimted with Sprint for over 10 yrs. (yes i'm hiding from the inevitable $10 sprint smartphone tax, but until then...heheh)

SO - IF YOU'VE READ THIS FAR, you may be someone who's interested enough in webOS to help me. Because it's people like me who continually pitch webOS as the best and no one freakin' knows it because of circumstances beyond our control. so far.

THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO:

1. Pre 3. How do i confirm the settings are optimum? is there a way to "start from scratch", or is it better to update, and does the update renew everything, or possibly leave other things that need to be corrected first with a roll back?

if you know a link to a post which corrects bugs, please PM it to me. i read the thread here, but i didn't find useful information. i'm having trouble finding the info after reading many threads.

who is using a Pre3 daily, and thinks it's a capable, hassle free phone like any other phone on the market, an android or whatever? no problems with chat, bluetooth, smooth graphic operations, etc.

2. Pre 2. I want to use this phone on Sprint. i am right now. but i'm experiencing significant issues, lag, freeze, bluetooth stops but says it's on, google chat keeps dropping offline, sometimes won't connect to web.

if you can PM me a clear outline of the order to undo all the doctoring i've done, even if it means physically moving it and rolling it back to 1.4.5 to do the latest network update, please do.

i have some confusion over when to use the "volume up, plug in" (recovery mode?) vs. just plugging it in "just charge mode" vs. when it must be in DEVMODE first.

Can it all be done with WOQI now, or is an ubuntu based method the only way to really do it right? i have the ubuntu on this machine from the first time i tried it, before i found the quik in.

are there people right now, using a Pre2 on sprint as if it was just like a Pre1 that's been overclocked and rebuilt with sturdier hardware. Seeing the 3 of them together on touchstones, the Pre2 looks like the cross-breed of the 1 and 3. size of one, looks of the other. they're so cute all lined up, but eh pre3 is a lot bigger when open.

if you are using a Pre 2 with a VZN body and Sprint comm board, and are happy with all radio features of the phone, including streaming Pandora, i'd like to hear from you in a PM as to how you got it just right. i really want to use this Pre2 on Sprint for a while, before i decide to move to the Pre3 when fauxG prices come down.

im using the Pre 2, and it's irritating me cuz the features are buggy. i gotta fix it, or get it fixed. or know that it's not a fixable thing, you have to maintain it.

i have to get my phone workng reliably before my job forces me to get a blackberry. nooooo

again, i have a Sprint Pre- with someone else's Sprint comm board in it (inactive), my Pre2 already active with my comm board, but acting buggy as heck. it's got 2.2.4 on it and nothing else, but it had a lot of patches and preware. the WOQI says i uninstalled everything. is there a way to wipe everything without fubar'ing the comm board? i dont want to move it back.

and i have the Pre3 on Straight Talk and i'm not impressed with it enough to just blow off the Pre2. what's that tell ya.

thank you in advance for any advice. now i'm going to add apologies in advance at the top of this post for how freakin' long its become.
    LOL that is alot...

One thing I zeroed in on is the Pre 3 and battery life. I guess the Bluetooth is a headset? I suppose you need to use voice for work quite frequently?

Voice is a battery killer on ANY phone so far as my experience and reading goes.

But it also sounds like the Pre 3 is the phone you most want to love?

I don't have a Pre 3, but on my Pre 2 (and recently Veer) I've done a couple things to extend the battery life.

First off is GPS Icon in Top Bar and GPS in Device Menu patches. That way I can keep GPS off (and know it is off) until I need it for an App.

In Location Services > Preferences > Find me using... Enable both GPS and Google Services... I find that it fixes my location faster when I do want to use GPS (which is a big time battery drain, waiting for a fix).

Brightness in Device Menu. I keep it dialed down, way down, unless absolutely necessary. So what if I squint a bit in the sun?

UberKernel, ondenadtcl Profile and Govnah... I went through all the TCP Congestion settings one by one and tested them with the SpeedTest App. Westwood gave me the best speeds consistently (YMMV) and that is what I run. Maximize Data flow efficiency to minimize drain.

I am overclocked. (Who wants a slow phone?) But I'm energy conscious about it. The Up Threshold is set high (75% on Pre 2 and 85% on Veer) so the overclock doesn't kick in until the CPU is pretty loaded. And I looked at Powersave Bias... It goes up to 100. Stock is 0. I have been running both phones with Powersave Bias at 10 and have no discernible lag, but am convinced it really helps battery life. Lastly make sure Screen State is Enabled so when your screen is off the processor goes way down no matter what you have left open...

Email... Like most people these days you probably have multiple email addresses. Which one do you need for business? Can you set it to refresh less often (difficult for some jobs, I know) and the one the family might use could be refreshing less often perhaps? Any others can be set to manual refresh. Push email is another battery killer. As well as IMs etc. Limit messaging as much as possible during business hours.

I can't answer anything about Sprint Pre 2. It's a different carrier and comm board from what I've used. The Doctors over at Internals have worked for me... Be sure to verify the md5 checksum after downloading to make sure you got a good copy.

If you have Windows here is a handy tool: md5sum checker.rar

Just drop a file onto the md5sums.exe icon and it will open an MSDOS window and show you the checksum.

There is the Unhide Dev Mode patch. It is quite handy as it stays on your launcher and makes it easy to toggle Dev Mode off and on. If you need it on a program will tell you. I know WOSQI does.

I hope some of that helps and that others will chime in on the points I missed.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    LOL that is alot...

One thing I zeroed in on is the Pre 3 and battery life. I guess the Bluetooth is a headset? I suppose you need to use voice for work quite frequently?

Voice is a battery killer on ANY phone so far as my experience and reading goes.

But it also sounds like the Pre 3 is the phone you most want to love?

I don't have a Pre 3, but on my Pre 2 (and recently Veer) I've done a couple things to extend the battery life.

First off is GPS Icon in Top Bar and GPS in Device Menu patches. That way I can keep GPS off (and know it is off) until I need it for an App.

In Location Services > Preferences > Find me using... Enable both GPS and Google Services... I find that it fixes my location faster when I do want to use GPS (which is a big time battery drain, waiting for a fix).

Brightness in Device Menu. I keep it dialed down, way down, unless absolutely necessary. So what if I squint a bit in the sun?

UberKernel, ondenadtcl Profile and Govnah... I went through all the TCP Congestion settings one by one and tested them with the SpeedTest App. Westwood gave me the best speeds consistently (YMMV) and that is what I run. Maximize Data flow efficiency to minimize drain.

I am overclocked. (Who wants a slow phone?) But I'm energy conscious about it. The Up Threshold is set high (75% on Pre 2 and 85% on Veer) so the overclock doesn't kick in until the CPU is pretty loaded. And I looked at Powersave Bias... It goes up to 100. Stock is 0. I have been running both phones with Powersave Bias at 10 and have no discernible lag, but am convinced it really helps battery life. Lastly make sure Screen State is Enabled so when your screen is off the processor goes way down no matter what you have left open...

Email... Like most people these days you probably have multiple email addresses. Which one do you need for business? Can you set it to refresh less often (difficult for some jobs, I know) and the one the family might use could be refreshing less often perhaps? Any others can be set to manual refresh. Push email is another battery killer. As well as IMs etc. Limit messaging as much as possible during business hours.

I can't answer anything about Sprint Pre 2. It's a different carrier and comm board from what I've used. The Doctors over at Internals have worked for me... Be sure to verify the md5 checksum after downloading to make sure you got a good copy.

If you have Windows here is a handy tool: md5sum checker.rar

Just drop a file onto the md5sums.exe icon and it will open an MSDOS window and show you the checksum.

There is the Unhide Dev Mode patch. It is quite handy as it stays on your launcher and makes it easy to toggle Dev Mode off and on. If you need it on a program will tell you. I know WOSQI does.

I hope some of that helps and that others will chime in on the points I missed.

thank you for the thorough response!

i do have the publicly available phone settings at their most power-thrifty (like screen to dimmest, checking mailboxes at 6 hrs, GPS off, etc) so for the basics, i've got it as thrifty as possible.

i have not tweaked any below the surface settings, so i don't know the Up threshold, no gov or uber on there at the moment, and checksums? over my head.

and honestly, i dont think i'm ready for the Pre3 to be the one that i crave the most. ATT's plan is still too high$. when LTE goes mainstream, HSPA+ hopefully will come down in price, and that's when i'd consider a switch. but Straight talk is not making me happy. i may try redpocket or whatever it's called. but until then, i don't need fauxG, i'd rather have a rock solid and good price 3G that will stream pandora continuously and pair with my bluetooth without issues.

lately, they're both dropping connection, and not repairing, but the Pre3 is doing it like crazy.

so i really want the Pre2 on Sprint, working reliably like my Pre 1 was, but faster response and with more solid hardware build. is that unobtainable?

p.s. i remember a Bob's big boy when i was like 5. (so that's '75) there was a huge statue of him outside. like 15 ft tall, you could see him way down the road. i thought he was so cool. i remember being sad when they tore it down. i wonder what happened to him and all his twins.
    I FrankenPre'd for Sprint my developer Pre 2 that Palm sent me and ended up ditching it 4 months later when it began randomly rebooting and not even receiving calls correctly. (With a pregnant wife at the time, that was simply unacceptable.) Whether it was hardware or the FrankenPre-doctored OS was irrelevant; for all the time I spent trying to get it stable, nothing worked and I just didn't have time to sit around messing with patches and tweaks during the little free time I had.

I then looked into the Pre 3 (which would have forced me to leave Sprint after 13 years), saw the forum here with all the bugs being reported and knowing HP wasn't going to support it nor offer a warranty for the units that leaked out, and decided that wasn't for me. No manufacturer support or warranty was a dealbreaker for a phone I'd have to drop hundreds of dollars on. And replacement parts other than maybe the battery? Good luck.

My old release-day Sprint Pre just wasn't up to the task as a backup to my Pre 2, either, having grown case cracks and looseness ("the oreo effect") after two years and it was frankly outdated (single-core 600Mhz, 256MB RAM). I wasn't about to buy another.

Ended up going Android (Photon 4G Worldphone, rooted in 5 minutes, which "just works" even today) and decided to enjoy my Touchpad instead for the webOS experience. Now even my Touchpad's got case cracks out of nowhere and sits in its Touchstone using Android CM9 97% of the time as a real-time updating dashboard of widgets.

If only HP had produced good hardware coupled with relatively bug-free versions of webOS that didn't require constant doctoring and patching to get a passable experience on par with iOS and Android, webOS would still be my daily driver, guaranteed. It's the modern little OS that looked and felt like it could be the best in the market, but in the end just couldn't pull it off.

If you take a poll of who's left in this community and ask them who's running 100% stock and who isn't, I'd bet 95%+ have modified their units with at least a few patches, if not doctoring beyond spec and running more than just a few patches to make everything work smoothly and to their liking. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing and you have the time for it.

Point being, if you're someone that likes to tweak your OS and hardware a lot for stability and personalization, then webOS is perfect for you (especially if you're an experienced developer) and the sky's the limit though there are things that haven't and may never be fixed. If you don't have the time to mess around with patches and settings or expect a perfect experience on stock OS and hardware, then honestly webOS for you is likely going to end up a wasted exercise in frustration.

Simply put, webOS is a tinkerer's OS at this stage of the game.
    Last edited by dignitary; 07/01/2012 at 02:37 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    I FrankenPre'd for Sprint my developer Pre 2 that Palm sent me and ended up ditching it 4 months later when it began randomly rebooting and not even receiving calls correctly. (With a pregnant wife at the time, that was simply unacceptable.) Whether it was hardware or the FrankenPre-doctored OS was irrelevant; for all the time I spent trying to get it stable, nothing worked and I just didn't have time to sit around messing with patches and tweaks during the little free time I had.

I then looked into the Pre 3 (which would have forced me to leave Sprint after 13 years), saw the forum here with all the bugs being reported and knowing HP wasn't going to support it nor offer a warranty for the units that leaked out, and decided that wasn't for me. No manufacturer support or warranty was a dealbreaker for a phone I'd have to drop hundreds of dollars on. And replacement parts other than maybe the battery? Good luck.

My old release-day Sprint Pre just wasn't up to the task as a backup to my Pre 2, either, having grown case cracks and looseness ("the oreo effect") after two years and it was frankly outdated (single-core 600Mhz, 256MB RAM). I wasn't about to buy another.

Ended up going Android (Photon 4G Worldphone, rooted in 5 minutes, which "just works" even today) and decided to enjoy my Touchpad instead for the webOS experience. Now even my Touchpad's got case cracks out of nowhere and sits in its Touchstone using Android CM9 97% of the time as a real-time updating dashboard of widgets.

If only HP had produced good hardware coupled with relatively bug-free versions of webOS that didn't require constant doctoring and patching to get a passable experience on par with iOS and Android, webOS would still be my daily driver, guaranteed. It's the modern little OS that looked and felt like it could be the best in the market, but in the end just couldn't pull it off.

If you take a poll of who's left in this community and ask them who's running 100% stock and who isn't, I'd bet 95%+ have modified their units with at least a few patches, if not doctoring beyond spec and running more than just a few patches to make everything work smoothly and to their liking. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing and you have the time for it.

Point being, if you're someone that likes to tweak your OS and hardware a lot for stability and personalization, then webOS is perfect for you (especially if you're an experienced developer) and the sky's the limit though there are things that haven't and may never be fixed. If you don't have the time to mess around with patches and settings or expect a perfect experience on stock OS and hardware, then honestly webOS for you is likely going to end up a wasted exercise in frustration.

Simply put, webOS is a tinkerer's OS at this stage of the game.
    you make some good points. and if i hadn't just made the progress i did, i'd be agreeing with them i'm sure. so far, i've had bad luck with doctoring Pre's to make them work as a daily driver, so to speak.

well tonight, after "Big Boy's" comments above (RumoredNow) i decided to focus on the Pre3. i did a lot of searching, found that there's a lot of support for the phone in EU where it's still listed by HP as an active, not retired, product. so, i did a full reset, deleted the backup (which HP found the acct, just not the data/apps/etc), a fresh reinstall of the doctor straight from HP's website, (ATT Pre3 v2.2.4) following the instructions there about USB mode from a wall plug first.

then i found a couple good threads, and picked up some key tips:

i used the WOQI to install Preware, then Preware to install everything. it prompted me to reboot Luna for almost every patch install. the WOQI did not on my last attempt at this, so it may have contributed to my bugginess earlier. i also installed the devmode toggle so i could switch it back on after every reboot. this had to help as well. i dont think i did this the first time either.

i found a link to a few threads recommending a few 'must have' downloads, so i went ahead with the uberkernel, govnah at default; bluetooth fix patch, wifi fix patch, touchscreen "smoother", and a couple tweaks to the top bar and device menu for power savings controls, like dimming the screen to 1%, suppressing a list of loggers, and a few others. some of the patches require "services" to be installed, like systoolsmgr which enabled the LED flashlight, even though it said "error" at first.

sometimes i hit a snag on install, it turned out i was trying to install without data on, so make sure it's on.

then i removed and re-first time paired my bluetooth. so far tonight, i've been on wifi and H+ with no interruptions to my streaming Pandora. and with my new $5 2A USB cigarette lighter adapter, i am adding power while i run pandora and bluetooth. i'll experiment with a navi running on top as soon as i download one since i'm not buying ATT nav through STalk.

so, tonite the Pre3 is impressing me. i also read an article that someone was pushing the limits of tethering and monitoring with an app, and when he got close to 3G of use, he got a call from the ST Inquisition. so he backed off and hasn't had a problem. i've never used over 2G on sprint so i'm going to do the same thing a while before porting my number. i dont want to lose a number i've had for 8 yrs.

but right now the Pre3 is performing well. so i'll keep using it and see if it sustains performance as reported. if so, i can endorse purchasing a new ATT Pre3 from fleabay and using it with STalk's $45 plan. The phone really is a nice phone. it is a little big for someone who keeps phone in left pocket always. that's why i want the pre2. smallest, smoothest smartphone around in a land of portable television/phones. ugh. the pre is perfect for pocket size, but gorilla glass is welcome because i dont use a case.

so tomorrow maybe i'll start again on the Pre2, from scratch, and try to follow the same game plan as what i did with the Pre3. 2.2.4 is available for the Pre2, so I should be able to set it up the same. (i mean, similarly. hehe let's not get carried away)

but, i may have to replant the comm board in the original phone and get the network settings and PRL info. because even tho people keep saying "if you're not roaming it doesn't matter", that is b.s. the PRL definitely has an effect on your connectivity. it appears to determine which towers you switch along as you move through town. the Pre3, being GSM, has none of that nonsense. The Sprint phone may prove to be too much a hassle to be worth dealing with any further, if the Pre 3 starts shining now that it's set up this way. hopefully a good way, maybe even close to a right way.

i'll report my next attempt on the Pre2 and update on the Pre3 now that i've set the preferred tweaks in what seems to be a correct manner.
    Last edited by TJs4thPre; 07/01/2012 at 02:54 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    It seems like you're a natural-born tinkerer, then. Good luck and carry on! I didn't mean to come across as a downer; I just lay it out straight.

I remember messing with a Pre 3 prototype one of the HP VPs was carrying around at the Dev shindig HP had in San Francisco in Feb '11, and it was a really solid phone. It's just unfortunate that it got killed before HP could put its support behind it anywhere other than the EU; it was far more solid than the Pre 2 I got a month later, even. I didn't care much for the Veer.

One thing to note, however. The EU won't support US versions of the Pre 3, so if you ever have a hardware failure, you're going to be stuck as they won't accept it for repair, even if you're willing to send it across the pond. I imagine it's a corporate liability thing, plus they likely don't have some of the specialized parts the regional versions require.

And NDrive (the only nav system with offline maps) just discontinued its support for webOS, so you'll want to look into NavIt or the newest version of Google Maps in homebrew as a replacement navigation system.
    Last edited by dignitary; 07/01/2012 at 02:47 AM.
    Hey TJs4thPre...

Glad you are having a better experience. I have to say that reading not only the help on this board, but also the help in the Apps themselves has made a difference for me. It's one of the things I love about webOS, just as Dignitary stated, it is a tinkerer's OS... And as he implies, that is both good and bad depending on your mindset.

Me - I can't hardly keep from poking at a device until I feel I understand it enough to make it behave how I want.

webOS helps those who help themselves.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    P.S.: also for any Pre - to Pre 2 I really feel quite strongly that the [HLI-PRESL] Buy Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery For Palm Pre, Palm Pre 2 and Palm Pixi is your best friend.

I read a lot of threads and comments around here before pulling the trigger and getting a Mugen. Totally worth the cost - mine charges up to 1454 mAh after the conditioning cycles and lasts a long time. It's a huge advantage over the stock battery, fits in the phone without an extended back and appears to be a quality product all the way around. Reports on the cheap batteries seem to say they are just that - cheap, but people seem to like buying them in multiples and doing the battery swap thing during the day... Reports on the Seido are sketchy - some report only getting stock charge or less from them and they claim to be 1350 mAh units. Dr. Battery himself, somline, warns against the Seido and it costs more than a Mugen to boot.

Try a Mugen 1400 for your Pre / Pre 2... It's a solid value on gaining more battery life in one easy step.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  9.    #9  
    i got a mugen in the Pre3. works well.

i have so many extra batteries for the Pre i don't need anymore, unless they all start poopin out.

i bought a 2A charger for the car, and this cool retractable cord by Belkin, keeps it from getting tangled. the 2A recharges fast. i've also had the 3 in the 2A and the 2 in the 1A and it charged them both.

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    P.S.: also for any Pre - to Pre 2 I really feel quite strongly that the [HLI-PRESL] Buy Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery For Palm Pre, Palm Pre 2 and Palm Pixi is your best friend.

I read a lot of threads and comments around here before pulling the trigger and getting a Mugen. Totally worth the cost - mine charges up to 1454 mAh after the conditioning cycles and lasts a long time. It's a huge advantage over the stock battery, fits in the phone without an extended back and appears to be a quality product all the way around. Reports on the cheap batteries seem to say they are just that - cheap, but people seem to like buying them in multiples and doing the battery swap thing during the day... Reports on the Seido are sketchy - some report only getting stock charge or less from them and they claim to be 1350 mAh units. Dr. Battery himself, somline, warns against the Seido and it costs more than a Mugen to boot.

Try a Mugen 1400 for your Pre / Pre 2... It's a solid value on gaining more battery life in one easy step.
  10.    #10  
    well i THOUGHT the Pre2 was working well. Today at work it proved otherwise. Bluetooth was completely jacked up. showed connected but no audio coming through, even when toggling a live call through speaker, ear, or blue. the first two had audio, no BT audio. try to switch the BT off, and it freezes trying continually.

also, phone's not ringing until it's too late to grab the call. so i missed a call from a recruiter today; called her back in 5 mins and she blew me off the rest of the day so i guess i missed out on that.

and the touchscreen is ignoring my finger. hanging up, touching the device drop-down menu, etc.

so tomorrow i'll carry both phones, but i'll try my daily BT and pandora routine on the 3. if i can't stream pandora on BT anymore, i'll put my comm board back in my Pre- and hope at least IT still works. the phone was slow, but it worked.

really bummed over this FrankenPre stuff. too much hype for not enough reliability. i thought it was worth trying, but it's proving otherwise. great.

Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    It seems like you're a natural-born tinkerer, then. Good luck and carry on! I didn't mean to come across as a downer; I just lay it out straight.

I remember messing with a Pre 3 prototype one of the HP VPs was carrying around at the Dev shindig HP had in San Francisco in Feb '11, and it was a really solid phone. It's just unfortunate that it got killed before HP could put its support behind it anywhere other than the EU; it was far more solid than the Pre 2 I got a month later, even. I didn't care much for the Veer.

One thing to note, however. The EU won't support US versions of the Pre 3, so if you ever have a hardware failure, you're going to be stuck as they won't accept it for repair, even if you're willing to send it across the pond. I imagine it's a corporate liability thing, plus they likely don't have some of the specialized parts the regional versions require.

And NDrive (the only nav system with offline maps) just discontinued its support for webOS, so you'll want to look into NavIt or the newest version of Google Maps in homebrew as a replacement navigation system.
    I am not sure how to help, as I am on Verizon, I have a PrePlus (my daily driver), Pre2, and Pre3. I did not Franken any of them, but I have never heard someone with so many issues. I think you have a lemon of a Pre2, or your comm board is messed up. The Bluetooth stack is different in webOS 2.2.4 vs webOS 2.1.0, maybe there is a compatible issue with your Bluetooth device? The only issue I can share is if the PrePlus/Pre2 is not near a good tower, the performance, and battery will suffer.

The Pre3 is not activated, but under WiFi it has no issue streaming anything, I have yet to see any issues (although mine is a Verizon version).

Not sure if you can get another Pre2 to test with I hear they are $75 still.
    I certainly don't have any problems with the battery lasting all day on my Pre3, but then I probably don't use it as heavily as you do. I have a Touchstone in the car which I use almost any time I'm in the car for more than 5 minutes (not just because it's a charger, it's just a convenient place to put the phone for in-car use). I also have one on my desk at home. But even on a day when I'm at a customer site all day with no charging, the battery lasts fine. If you don't have a couple of Touchstones, get them! They're cheap!

If you think something may be amiss with your phone causing it to chew battery, then just Doctor it with 2.2.4.

You've made several comments implying that you're not happy with Straight Talk, and think that switching to AT&T if/when the price comes down will make some sort of difference to your battery usage or some other aspect of your phone. Straight Talk is just selling you AT&T service, so you're really already on AT&T... there's nothing to switch to except a higher bill. Red Pocket is also just selling AT&T service, so there's no difference there either. The only advantage to getting service from AT&T directly is that you also get the benefit of their roaming agreements for coverage in more rural areas, whereas with StraightTalk or another MVNO you only get service on AT&T's own network.

As to streaming Pandora, it works great on my Pre3, whether I use WiFi or data. I just got a stereo bluetooth headset, so far so good there too.

Your experience with the FrankenPre2 sounds a lot like my experience with my Verizon Pre Plus after I "upgraded" it to webOS 2.1. It just never worked really well after that.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I am not sure how to help, as I am on Verizon, I have a PrePlus (my daily driver), Pre2, and Pre3. I did not Franken any of them, but I have never heard someone with so many issues. I think you have a lemon of a Pre2, or your comm board is messed up. The Bluetooth stack is different in webOS 2.2.4 vs webOS 2.1.0, maybe there is a compatible issue with your Bluetooth device? The only issue I can share is if the PrePlus/Pre2 is not near a good tower, the performance, and battery will suffer.

The Pre3 is not activated, but under WiFi it has no issue streaming anything, I have yet to see any issues (although mine is a Verizon version).

Not sure if you can get another Pre2 to test with I hear they are $75 still.
    yeah, i'm considering doctoring to 2.1.0 now.
    then i read the thread below, dude says 2.1.0 gave him issues. but i don't think 2.0.1 is available in doctor anymore. maybe. i'll check later.

can i just redoctor? or should i do this EPR i've heard of? that's not an app to run in WOQI is it. it's something i gotta do with linux commands isn't it. i have the stuff, i just don't know it well.

i've bought 1 too many pre2s, thanx. i shoulda left well enough alone with the Pre3 but i just thoguht it was too big for my pocket. and there's no spare battery charger on the market. the universal i tried fried a Pre1 batt. so no thanx on those.

i may start from complete scratch. or i may just smash it with a hammer. hehehe i don't know. i should just have a beer and clear my head.

happy 4th of july!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I certainly don't have any problems with the battery lasting all day on my Pre3, but then I probably don't use it as heavily as you do. I have a Touchstone in the car which I use almost any time I'm in the car for more than 5 minutes (not just because it's a charger, it's just a convenient place to put the phone for in-car use). I also have one on my desk at home. But even on a day when I'm at a customer site all day with no charging, the battery lasts fine. If you don't have a couple of Touchstones, get them! They're cheap!

If you think something may be amiss with your phone causing it to chew battery, then just Doctor it with 2.2.4.

You've made several comments implying that you're not happy with Straight Talk, and think that switching to AT&T if/when the price comes down will make some sort of difference to your battery usage or some other aspect of your phone. Straight Talk is just selling you AT&T service, so you're really already on AT&T... there's nothing to switch to except a higher bill. Red Pocket is also just selling AT&T service, so there's no difference there either. The only advantage to getting service from AT&T directly is that you also get the benefit of their roaming agreements for coverage in more rural areas, whereas with StraightTalk or another MVNO you only get service on AT&T's own network.

As to streaming Pandora, it works great on my Pre3, whether I use WiFi or data. I just got a stereo bluetooth headset, so far so good there too.

Your experience with the FrankenPre2 sounds a lot like my experience with my Verizon Pre Plus after I "upgraded" it to webOS 2.1. It just never worked really well after that.
    i have touchstones all over the place. like 5 of 'em. i even dremeled one to fit the Pre3 better. it still does the charging/not charging cycling, plus the back gets very hot on the stone. it stays very cool charging thru the cable only. it makes me doubt the Pre3 should be used with the older Stones. they may be too low volt, or not have the right voltage reg. for the Pre3. we needed that fancy Pre3 dock we saw secret pics of!!

anyway, STalk is "alright", but i'm sorry, my sprint connectivity in ATL has far less interruptions of my streaming Pandora than on STalk. why? because STalk IS NOT just ATT repackaged. the reception experienced demonstrates it. constantly losing connection and having to force reconnect with an app action (change station, etc) is worse than Sprint 3G which auto resumes.

Yeah, yeah i know STalk says no streaming, but that's why i'm testing the carrier for a few months. i don't do video, so if it can't handle my limited use of Pandora it's not the carrier for me. And until VZN and ATT stop gouging for data, i'm not going there either. even the ATT postpaid is just too expensive. i'm ok with 60 on sprint thru my current family plan (my portion) but cell phone svc. for over that is gougery. remember once upon a time when calls were billed to the caller only, not both caller and receiver? so, no. i'm not giving up more than i have to to the telecoms who are working to crush our free speech rights in their EULAs. that's another conversation.

i want my pocket-size Pre, with the better hardware, running on the truly unlimited data network, without paying more than $70 a month. i thought a FrankenPre would allow that. it's proving otherwise. but that maybe only because i haven't got the right setup yet. i'm guessing, and i'm relying on a year of outdated/updated/mixedup/multiple method info.

so it's hard for the noob. i don't do electronics at all. i bought my first soldering iron and test meter a few weeks ago. and #5 Torx!

the Pre3 is very power conservative when idle. off the charger all day, it dropped to 95%. but if i use the phone streaming pandora to BT, it's a vampire on the battery's neck. that's the whole idea of the stereo BT i use; so i can leave the phones on their chargers as much as possible.

so i really want to get this Pre2 working w/o issue on Sprint. at least until HSPA+ comes down in price as LTE moves mainstream. then i can consider using the Pre3 on some other network that doesn't throttle/limit data.

have a good 4th of july,
    tj
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    yeah, i'm considering doctoring to 2.1.0 now.
    then i read the thread below, dude says 2.1.0 gave him issues. but i don't think 2.0.1 is available in doctor anymore. maybe. i'll check later.

can i just redoctor? or should i do this EPR i've heard of? that's not an app to run in WOQI is it. it's something i gotta do with linux commands isn't it. i have the stuff, i just don't know it well.

i've bought 1 too many pre2s, thanx. i shoulda left well enough alone with the Pre3 but i just thoguht it was too big for my pocket. and there's no spare battery charger on the market. the universal i tried fried a Pre1 batt. so no thanx on those.

i may start from complete scratch. or i may just smash it with a hammer. hehehe i don't know. i should just have a beer and clear my head.

happy 4th of july!
    If you google webOS doctor versions, you should get webOS internals wiki on most of the doctors released. Grab 2.0.1, remember to disable system update. But I do not think that will fix your issues. Once you doctor the device it copies a new file system down, no need to EPR (all that does is reverse any patch if one is found) but the doctor will do that.
    i have touchstones all over the place. like 5 of 'em. i even dremeled one to fit the Pre3 better. it still does the charging/not charging cycling, plus the back gets very hot on the stone. it stays very cool charging thru the cable only. it makes me doubt the Pre3 should be used with the older Stones. they may be too low volt, or not have the right voltage reg. for the Pre3.
    Both of my Pre+ touchstones work great with my Pre3 (one I filed to fit the Pre3 for a better hold in the car, the other on my desk I just left as-is), no unusual heating. In fact you're the only one I've seen report any significant problem with the Pre3 and the old touchstones... have you tried your Pre3 on several?

anyway, STalk is "alright", but i'm sorry, my sprint connectivity in ATL has far less interruptions of my streaming Pandora than on STalk. why? because STalk IS NOT just ATT repackaged. the reception experienced demonstrates it. constantly losing connection and having to force reconnect with an app action (change station, etc) is worse than Sprint 3G which auto resumes.
    sorry you're having so much trouble, but Straight Talk really IS just AT&T service. My bet is that AT&T's coverage is just spotty in your area; it may be that you do need roaming in your area for complete coverage.

best of luck, and have a happy 4th.
    thank you for the thorough response!

i really want the Pre2 on Sprint, working reliably like my Pre 1 was, but faster response and with more solid hardware build. is that unobtainable?
    Definitely obtainable. All the sprint frankenpre2's I've worked on for people so far have been flawless with little or no tweaking. It's a shame you're having issues since it seems like you've done things right so far.

See how 2.1.0 runs on the phone. Don't bother with 2.0.1 even if you do find it. It's possible that there is something funky now with your old comm board you used since both the BT and phone problems have that in common. It could also be (hopefully not) a hardware problem with the donor vzw pre2 you bought.

Once its working, your phone should be a reliable daily-driver and not need constant maintenance. Getting through this hurdle though is going to be largely a matter of process-of-elimination.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Both of my Pre+ touchstones work great with my Pre3 (one I filed to fit the Pre3 for a better hold in the car, the other on my desk I just left as-is), no unusual heating. In fact you're the only one I've seen report any significant problem with the Pre3 and the old touchstones... have you tried your Pre3 on several?

best of luck, and have a happy 4th.

just woke up; went out to the Pre3 which has been on a Touchstone idle all night. Govnah running UK default shows battery temp is currently 42*C. That's pretty hot for an idle H+ connection w/minimal email check and google chat logged in.. Current is at 230mA, load avg 8.25

meanwhile, the other two sit cool in AirPl mode like the river rocks they resemble, Pre2 on Stone with UK default shows CPU temp @ 27*C, current -158mA, load avg. .16.

the Pre 1 on a cord only is 22*C, -33mA, Lavg .16,

ok that was 30 mins ago and Pre3 has been active: IMing occasionally, H+ connection no other radios on. The batt. temp is down to 30*C. current, -282 but this number is fluctuating quickly. Lavg 8.6

meanwhile, the Pre1, which i've set to a conservative profile per "Thomsen", the CPU temp is down to 21*C. His tweaks i think were intended for temperature control, and they seem to be doing it. the Pre2, still on a TStone, also in airplane mode with UK default, is at CPU temp 28* now, in comparison.

data for data users. opinions welcome. but i don't like the Pre3 getting that hot so i don't think i'll be using it on a stone anymore. i have a Fosmon phone + 2nd batt table top charger for the Pre with a removable stand. i will reshape it to fit the wider keyboard. it charges through a little dongle on the right. 2 yrs old, it's proven a good little charger to do the phone and 2nd batt. together.

sidenote: it's cool watching the UK jumping this thing from 122.88Mhz to 1.4016Ghz as it responds to just touching the screen.

if i haven't said it lately, WEBOS DEVELOPERS KICK ***. thanx, all.
    Last edited by TJs4thPre; 07/04/2012 at 11:24 AM.
    21C? Where do you use your phone, in the fridge? I thought it was supposed to be hot in atlanta...