Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    My Pre2 stopped giving location information. Hp/Palm support said doctor it back to stock. Did not work.

While fiddling with it I bought a Nokia N9 so I put the pre2 aside. Eventually I remembered that I had bought a warranty for the pre2 from SquareTrade. HP was not going to do anything so I filed a claim with SquareTrade.

Kul! they said send it in. A couple of days later they said that it could not be fixed so they paid me $202.

I thought the Pre2 seemed so solid. Inside was the same shoddy build. I do not think I will try a Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlyall View Post
    My Pre2 stopped giving location information. Hp/Palm support said doctor it back to stock. Did not work.

While fiddling with it I bought a Nokia N9 so I put the pre2 aside. Eventually I remembered that I had bought a warranty for the pre2 from SquareTrade. HP was not going to do anything so I filed a claim with SquareTrade.

Kul! they said send it in. A couple of days later they said that it could not be fixed so they paid me $202.

I thought the Pre2 seemed so solid. Inside was the same shoddy build. I do not think I will try a Pre3.
    Sorry to hear about your problem. This is the reason why I have yet to pull the trigger on a Pre 2 or Pre 3 though I love the platform. Even if it's only a 5% chance, when a device is not actively supported by it's manufacturer, your options are very limited when problems arise.

I don't mind SOME level of problems, but I don't like the idea that after spending good money for something, you have no recourse if it is in fact defective.

It sad, with all of the passion around here, that the support component of owning a piece of electronics is something that passion alone can not fix. HP, are you hearing this? It's too late for them to change course, but if they had gutted it out, they would have been in a better place.

With Google, Microsoft, and Apple all producing hardware and software, there is noting but scraps left for anyone who makes JUST hardware for some other players OS. (Just ask HTC, Motorola, Nokia, and of course now HP)

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problem. This is the reason why I have yet to pull the trigger on a Pre 2 or Pre 3 though I love the platform. Even if it's only a 5% chance, when a device is not actively supported by it's manufacturer, your options are very limited when problems arise.

I don't mind SOME level of problems, but I don't like the idea that after spending good money for something, you have no recourse if it is in fact defective.

It sad, with all of the passion around here, that the support component of owning a piece of electronics is something that passion alone can not fix. HP, are you hearing this? It's too late for them to change course, but if they had gutted it out, they would have been in a better place.

With Google, Microsoft, and Apple all producing hardware and software, there is noting but scraps left for anyone who makes JUST hardware for some other players OS. (Just ask HTC, Motorola, Nokia, and of course now HP)

C
    Well in the OPs case, if he hadn't set the phone aside for a while and contacted HP after the doctor didn't work, it sounds like the phone would have still been under warranty.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Odd story but my pre2 just sorta died too.
    I have a vzw version I bought new from ebay to replace my pre plus a while ago. I eventually moved to android but still carry my pre 2 as a wifi device and my main email device. Over the past week the battery started draining fast. I used a few different batteries with the same result. Then I stopped using it for a few days and all of a sudden I was getting the too many cards error. Strange since I have never seen that error on a vzw pre plus or this pre2. I thought it only occurred on the original pre and the pre3. Regardless the screen got stuck on that error sonic did a battery pull.... The phone boots up now but gets stuck on the hp logo.

I don't want to doctor the phone because it's quite customized with custom icons for websites as Web apps and there are some legacy apps that are no longer available in the app catalog that I will lose. I have not done a save restore since I stopped using it as my mine device. And lastly, frankly I don't have the time to doctor the phone and start all over again for a device that has always been buggy (random reboots, disappearing alarms, constant issues with having to re login to yahoo and Gmail accts) and no longer is getting support either from the community hp or vzw.

Mdsmartphone problem seems similar to the old automatic backup causing phone to freeze. Try turning off backups and see if that helps
    well what do you know. After posting that depressing email, I figured what the heck. I pulled the battery, rebooted again...and the hp logo started glowing and now I'm back up and running.

all I needed to do was complain.

off to save restore land I go...
    My pre 2 got hung on the hp logo after I upgraded OTA (and doctored) to webOS 2.2.4. I downgraded to 2.1.0 and it worked fine!
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
    My pre 2 got hung on the hp logo after I upgraded OTA (and doctored) to webOS 2.2.4. I downgraded to 2.1.0 and it worked fine!
    I had mine working reliably on 2.2.4 and never even knew there might be a problem. It did seem to like a reboot every couple of weeks. Now I have a cheap "new" Pre 3 acquired on eBay my Pre 2, fully updated, with its battery and back removed, is lying in a sealed box in a cool place with lots of silica gel in case it is ever needed. It is a piece of history. Like an old camera, I expect I will fire it up from time to time till it dies or I do.
    I wouldn't worry so much about all the things you have done. My Pre2 and developer 16 gig Touchpad sit out in the open on my dresser... I charged them to 100% a while ago and turned them off, powered them up this week, both sitting at 100%.

Plus Pre2 replacement batteries are plentiful. I need to check on my Veers now that I am talking about it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I wouldn't worry so much about all the things you have done. My Pre2 and developer 16 gig Touchpad sit out in the open on my dresser... I charged them to 100% a while ago and turned them off, powered them up this week, both sitting at 100%.

Plus Pre2 replacement batteries are plentiful. I need to check on my Veers now that I am talking about it.
    Too many devices to fire up in reasonable rotation?

Definitely a first-world problem.

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Veers came w contract for a penny....

Ended up with two extra TP's due to the firesale craziness (cancelled then fullfilled order and not knowing if a billed order would actually ship), sold one at cost.

I bought the wife a Pre2 for her B-Day, then was jealous didn't think Pre3s would come down as low as they did bought me a Pre2, then picked up a Pre3 for slightly more than I paid for the Pre2.

Trust me don't be jealous, it was not a good time for anyone that thinks they are slightly sane.
    RumoredNow likes this.