Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By avatar94
  • 1 Post By boovish
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    I'm looking to get a Pre2 to hack onto Sprint as an upgrade from my original Pre-. Is there a way to visually identify a Pre2 from a Pre Plus so that if I'm buying a used/refurb I'll know I'm not getting ripped off? I've searched around online to try and find part numbers and I can't even locate that. Maybe someone with a Pre2 could just pop out their battery and tell me what the model number is that's printed there.
    Quote Originally Posted by avatar94 View Post
    I'm looking to get a Pre2 to hack onto Sprint as an upgrade from my original Pre-. Is there a way to visually identify a Pre2 from a Pre Plus so that if I'm buying a used/refurb I'll know I'm not getting ripped off? I've searched around online to try and find part numbers and I can't even locate that. Maybe someone with a Pre2 could just pop out their battery and tell me what the model number is that's printed there.
    Pictures are easy to swap, but gorilla glass, flat screen, and no USB door. But if you look at specs 1G on stock palm kernel, hovers at 300MHz when idle, 5MP camera..., other then that they are very difficult to distinguish.
    Also GET A VERIZON VERSION!!! You'll only have to unlock it for Sprint! Its just that simple and you won't have to:
    1. Risk destroying your phone
    2. Waste your time
    3. Risk having problems with data
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Also GET A VERIZON VERSION!!! You'll only have to unlock it for Sprint! Its just that simple and you won't have to:
    1. Risk destroying your phone
    2. Waste your time
    3. Risk having problems with data
    I had already planned to get a Verizon version, but won't I still have to crack open the phone and swap the comm board?
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I had already planned to get a Verizon version, but won't I still have to crack open the phone and swap the comm board?
    Yes, you will still have to do that. Unless Boovish can share his method in detailed steps here in the thread (which I'm guessing involves ESN spoofing), the usual comm board swap and metadoctoring is the only (legal?) method available. It's really not that hard anyway.
    Last edited by sq5; 06/28/2012 at 10:46 AM.
    No you won't. Go to MetroPCS and ask them if they cold unlock it for you
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Hmm, interesting if they'll do that for you. Most of them may unlock it and add the existing ESN to their system rather than change the ESN, which won't necessarily get it accepted by Sprint's system, even though MetroPCS shares the same network.

Have you actually had it done before and then been able activate the phone on Sprint? Maybe they did spoof a Sprint ESN into the phone where you went. If so, which MetroPCS location? It may start becoming very popular. ;p
    There is no "unlocking" of CDMA phones. Sprint and VZW have a database of approved network ESN's when you call or go to Sprint the ESN for a Pre2 will not be in their database, they will not activate. A few folks back in the day claimed Sprint activated a VZW ESN, this was never proven to any extent.

Oh and ESN spoofing is illegal. Metro may activate the phone, but Sprint won't.

As further proof, the pre-production Pre2 for Sprint can be activated on Sprint with just the ESN as it is in the approved database. You can check the front page for a recent article on the device the one publicly known device that is in the wild.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    From Metro's website....

Can I bring any cell phone to MetroPCS for WNP?
    Only MetroPCS phones or phones unlocked with MetroFlashTM will work on the MetroPCS network. You will need to purchase a phone in a MetroPCS store, MetroPCS authorized dealer store or a handset that was unlocked by MetroPCS with MetroFlashTM.
    My guess is they use the term "unlock" but it is actually just setting the phone settings to work on Metro, just as some settings need to be changed when you put a GSM phone on Straight Talk, Red Pocket Mobile or a GSM regional carrier to get full function.

The other possibility is the "unlock" could just be bringing the phone into the store for them to verify ESN before adding to their network. Where as Metro phones may be able to be activated over the phone since the ESN is already validated in their database.

To clarify, there is no unlocking of CDMA phones, the "lock" is on the carrier side.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Hmm, interesting if they'll do that for you. Most of them may unlock it and add the existing ESN to their system rather than change the ESN, which won't necessarily get it accepted by Sprint's system, even though MetroPCS shares the same network.

Have you actually had it done before and then been able activate the phone on Sprint? Maybe they did spoof a Sprint ESN into the phone where you went. If so, which MetroPCS location? It may start becoming very popular. ;p
    I didn't try it but they say to Bring your own cell phone from a different carrier and they will unlock it.
    I didn't try it but they say to Bring your own cell phone from a different carrier and they will unlock it.
    In that case, OldSkoolVW is correct. MetroPCS normally just flashes a phone with new settings to run on their network. Since they use Sprint's network, that doesn't mean it will be *allowed* to run, even if they reflash it. Put simply, the Verizon Pre is not allowed to run on Sprint's network, so short of them spoofing the ESN, which would be illegal, taking it to them won't work.

The hardware swap is the only way still. Otherwise people would be doing your suggestion long ago.
  12.    #12  
    Yeah, that just means they'll make it work on MetroPCS, likely by registering the ESN into their system manually. Like the others have said "unlocked" phones are for GSM carriers... ones that use a SIM card. CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon) have to have the ESN of the phone registered in their system and can't just walk into a Sprint store and ask them to add it in. Which is why, to make a Pre2 work on Sprint, you have to rip out the heart of an active Sprint Pre and transplant it into a "FrankenPre2"

But on my original question, I think I've scrutinized enough photos now to be able to identify the difference with the flat front glass. I've just never actually seen one in person before so web photos made it hard to distinguish. Still can't find an image of the door-less usb connection though.
    Yeah, that just means they'll make it work on MetroPCS, likely by registering the ESN into their system manually. Like the others have said "unlocked" phones are for GSM carriers... ones that use a SIM card. CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon) have to have the ESN of the phone registered in their system and can't just walk into a Sprint store and ask them to add it in. Which is why, to make a Pre2 work on Sprint, you have to rip out the heart of an active Sprint Pre and transplant it into a "FrankenPre2"

But on my original question, I think I've scrutinized enough photos now to be able to identify the difference with the flat front glass. I've just never actually seen one in person before so web photos made it hard to distinguish. Still can't find an image of the door-less usb connection though.
    I wouldn't worry too much, if you know what an Original Pre looks like, you will know when you are looking at a Pre2 they look nothing a like. Okay not nothing alike, but the feel and look in person vs a Pre is obvious in my mind.
    Still can't find an image of the door-less usb connection though.

Found on Google Images...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Pre and Pre+ have a covered USB port on the right side and a chrome front speaker grill above the screen.
    Pre2 has a bare USB port and a black speaker grill above the very flat screen.