1.    #1  
    Hello,

New to the forums, but have been reading the webOS Nation (Pre Central) stuff for years. I have had a Pre+ on Verizon for a little over 2 years. My screen cracked on my Pre+, so I just received a new Pre2 from Verizon. I used to use Mark Space Missing Sync to sync my Apple iCal, Contacts, etc. to my Pre+. I see that the Missing Sync is not supposed to work for the Pre 2.

Is there an efficient way to sync iCal and my other Mac stuff with my Pre2, or should I break down and get an iPhone (still in my 14-day trial window)? Thanks for your help.

Brad.
    You got to look at this from economic standpoint too. Do not use your contract to buy cheep phones. You are waisting your credit with a carrier. Buy the most expensive phone you can afford. You can always sell it later for profit. Buy cheep phones on eBay. I got my pre 2 for under 100$, and got me HTC 1X on contact for 200. As for syncing with iCal, why don't you just use Google Cal. It will sync with iCal and your Pre, as well as with iPhone, android, windows phone and blackberry.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    You got to look at this from economic standpoint too. Do not use your contract to buy cheep phones. You are waisting your credit with a carrier. Buy the most expensive phone you can afford. You can always sell it later for profit. Buy cheep phones on eBay. I got my pre 2 for under 100$, and got me HTC 1X on contact for 200. As for syncing with iCal, why don't you just use Google Cal. It will sync with iCal and your Pre, as well as with iPhone, android, windows phone and blackberry.
    Thanks for your input, Darkoman.

With my Verizon credit, my new Palm Pre 2 was only $100. I know I can sync everything through google/gmail, but there is something about that which makes me uncomfortable, rightly or wrongly. Anyone know of a way that I can sync iCal and other data either with wires or jut on my WiFi at home between my Mac and Palm Pre 2 (my new Touch Pad, also?) Thanks, much.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trfcrx7 View Post
    Thanks for your input, Darkoman.

With my Verizon credit, my new Palm Pre 2 was only $100. I know I can sync everything through google/gmail, but there is something about that which makes me uncomfortable, rightly or wrongly. Anyone know of a way that I can sync iCal and other data either with wires or jut on my WiFi at home between my Mac and Palm Pre 2 (my new Touch Pad, also?) Thanks, much.
    I apologize for being unhelpful, but, you know, that's really not how webOS is designed to work. The whole point of a webOS device is to aggregate your data from the web, not to sync with your computer.

Maybe you could cobble together a workaround by setting up your own webserver at home? I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start with that, but you're probably looking at a lot of work and you'd likely have to license some enterprise software.

The easiest thing would probably be to just get an iPhone and sync with iTunes. (Although Apple is beginning to go down the cloud path, too.)

Let us know if you find a solution!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
    I apologize for being unhelpful, but, you know, that's really not how webOS is designed to work. The whole point of a webOS device is to aggregate your data from the web, not to sync with your computer.

Maybe you could cobble together a workaround by setting up your own webserver at home? I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start with that, but you're probably looking at a lot of work and you'd likely have to license some enterprise software.

The easiest thing would probably be to just get an iPhone and sync with iTunes. (Although Apple is beginning to go down the cloud path, too.)

Let us know if you find a solution!

Thank you, jlamb0!

Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way. Basically, I like having a mobile phone with email, and to be able to have the contacts and calendar sync with my computer at home. My wife puts the family schedule in the iCal feature on our Macbook Pro, and when I go home, I can sync with my wireless network, and then I have the calender and contacts in my phone when I'm out and about, so I know what our family schedule is and how to get ahold of everyone. That may be underutilizing the power of a smartphone, but that's about all I need (or think I need). If I have to do that with a Cloud or through some outside account, so be it. I just was trying to accomplish my goal while staying "in house."

Thanks for your help, and if anyone else has other ideas on an easy way to accomplish my goals, please share! Thanks, much.

Brad.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trfcrx7 View Post
    Thank you, jlamb0!

Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way. Basically, I like having a mobile phone with email, and to be able to have the contacts and calendar sync with my computer at home. My wife puts the family schedule in the iCal feature on our Macbook Pro, and when I go home, I can sync with my wireless network, and then I have the calender and contacts in my phone when I'm out and about, so I know what our family schedule is and how to get ahold of everyone. That may be underutilizing the power of a smartphone, but that's about all I need (or think I need). If I have to do that with a Cloud or through some outside account, so be it. I just was trying to accomplish my goal while staying "in house."

Thanks for your help, and if anyone else has other ideas on an easy way to accomplish my goals, please share! Thanks, much.

Brad.
    I understand you're hesitation at giving up personal information to a third party web service.

Still, you might look into Google or Microsoft's offerings. Either will do exactly what you want, and even go one further. Syncing with Google or Windows Live will make updating your calendars and contacts almost instantaneous. You can even sync them with your wife's iCal, so she doesn't have to learn anything new.

And then you don't have to take your Pre back.

Anyway, go take a look and see if they'll work for you.

(And again, sorry. I know it's not the solution you're really looking for.)