1.    #1  
    I purchased a Sprint Pre and previously Franken'd GSM Pre2 from another guy here on the Marketplace forum. (He had re-doctored them back to original state.)

So, a week ago I got the Pre activated on my Sprint account and tonight I got to the FrankenPre process. The comm board swap went fine, as far as I can tell. Following the instructions at webos-internals, I put the Franken'd Pre into recovery mode, built the meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0, and started the upgrade process, but it failed somewhere before 20% complete (at the point where the ROM icon is still on the screen).

I'm putting the log statements below, but having not done this before, I am not quite sure how to interpret the errors. (I'm a software developer, so the Java logs don't bother me, per se, but I don't know exactly how this process is supposed to go with what metadoctor is doing.)

First question is verifying that I really am working with a GSM unlocked Pre2. The box it came in says, "HP Palm Pre 2, NA-UMTS UNLOCKED". That's a GSM unlocked Pre2, right? So the meta-doctor I built above is the right one, right?

Any suggestions on what to try next are appreciated. If I "start over", what is the best way to do that at this point?

OK, here are the log errors....

INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

<ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed
    Jun 18, 2012 10:35:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

Broken pipe
    Jun 18, 2012 10:35:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat:

Jun 18, 2012 10:35:57 PM com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream handleSocketException
    WARNING: SocketException Cmd: file:///sbin/trenchcoat
    Jun 18, 2012 10:35:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe from file:///sbin/trenchcoat, return code: 1
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:124)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketWriter.write(PacketWriter.java:30)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.write(NovacomSocketStream.java:169)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:21)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:69)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:104)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:414)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Jun 18, 2012 10:35:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1340073357471
    from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.lck
    to /tmp/palmInstallerError0.log
    from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0
    to /tmp/palmInstallerError1.log
    Jun 18, 2012 10:35:59 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Jun 18, 2012 10:35:59 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe from file:///sbin/trenchcoat, return code: 1
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:124)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketWriter.write(PacketWriter.java:30)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.write(NovacomSocketStream.java:169)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:21)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:69)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:104)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:414)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Jun 18, 2012 10:36:00 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Jun 18, 2012 10:36:00 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Jun 18, 2012 10:36:00 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Jun 18, 2012 10:36:00 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card
  2.    #2  
    Forgot to mention....I built the meta-doctor and am running it in Kubuntu 11.10.
  3.    #3  
    Not sure what caused the problem the first time, but running the built metadoctor again completed this time. I've logged in to my WebOS profile and it is restoring my backed up data!
  4.    #4  
    OK, so the profile info was restored and it seems to be OK, but when I look in device info it says the carrier is "ROW"? On the Pre it said Sprint, but is this what it should say for a Sprint FrankenPre 2?
  5.    #5  
    For those that may go down this path....shortly after successfully completing the metadoctor on the FrankenPre 2 to 2.1.0 and restoring the profile info, I checked for updates and saw the OTA update to 2.2.4, so I went ahead and downloaded and installed that.

That completed without error, but then I started getting the dreaded "too many cards" error that a lot of people get with 2.2.4 on Pre 2 and Pre 3. So, based on advice here in the forum I installed Preware and got Uberkernal and govnah installed and everything has been fine since.

I did lose the Sprint apps that had been on the Pre with 1.4.5, but I guess there is a way to get those back if I decide I need them again. But after a day now running 2.2.4 on the GSM unlocked FrankenPre 2 on Sprint....I'm happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    For those that may go down this path....shortly after successfully completing the metadoctor on the FrankenPre 2 to 2.1.0 and restoring the profile info, I checked for updates and saw the OTA update to 2.2.4, so I went ahead and downloaded and installed that.

That completed without error, but then I started getting the dreaded "too many cards" error that a lot of people get with 2.2.4 on Pre 2 and Pre 3. So, based on advice here in the forum I installed Preware and got Uberkernal and govnah installed and everything has been fine since.

I did lose the Sprint apps that had been on the Pre with 1.4.5, but I guess there is a way to get those back if I decide I need them again. But after a day now running 2.2.4 on the GSM unlocked FrankenPre 2 on Sprint....I'm happy!
    Great job! Looks like you ended up where you're supposed to! Don't sweat the "ROW" in the carrier field, that's a normal side effect of the metadoctor process for that phone. It's just cosmetic and doesn't affect anything anyway. Also, as you said, you can always install any of the Sprint apps individually if you decide you want them. Just search search the forum for where people have made them available to download and install each one using webOS Quick Install.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Great job! Looks like you ended up where you're supposed to! Don't sweat the "ROW" in the carrier field, that's a normal side effect of the metadoctor process for that phone. It's just cosmetic and doesn't affect anything anyway. Also, as you said, you can always install any of the Sprint apps individually if you decide you want them. Just search search the forum for where people have made them available to download and install each one using webOS Quick Install.
    Yeah, after a day now I was not too worried about the ROW in the carrier field as Sprint.com still shows my account as having an activated Pre and the online view of my WebOS profile shows both my Touchpad and the Pre2 running 2.2.4.
  8.    #8  
    As others have said....the Pre 2 is sooooooo much better than the original Sprint Pre. Really liking this phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    As others have said....the Pre 2 is sooooooo much better than the original Sprint Pre. Really liking this phone!
    Yeah, pre2 is pretty smooth, I have an extra sitting there just in case, but looks like I won't need it any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah, pre2 is pretty smooth, I have an extra sitting there just in case, but looks like I won't need it any time soon.
    i don't get it. i wanted to feel this same way.

i've spent a couple hundred hours on this dang Pre2 and now it's saying it won't send a text. and i have a sim card acct. listed on a phone that has no sim!

my pre1 overclocked is making this Pre2 look like toy phone filled with candy.

but, i'm glad someone has been able to do it. i'll be spiraling into depression for the rest of today. (yes, i'm ill. so stupid little things like being able to complete this mean a lot to me)

i'm trying to give up for today. there's just not enough clear info, cluttered among the years of obsolete info, to figure this out. i'm most likely going to sell all this crap and one more thing i really like will slip through my hand for reasons beyond my control. but i can't help but think about it. i have NO PHONE now. my pre1 is garbage. i'm not opening these thinggs up again. my Pre2 is not working, and my Pre3 is just a dog and a battery vacuum. great. i gotta get an android??? really??
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    i don't get it. i wanted to feel this same way.

i've spent a couple hundred hours on this dang Pre2 and now it's saying it won't send a text. and i have a sim card acct. listed on a phone that has no sim!

my pre1 overclocked is making this Pre2 look like toy phone filled with candy.

but, i'm glad someone has been able to do it. i'll be spiraling into depression for the rest of today. (yes, i'm ill. so stupid little things like being able to complete this mean a lot to me)

i'm trying to give up for today. there's just not enough clear info, cluttered among the years of obsolete info, to figure this out. i'm most likely going to sell all this crap and one more thing i really like will slip through my hand for reasons beyond my control. but i can't help but think about it. i have NO PHONE now. my pre1 is garbage. i'm not opening these thinggs up again. my Pre2 is not working, and my Pre3 is just a dog and a battery vacuum. great. i gotta get an android??? really??
    ok, i'm going to try woqi to put preware on and remove the acct.

but i know there must be more to repair and i dont know what else. i have to get this done before i have to go back to work. it's gotta happen now.

BETTER YET, I JUST REDOCTORED 'EM BOTH. START FROM SCRATCH. hopefully it will boot up smoother this time, for each of them.
    Last edited by TJs4thPre; 06/23/2012 at 04:53 PM.