1.    #1  
    Ok, we all know the dozens of small bugs and glitches webOS has, but keep using it. Like I do. But I am coming to a point now where it seems to be time to move on:

I just received a text message from a friend. It was very confusing, because obviously text got mixed up. The text she send me was enveloped in text from a different person that she send to me MONTHS ago. So... the text started with friend 1's old message, right in the middle the new message from friend 2 started, and it ended with the rest of friend 1's message.

This scares the **** out of me. Image this happens when sending... like... you are texting your boss that you are late today because of the traffic, and in the middle of it some text gets pasted that you send your girlfriend in some other situation. Or whatever text nightmare you can imagine.

Did anything like this ever happen to anyone out there? I stop using text now and am seriously considering to move to something else, simply because this can run you into so many problems. This is not the everage "I am leaving" post, I guess you people can understand me that this could have turned into a serious problem.

Doctoring may help, I know, but for how long? Oh dear webOS, do you really need a drama when we get divorced?
    never happened to me on pre preplus veer pre2. do some googling to see if it happened to anyone on android or apple
    Not on any of my WebOS phones. A similar thing happened on my Evo 4G Android once. An incoming text got combined with an outgoing text when I hit "Send" apparently simultaneously with the incoming text coming in. The recipient of my text and sender of the text to me both received both text messages. Confused both of them! But anyone texting with me is probably often confused anyway.

I look at it as a one-time-only glitch more than a problem with an OS. There are a lot of 1s and 0s being sent out there!

Will be interesting to see if I'm wrong.
    I thought that was an issue with android and not webOS.

Was the garbled text you saw from an android user?

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17769

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...-together.html
    Last edited by sinime; 06/15/2012 at 09:49 AM.
    As far as I know, all texting is handled by the carrier, and webos simply parses the text from your carrier and shows it on your device.

I would contact your carrier about this, it sounds like a carrier specific issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Ok, we all know the dozens of small bugs and glitches webOS has, but keep using it. Like I do. But I am coming to a point now where it seems to be time to move on:

I just received a text message from a friend. It was very confusing, because obviously text got mixed up. The text she send me was enveloped in text from a different person that she send to me MONTHS ago. So... the text started with friend 1's old message, right in the middle the new message from friend 2 started, and it ended with the rest of friend 1's message.

This scares the **** out of me. Image this happens when sending... like... you are texting your boss that you are late today because of the traffic, and in the middle of it some text gets pasted that you send your girlfriend in some other situation. Or whatever text nightmare you can imagine.

Did anything like this ever happen to anyone out there? I stop using text now and am seriously considering to move to something else, simply because this can run you into so many problems. This is not the everage "I am leaving" post, I guess you people can understand me that this could have turned into a serious problem.

Doctoring may help, I know, but for how long? Oh dear webOS, do you really need a drama when we get divorced?
    Scary stuff I have an ex girlfriend texting me on Do Not Answer all the time while my girlfriend texts me alot also.....would be bummed if the two fields merged I would be a dead man walking

I believe this to be a carrier issue also.....hope your not on sprint for my sake

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have this on my Pre3 and from the research I've done it's a carrier issue. Something to do with there only being 256 SMS IDs available using some systems. Once your carrier account reaches 257 for one contact you can effectively have 2 messages with the same ID, causing overlap problems.

This is only an issue if you send lots of messages to the same person within a couple of weeks (or however long it takes for the carrier to purge the old messages from their system). I bet, like me, you only see this issue with messages from people you text a LOT?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)

i'm sorry for the inconvenience with the enquire ...... i'm trying to change my profile info name/ e-add..etc...i went into backup..preferences...palm profile and changed everything i needed ...but now i dont know how to save the changes when i exit ...it just go back to what i entered when i just got my phone ...hellp Pleeeeeaaasee
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    This is only an issue if you send lots of messages to the same person within a couple of weeks (or however long it takes for the carrier to purge the old messages from their system). I bet, like me, you only see this issue with messages from people you text a LOT?
    Well, the problem indeed exists with the person I text quite often. The one that got mixed into it is however just a contact I use to text now and then. So this somehow points into the direction you provided here. I will try to google on this and see whether it is a known problem here in Germany as well.

I didn't know carriers do save messages at all.

Did this happen to you on outgoing messages as well?

Oh, for the question if the other person is using Android: The person I text a lot IS using android, and the one that got mixed in is on iOS.

Would be cool if it is my carrier and not the holy grail webOS. Dear Pre2, I love you a bit again now.
    I didn't know carriers do save messages at all.
    Back in the very early days of SMS not all did to my knowledge. I know certain phones I had wouldn't receive SMS if turned off when the SMS came through (this was back when lots of folks didn't have SMS though). The carrier has to have a way of holding them on network for some time if your phone is off, out of service area, or in airplane mode to ensure receipt of messages.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hi

I had the same issue on my Pre3.

Between this problem and messages (SMS and Skype) taking random amounts of time (anything from instantaneous to WEEKS) to get through, I had to stop using the Pre3 (Verizon). Skype messaging is an important part of my buisness communications - Pre3 could not hack it.

In my case, it is not a carrier issues - I'm back on my Veruizon Pre2... no messaging problems. Miss the Pre3 H/Ware, but there seem to be no fixes coming out for it, etc.

russ