Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm sorry, folks, but all this talk about how easy it is to do this is just WRONG.

i have been working on this phone since 4pm friday, and it's now noon sunday. all day, all nite, using two computers, one to work and one to read instructions.

it's totally unclear what the difference is between a verizon franken sprint pre and a sprint verizon franken pre and a verizon franken pre and etc etc.

i have got the phone working on sprint, but no data, and i can't turn off the backup because it keeps saying i have no data connection even though i have wifi connected.

I AM SO UNHAPPY I REALLY WANT TO KILL MYSELF. REALLY. (i'm suicidal, but that's another matter) but i really wanted to get this pre2 to work to replace my pre1, and i bought one trusting that all this advice here would help, and it's simply impossible. someone, please hunt me down and kill me and shove this phone in my mouth for the irony.

it's a verizon pre2. it was already on sprint. it said sprint. but it says verizon on the carrier. i cant get data. every time i reset it all goes back to how it was. i can't turn off the backup without data. i can't have data without activating. it's a joke. please kill me. no one will know or care.

i just wanted another webos phone. i tried and tried and said i wouldn't quit. but it's been since friday afternoon! i haven't slept ate, nothing, just read online and kept trying with quick installers, and impostahs and everything else people say to do. i'm not an incompetent person, either. this process is just not explained very well at all.

i have tried and tried and tried. if i had a gun right now, i'd so love to shoot myself over how frustrating this is; how i kept working, swearing i wouldn't quit til i got it, but no, you broke me.

you win. your franken pre is just too elite for me.

i'm going to go hurt myself for a while. sounds pathetic huh? well like i said, i've got suicidal tendencies, and this is just as good an irritant as anything else when you're life isn't worth anything, and the biggest thing to happen to you in weeks is the hope that you could get a new phone with the webos on it for a decent price, switched onto my carrier.

i'm a fool. i dont know what else to say or do. i give up and just had to vent. it really sucks the instructions couldn't be a little clearer by now.
    so you took the comm-board out of your currently activated sprint pre- and put into a verizon pre2?
    Yeah, what he/she said ^ You do know you cannot activate a Sprint comm board and account INSIDE a Frankenpre2, right? The steps are thus:
    1) Activate account on regular old Sprint Pre.
    2) Perform Frankenpre surgery
    3) Metadoctor Frankenpre with webOS custom metadoctor. If you don't have one, I can PM one to you.
    4) Sign in to your webOS Palm Profile in your new Frankenpre2.

To repeat... YOU CANNOT ACTIVATE A SPRINT ACCOUNT IN A FRANKENPRE2. The comm board from the Sprint # MUST BE ACTIVATED INSIDE A SPRINT PRE PRIOR TO INSTALLATION IN THE PRE2, THEN METADOCTORED before you will have data available and are able to sign in to your Palm Profile.
    But you read that in the instructions, right?
    Why don't you post your town and see if someone in your town can help you do it? The other thing is that someone on the forums used to help people for a nominal fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Why don't you post your town and see if someone in your town can help you do it? The other thing is that someone on the forums used to help people for a nominal fee.
    I will do it for free
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  6.    #6  
    FOREWORD:

well, i guess i learned a lesson about the state of today's scared nation. apparently online comments can get you put away against your will, as the night i posted this comment, the cops showed up at the door, and i spent 48 hrs in a local mental institution. I'M SO NOT JOKING. i wish i was, as now i am stressing about the bills that will be rolling in to try to charge me for their "services", which was to hold me against my will with a bunch of really scary and ill people, and draw in coloring books for 48 hrs; for losing my temper from over exhaustion. i certainly did not sign anything, including for the ambulance ride, which will cost $1200 itself. (stay out of ambulances!)

but that did give me time to simmer down, and i've learned that in some states like GA, simply suggesting you may hurt yourself is enough for cops to declare you "10-13" and take your freedom away even if you're no longer, or ever were an imminent threat.

SO, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU POST ONLINE. it's gone way beyond yelling 'fire' in a theatre or 'bomb' on a plane. to me, it's remarkably unamerican, considering suicide has been decriminalized since the 90s. (except assisted)

meanwhile, i still have two inactive phones. fortunately, i have my unlocked ATT PRE3 running well on StraightTalk with H+, but i didn't port my # so unless someone actually listens to my VM with the new number recorded, they can't reach me.

SOOOOOO---- now that i'm calm and have slept and eaten a few times, i'm taking another try - all offers of assistance are really, REALLY appreciated. thanks for the support. HERE'S my info again:

BACKGROUND INFO:

i bought a USED Verizon Pre2 which was ALREADY franken'd successfully by its owner.

What appears to be my problem, and sounds like you're confirming, is that when the owner transferred her number out, its Sprint comm board became useless in that [Verizon] phone again??

my own Sprint Pre 1 hardware has not been involved at all, because last year i dropped it in a pool. it seemed the battery was the only casualty, but i don't trust the comm board since it took a bath so using it for a Franken procedure seemed unwise.

ALMOST HAD IT:

at one point i had the Pre2 active on Sprint, - yes, Sprint transferred my Pre1 number to the Pre2 and I was making/rec'vng calls, but without a WEBOS account. I think it worked because i had the "DrSkippedFirst" account on it from Devmode.

BUT - NO DATA. NO EV, NO 1X, so i couldn't do a lot w/o the DATA connection going. wifi worked, but that's NOT the same. Example, can't turn off the BACKUP w/o DATA connection. and couldn't create or login to a WEBOS account. i was trying to find a way to set the settings to match my original Pre, but that's when the Impostah got too confusing and i gave up.

So right now, both Pre and Pre2 are at the original reset screen. The Pre1 asking me to login or create a palm profile. The Pre2 is displaying "Activation Error" and giving me the HEX ID.

WHERE TO FROM HERE:

it seems my choices are:

1. transfer my Sprint # back to the Pre1, reactivate that phone, and then transfer ITS comm board to the Pre2, replacing the one that came with it.....

OR

2. remove the comm board from the Pre2, SWAP it into my Pre1, THEN have Sprint transfer my # back and reactivate, and THEN put it BACK into the Pre2 and continue conversion.

i bought the already franken'd phone specifically to get another commboard with it, already installed. i did not know i'd have issue porting to it once she ported out.

so unless someone has been successful with settings changes only, i may have to pull and swap 2x. WHICH WOULD REQUIRE I FIRST GO BUY THE 5mmTORX, which should indicate to you i don't normally do micro electronics work and didn't want to attempt it myself)

(sorry for the essay here, but you're helping me think aloud to plan what to do- thank you if you're keeping up with this)

i'm going to start reading again, and see what else others have posted, since so much of this info is 6 mos old or more. i know, i have a Pre3, but StraightTalk isn't what I want since I stream Pandora in the car and i'm concerned about their policies. ATT is just too expensive. i'd like to have the Pre2 working on Sprint.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO:

A. reactivate my Pre1 and pretend it was all a dream
    B. just use the Pre3, using the new number and starting from scratch to repopulate my contacts
    C. send the Pre2 back on fleabay and get a refund (already generously offered by seller who claims cluelessness)
    D. reactivate my Pre1, then swap its board to the Pre2. Gamble on the comm board that took a swim
    E. pull the Pre2's board out, put into Pre1, activate, then swap back into Pre2
    F. some other thing I haven't thought of
    G. Go buy an Android like the rest of the lemmings

AGAIN, MY APOLOGIES FOR FLIPPING OUT. i really was over the edge. my grandmother was in the hospice last week and i really wanted to be able to receive calls from home, which is why i was working so hard on it once i ported my number over to it. (she passed while i was in the mental hospital; they handed me a note that just said "Pt's grandmother died today", how sympathetic!)

and AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR OFFERS TO ASSIST HERE. DOUBLE THANKS TO MATTEEBEE FOR SUCH A GENEROUS OFFER TO HELP. i may PM you to follow up on that.

EPILOGUE
    The kicker is, i'm in Atlanta. There's a huge HP office here and a huge ATT office here. You'd think that SOMEONE at one of these places would be a WebOS fan and I could find someone local to help.

But i also have the advantage of now having an active Pre3 so i'm not "incommunicado". and the Verizon Pre2 is in great condition for a good price, considering i've got the comm board in it too. So i could try the procedure myself, knowing it's not critical to get back online as fast as possible.

ok, unfortunately that's as much as i can think about my webOS issue for today. if i keep trying to work on it tonight, i'll start obsessing and stay up too late combing the info. i have to learn to leave some things incomplete and it's ok.

oh, "p.s.", i'm on my 9th Pre. 7 Pre1s, this Pre2, and my new Pre3. is this the root of my problem? i'm a webOS addict? sometimes i daydream what it would be like if HP didn't abandon us. I'm CERTAIN now that the Iphone4/siri hype has died, and Android has made open source "acceptable" i'd bet $ we'd have surpassed win-doze and crackberry by now; especially after a few evolutions of the touchpad synergy and STILL CUTTING EDGE TECH of the induction charging. jeez. stupid, stupid HP execs.

thanks everyone, have a good week -
    Tj
    First of all a warning I am on Verizon, not sprint, so what do I know?

There was a leaked webOS 2.0.1 Doctor for Sprint google it once found inside this jar is the carrier files for webOS 2.x now.

Once the above step is done the provisioning software needs to be installed then a few phone preferences need to be change like showUpdatePRL showUpdateNetworkSettings allowClearVoicemailCount need to be set to true, now in phone app you should be able to provision from the Pre2, this is all theory, and I assume one should use either webOS 2.0.1 or 2.1.0, as the phone app in webOS 2.2.4 is Enyo and not sure if the provisioning software would work.

Now I have tested this in theory, the app installs, the tabs do show up in the phone prefs but as I am on Verizon I can't test Sprint.

Disclaimer I do not own the rights to the leaked doctor, although it is available (google it), but as HP/Palm have not released it I can not inform you of the name of the doctor or supply a link to it (but there is even a thread on it in these forums).

If you want further help pm me.
    I would choose "E"
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Just have someone else do it for you. They will have it done in 40 minutes tops and you could use that extra time to get yourself out of any other messes you are in.

Someone on this forum already generously offered to help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Just have someone else do it for you. They will have it done in 40 minutes tops and you could use that extra time to get yourself out of any other messes you are in.

Someone on this forum already generously offered to help you.
    Agreed- let someone else help if they are still able. Otherwise go with option E from your list as suggested and that should do the trick. Whatever you do though, DON'T PANIC.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I would choose "E"
    i'm going to re-read the steps for choice E.

if i think i can start from scratch and pull it off myself, i may try it. but after reading it, if it requires a lot of post-tweaking, then yes, i will reach out for help from someone experienced.

i'm sorry i happen to be in a place right now where i feel like my whole life is a tornado, and my Pre1 was something i'd been able to rely on for a long time as my 2nd brain and only connection to the rest of the world. but i got greedy. i read about frankenpre's and pre3's on ATT mvno's, but wanted to stay on my 14 yr tenured sprint account. so i took a risk, started buying stuff on fleabay, and i guess i got in over my head with it all.

i appreciate those offering help, and thank you very much; i will try to follow up and maybe we can get some stuff fixed up right.

and i'm sorry to those who thought i was going on n' on about irrelevancy. but it's not the first time you wasted 5 mins on the web now is it.

Tj
    I can totally appreciate wanting to keep the tenured Sprint account. That's one of the biggest draws to the frankenpre2 for most people, and everyone agrees it's well worth it in the end.

We'll all be happy to help you through if you're doing it yourself. That's how we roll here.

For starters though, with the hardware steps, just follow the pictures and take your time. It's kind of like assembling a piece IKEA furniture if you've ever done that... You'll find that although it seems daunting and tedious the first time, once you've done it once or twice, it starts to make sense and you can practically do the same steps again with your eyes closed and no instructions next time.

Btw, before you open up the pre2, go into the Device Info app , scroll down, and write down the MEID of the comm board. That's what you'll need to give sprint for activating, NOT the number on the sticker underneath the battery.

Once you get the hardware part done ("option E": comm board from pre2 into pre- / activate pre- / comm board from pre- back into pre2), you're in the home stretch. The software part isn't so bad.
    Last edited by sq5; 06/12/2012 at 10:43 PM.
    If you need some help with the software part, hit me up with a pm
    Really, the best thing I ever did was to find someone else to do it for me. I read a magazine and by the time I finished the article, I had my pre2 sprinted up. I think there is one or two places where you have to be careful not to break something, so I wanted an experienced person as I too, could not do without my Pre2.

Just sayin'
  15.    #15  
    thanks. thanks just for the support -

let alone any help you've generously offered which I have not had a chance to accept yet; simply because i'm dealing with a bunch of ridiculously unnecessary and completely frustrating b.s. already.

so, i have to be patient before getting back into the Pre issues as i'd like to devote my full attention with some patience to spare. i think if i can get the thing going, it'd be something to be proud of, and i could use a positive accomplishment right about now.

i'll update the thread when i'm ready to start getting into it; and we'll see if i'm going to buy that #5 Torx.

otherwise, if i were to send the Pre2 to someone offering to help, would they need the Pre1 as well? Would they need info from my Sprint acct? Or can the Pre2 be "prepared for me" to just sign into my Palm acct?
    they need the pre1 and have it currently working on sprint and also the pre2.. they will give you back the pre2 and it will work on sprint. they will give you back tne pre1 and it will have the pre2 board in it so it will be a vzw pre1.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    thanks. thanks just for the support -

let alone any help you've generously offered which I have not had a chance to accept yet; simply because i'm dealing with a bunch of ridiculously unnecessary and completely frustrating b.s. already.

so, i have to be patient before getting back into the Pre issues as i'd like to devote my full attention with some patience to spare. i think if i can get the thing going, it'd be something to be proud of, and i could use a positive accomplishment right about now.
    No rush, we'll be around.

i'll update the thread when i'm ready to start getting into it;
    When you update the thread later, some of us might miss it. If so in my case, just shoot me a PM so I'll know to come check it out.

and we'll see if i'm going to buy that #5 Torx.
    I think radio shack still sells little portable screwdriver kits fairly cheap <$15 that come with different size Torx bits among the accessories. Its one of those things that's always handy to have.

otherwise, if i were to send the Pre2 to someone offering to help, would they need the Pre1 as well? Would they need info from my Sprint acct? Or can the Pre2 be "prepared for me" to just sign into my Palm acct?
    Both the Pre1 and Pre2 would be needed, as well as at least the info to log into your online sprint account.
  18.    #18  
    i've been working on these phones since 9am and it's 5am now. yes i took 6 hr nap in there, but still...

the end result is, I had to get Sprint to help me reactivate my original Pre1 (online reactivate wanted to tack on that $10 upcharge). So my Pre1 is completely restored like never changed.

the Pre2 I doctored back to VZN but there's still some settings showing the Sprint tweaks I made, like the PRL is still Sprint and didn't revert. the NAI address is still sprintpcs.com

But anyway, i have an active sprint comm board, and a VZN Pre2. I should be able to follow Rod's step-by-step from the beginning now, which apparently is the only way to do this.

tried = failed:
    4 different doctors, ubuntu git- whatever, webosquickinstaller, a zillion imposter setting changes, and one time i thought i had it, i called sprint to activate and their computers were down! hah! that's when i went to buy the torx.

so i'm just confused over which doctor to run after. Remember, this is Sprint board into VZN Pre2 to keep working on Sprint with same Sprint number.

i'm also confused if i should activate the 2nd Sprint board (by putting it into the pre1) that came in the VZN.

the one i spent days and days trying to activate within the Pre2. i had phone calls in and out, and wifi, just no EVDO or anything lower. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO THIS, I'D LOVE TO HEAR WHAT I MISSED. i swear i was close, but it may be what was the "impossible" part of my problem.

ok, i'm getting to it tomorrow after work. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S ASSISTANCE! i am going to get it done!
    sledge007 likes this.
    So my Pre1 is completely restored like never changed.
    Great, that's exactly what you want, and a huge step forward.

the Pre2 I doctored back to VZN but there's still some settings showing the Sprint tweaks I made, like the PRL is still Sprint and didn't revert. the NAI address is still sprintpcs.com
    That's not a problem, and it makes sense since that Pre2 still has that other Sprint comm board inside it. You can safely ignore it and continue.

But anyway, i have an active sprint comm board, and a VZN Pre2. I should be able to follow Rod's step-by-step from the beginning now, which apparently is the only way to do this.
    Yup, that's what you need to move forward.

tried = failed:
    4 different doctors, ubuntu git- whatever, webosquickinstaller, a zillion imposter setting changes, and one time i thought i had it, i called sprint to activate and their computers were down! hah! that's when i went to buy the torx.

so i'm just confused over which doctor to run after. Remember, this is Sprint board into VZN Pre2 to keep working on Sprint with same Sprint number.
    Let's make sure you got the hardware squared away correctly first. You want to take the comm board from your Pre1 (now activated and working dandy), and install that into the VZW Pre2. Toss aside the existing comm board you take out of the Pre2 (the other sprint one that came with it already). You don't need it for anything right now.

i'm also confused if i should activate the 2nd Sprint board (by putting it into the pre1) that came in the VZN.
    No. Don't do anything with that other comm board. (Later on, you CAN install that into the leftover Pre1 body and have a little fun setting up the Pre1 to work like a spare ipod touch, but that's not important right now.)

the one i spent days and days trying to activate within the Pre2. i had phone calls in and out, and wifi, just no EVDO or anything lower. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO THIS, I'D LOVE TO HEAR WHAT I MISSED. i swear i was close, but it may be what was the "impossible" part of my problem.
    That whole problem before was probably because you were trying to activate a sprint comm board that was already inside a Pre2. If you do the right steps this time you shouldn't run into those problems.

ok, i'm getting to it tomorrow after work. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S ASSISTANCE! i am going to get it done!
    I also just sent you a PM with some extra info to help you, so check that out asap.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Great, that's exactly what you want, and a huge step forward.

That's not a problem, and it makes sense since that Pre2 still has that other Sprint comm board inside it. You can safely ignore it and continue.

Yup, that's what you need to move forward.

Let's make sure you got the hardware squared away correctly first. You want to take the comm board from your Pre1 (now activated and working dandy), and install that into the VZW Pre2. Toss aside the existing comm board you take out of the Pre2 (the other sprint one that came with it already). You don't need it for anything right now.

No. Don't do anything with that other comm board. (Later on, you CAN install that into the leftover Pre1 body and have a little fun setting up the Pre1 to work like a spare ipod touch, but that's not important right now.)

That whole problem before was probably because you were trying to activate a sprint comm board that was already inside a Pre2. If you do the right steps this time you shouldn't run into those problems.

I also just sent you a PM with some extra info to help you, so check that out asap.
    right on. thank you!

i am taking a break from phone stuff for a minute. i got the Pre1 and Pre3 working on Sprint and StraightTalk respectively, with different numbers of course.

What do do with the Pre2. hmm....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast