Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    If you need some help with the software part, hit me up with a pm
    I'm trying to do a Sprint FrankenPre 2 also. I downloaded Ubuntu 12.04, and followed the instructions from webOS-internals. But the java never downloaded. I went to the website and downloaded the latest version, but having trouble decompressing the file. I could really use your help. I live in the Midwest, but I have a Touchpad, and I haven't taken my Sprint Pre(-) apart yet, so I am accessible! Hit Me Back, PLEASE!!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I'm trying to do a Sprint FrankenPre 2 also, but got stuck downloading a current version of java. I REALLY could use some help, PlEASE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyBri View Post
    I'm trying to do a Sprint FrankenPre 2 also. I downloaded Ubuntu 12.04, and followed the instructions from webOS-internals. But the java never downloaded. I went to the website and downloaded the latest version, but having trouble decompressing the file. I could really use your help. I live in the Midwest, but I have a Touchpad, and I haven't taken my Sprint Pre(-) apart yet, so I am accessible! Hit Me Back, PLEASE!!
    Open the "Terminal" app in Ubuntu, and run these 3 commands one by one and that should do it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Open the "Terminal" app in Ubuntu, and run these 3 commands one by one and that should do it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

wow if you could get service at the drive-thru that fast it'd put mc d's outta bizness.
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyBri View Post
    I'm trying to do a Sprint FrankenPre 2 also, but got stuck downloading a current version of java. I REALLY could use some help, PlEASE!!
    Did you not get my pm? Just let me know the carrier of the Pre 2 and leave the rest to me.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
  6.    #26  
    just to update the thread. i stayed up all night again, moved my comm board back n' forth TWICE and doctored a few times each.

i now have the pre2 working on sprint, and the pre3 working on ST, and the Pre1 sitting on the table w/o battery.

sms, phone, data, web, all seem to be there. but it's sluggish as crap and my overclocked pre1 could run circles around them. i haven't even tried streaming pandora yet, but if they don't work, i'm selling them both and i'm over it.

too complicated for me i guess. not like i haven't put the time in, and persistence, and asked for help. the phones won't cooperate and there's too much little info missing, like the APN settings, or the PRL, etc.

i'm sorry, i'm no *****. in fact, it's my job to provide solutions when there's no answers. but this is kicking my ****, and it's not fun anymore. the hardware part was EASY compared to this programming cleanup and trying to find someone to text to and confirm it's doing anything.

i really really really really hate HP for doing this to us.

should i allow the 2.2.4 OTA update or is that going to FUBAR a franken pre?

nap. must nap.
    what I do is get on my motorcycle and ride to clear my head....

Don't give up on yourself....by the way the food is usually pretty good after the electro therapy

seriously if you performed the swap correctly it has to be the doctor your using....just use the Verizon 2.1.0 build and see you find
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
  9.    #29  
    yes, i tested and retested comm between them and others, over cellular and wifi, and they communicate in every way they should.

i did the doctors, i used the quick installer, and i updated to 2.2.4. both of them!

i'll do a write up with some of the specific hurdles and how i got thru them for others in the same boat just a little further upstream.

but it's possible! VZN Pre2 on Sprint 3G, overclocked with uberkernel to 1200, and ATT Pre3 on ST HSPA+.

thanx for everyone's help! it is doable!

ok now; zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Way to go TJ!
  11.    #31  
    hey mods: thanx for updating my thread titles. i wanted to do that myself, which is why i went around and put an end post to them all. i hate reading threads where someone gripes about a problem, but never comes back to post the solution.

i'll be writing something up for sure. i had pics, but i forgot to back them up when i redoctored the Pre3. yes, i was working on all three phones at once; why not?

but i want to cover:

-the hardest part of the hardware change, lining up the slide-in keyboard tabs. IMHO it's easier to do if you go ahead and disconnect the black and white antenna wires.
    - the volume rocker is too easy to break.
    -the instruction "send to /media/internal" isn't clear you "send" it using the WOQI command under menu Tools/Install File.
    -updating the PRL seemed very critical to successful connectivity after doctoring. this is easy now
    -using the right dr. of course
    -some other stuff i learned i'll remember later.
    -most of the stuff we want to do is available through the WOQI now; very easy. but most of the instructions and discussion are a year old and very confusing when they're sorta obsolete. using the right instructions will help get it done faster.

i used the phone all day.. honestly, it's a different set of lagginess complaints compared to the Pre1, but hopefully the patches will keep improving and someone up there will take the initiative to blow out obsolete instructions.

or, a thread of what's available to do in WOQI and what is required to do through Ubuntu, etc.
    what's available for 2.2.4 .

have a good week everyone!
    Tj
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    right on. thank you!

i am taking a break from phone stuff for a minute. i got the Pre1 and Pre3 working on Sprint and StraightTalk respectively, with different numbers of course.

What do do with the Pre2. hmm....
    you have a pre│ on sprint ?? UMM HOW DO YOU DO THAT????
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    If you would read previous post you'll see his answer. "Straight talk on sprint network" Its prepaid version.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you have a pre│ on sprint ?? UMM HOW DO YOU DO THAT????
    "...got the Pre1 and Pre3 working on Sprint and StraightTalk respectively"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=respectively

reĚspecĚtiveĚly /riˈspektivlē/Adverb: Separately or individually and in the order already mentioned (used when enumerating two or more items or facts that refer back to a...: "they received sentences of one year and eight months, respectively"
    Last edited by matteebee13; 06/25/2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
  15.    #35  
    maybe i did one patch too many. maybe one that wasn't meant for 2.2.4.

either way, the phone has started acting weird:
    - google IM goes offline repeatedly, yet shows "busy" friends even with status "offline"
    - bluetooth is awful, constantly dropping/stuck in loop
    - screen response is erratic. tap. tap. taptaptaptaptaptap....flick
    - generally, acting like a turd

so i used WOQI to remove everything i could remove. all apps and patches i could uninstall. then i used a metadoctor to bring it back to 2.1. then i did the OTA to 2.2.4, which is where i am now.

i'm going to do another PRL update and switch from 60687 to 60683. maybe that will help.

i'm not adding anything else for a day; let this 2.2.4 settle in. but i'll check if my bluetooth etc. have improved then look for bug fixes if necessary.

i'm about a hair away from soliciting help. i just dont have time to keep guessing at it. i have to get this phone thing resolved. MY BOSS IS PRESSURING ME TO GET A BLACKBERRY. COULD YOU IMAGINE???
    ugh

Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    MY BOSS IS PRESSURING ME TO GET A BLACKBERRY. COULD YOU IMAGINE???
    ugh

*GASP*!

Now on to a few notes:

-Metadoctoring straight to 2.2.4 instead of doing 2.1 and then OTA updating might work better
    -See if 2.1.0 works better in the first place. Some people dislike 2.2.4 and have just disabled their OTA updates to stick with 2.1.0
    -Install govnah and uberkernel even if you don't plan to overclock, it still works better and you have more control
    -If you DO overclock, know that pushing the speed too high can actually make your phone run slower and jerky/unstable
    -For stability issues even when NOT overclocked, I've had luck by boosting the voltage settings just a bit in Govnah
    -I have read people somewhere still saying PRL 60683 is the best, but 60687 is probably just fine
    Last edited by sq5; 06/29/2012 at 08:38 AM.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    *GASP*!

Now on to a few notes:

-Metadoctoring straight to 2.2.4 instead of doing 2.1 and then OTA updating might work better
    -See if 2.1.0 works better in the first place. Some people dislike 2.2.4 and have just disabled their OTA updates to stick with 2.1.0
    -Install govnah and uberkernel even if you don't plan to overclock, it still works better and you have more control
    -If you DO overclock, know that pushing the speed too high can actually make your phone run slower and jerky/unstable
    -For stability issues even when NOT overclocked, I've had luck by boosting the voltage settings just a bit in Govnah
    -I have read people somewhere still saying PRL 60683 is the best, but 60687 is probably just fine
    ok, today's results running 60683 vs. 60687 (which my friend has on our shared family plan)

60687 was dropping to 1x, i even saw an R.
    60683 has stayed on EV all day.

however, even with the EV going, it keeps kicking my google chat offline. blue tooth connectivity is crapola, it keeps disconnecting and won't auto reconnect. and i have plenty of experience with my HBS 700 auto reconnecting to the pre1 with no problem at all.

meanwhile, my pre3 has been sluggish and just not fun, i guess cuz its on throttled straight talk. pandora interrupts too much to bother. i'm back to that feeling that i blew a bunch of money, a crapload of sleepless labor hours, and i had a more responsive phone with just my original untamped pre- that only had the uberkernel and govnah.

so i'm gonna let this post end and start a new thread asking for new help.
    it's not "impossible, so the story here has reached its conclusion, but i need to ask the experienced collective here some questions and start from a fresh perspective.

i wonder if 'openwebos' will eliminate this issue or just perpetuate it. that's for another thread too.
    cheers
    tj
    Are you in a roaming area? Was your phone roaming? If not, then the PRL makes no difference at all.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My vote: G.
    Yes, yes, so I chose the lemming route but I think I deserve a break after having stuck with it through 7 (yes, SEVEN) pre-. Got a Motorola Photon (MoPho) now and while Android has the quirks we know, I'm very much enjoying the drastically superior hardware and app availability. I will certainly look to come back when Open webOS takes off (hopefully).
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    My vote: G.
    Huh? Oh. Boy are you late to the party! If you the rest of the posts, that ship sailed long ago as the OP has already finished the Frankenpre2 process and has more or less self-closed this thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast