1.    #1  
    I just recently bought a used Verizon Palm Pre 2 off of Ebay, and I wanted to use it as a secondary device (with no active SIM card). But, it seems that I cannot use the phone without making a Palm Profile, which I need an active cellular plan to do. I did some searching, and it seems like there is a way to temporarily bypass activation (wand then register later over Wi-Fi), but I have yet to see a complete guide on how to do this. Can anyone offer a guide on this, put in simple terms? I should note that I do have access to a Verizon SIM card in my iPhone 4S, if I absolutely need to connect to Verizon.

EDIT: I tried getting into dev mode by typing "##3386633#" into the emergency call option, but as soon as I input the last #, it just exits the phone app, and brings me back to the activation screen. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT2: I find that if I hold down the # button long enough for the last key entry, I get an error saying "Invalid MSL". Does that mean anything?

EDIT3: I was somehow able to access the main OS by powering on the device in USB mode and then exiting. So, I continued with the tutorial, installing Impostah and setting up a Palm Account. But, after I did, I got the following error message:
    Impostah cannot update the Palm Profile on webOS 1.x - you must now login using the First Use application.
    After this, it says "Success", and finished the process. I am confused by why it brings up webOS 1.x, since I can't be running 1.x; I'm using a Pre 2! Yet, somehow, when I check "Device Info", it says I'm running webOS 1.4.5.1! I know something is wrong because I can't access the App Catalog, either.

EDIT4: I think the seller on Ebay sent me a Palm Pre Plus instead of a Palm Pre 2. That's disheartening. Oh well, it would explain the problem I was having with updating.
    Last edited by lisalover1; 05/31/2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalover1 View Post
    I just recently bought a used Verizon Palm Pre 2 off of Ebay, and I wanted to use it as a secondary device (with no active SIM card). But, it seems that I cannot use the phone without making a Palm Profile, which I need an active cellular plan to do. I did some searching, and it seems like there is a way to temporarily bypass activation (wand then register later over Wi-Fi), but I have yet to see a complete guide on how to do this. Can anyone offer a guide on this, put in simple terms? I should note that I do have access to a Verizon SIM card in my iPhone 4S, if I absolutely need to connect to Verizon.

EDIT: I tried getting into dev mode by typing "##3386633#" into the emergency call option, but as soon as I input the last #, it just exits the phone app, and brings me back to the activation screen. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT2: I find that if I hold down the # button long enough for the last key entry, I get an error saying "Invalid MSL". Does that mean anything?

EDIT3: I was somehow able to access the main OS by powering on the device in USB mode and then exiting. So, I continued with the tutorial, installing Impostah and setting up a Palm Account. But, after I did, I got the following error message:

After this, it says "Success", and finished the process. I am confused by why it brings up webOS 1.x, since I can't be running 1.x; I'm using a Pre 2! Yet, somehow, when I check "Device Info", it says I'm running webOS 1.4.5.1! I know something is wrong because I can't access the App Catalog, either.

EDIT4: I think the seller on Ebay sent me a Palm Pre Plus instead of a Palm Pre 2. That's disheartening. Oh well, it would explain the problem I was having with updating.

If this device was used as a Franken pre, which you might not know, but first use the doctor to make sure the software is back to factory state, the device profile is based on the meid of the device, use impostah to look at the profile, or the HP/palm manage profile url. It will detail the phone type ie preplus Verizon, or pre2 Verizon...

If this is the issues a device profile override is the only way to impersonate...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    If this device was used as a Franken pre, which you might not know, but first use the doctor to make sure the software is back to factory state, the device profile is based on the meid of the device, use impostah to look at the profile, or the HP/palm manage profile url. It will detail the phone type ie preplus Verizon, or pre2 Verizon...

If this is the issues a device profile override is the only way to impersonate...
    Thanks for the info; now I'm sure it's a Pre Plus. I'm just going to return it to the seller, get a refund, and buy a Pre 2. But, in the meantime, does anyone know how to register a Palm Profile on an activation-bypassed Pre Plus? Impostah is giving me trouble, as I said. Or, should I just make a new topic for that altogether?
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalover1 View Post
    Thanks for the info; now I'm sure it's a Pre Plus. I'm just going to return it to the seller, get a refund, and buy a Pre 2. But, in the meantime, does anyone know how to register a Palm Profile on an activation-bypassed Pre Plus? Impostah is giving me trouble, as I said. Or, should I just make a new topic for that altogether?
    Impostah is not applicable to 1.x devices. If ur interested in bypassing a 1.x device look into Jason R's bypass activation patch for the 1.x versions. May also want to meta-doctor to a 2.x version w the bypass included ("WiFi use only" in wiki), then impostah can be used to create a palm profile. Good luck & have fun
    Last edited by ulmens; 06/02/2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: include more info