Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    If you get an IPKG error, you should email it to yourself, then copy/paste it here so people can take a look at it. It's impossible to guess without it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by raphaelgo View Post
    Hm... well, it said:

Talk to a Person
    We're here to help. For free setup within the first 90 days* of purchase, call the webOS Setup Hotline.

And by the way, how do I change the font/font size? And change the message alert sound? I can only change the ringtone, but not my message sound
    when you're in the messaging app, swipe from the top left to open preferences and you can change the messaging tone from there. Also, if you add your own tones to the ringtone folder on the phone itself, they should show up here.

glad you're enjoying your webos experience.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Good for you, glad to hear that you're having fun with it already.

I hope that you got yourself a TouchStone to go with it... I know that I wouldn't want to be without mine.

I have a few touchstones at home, one at my desk, one next to bed (and my wife has her's for her Pre) It's awesome to be able to simply drop the phone on them and have them charge and be a clock... it prevents forgetting to charge it, leaving it in a bag or pocket, or forgetting where you'd put it down. Plus the added bonus to prevent wear and possible break of the micro USB.

For synching, if you want to save from using the port and cables, you have alternatives (WIFI), either use dropbox via QuickOffice (or Picsel Smart Office... still 99 cents for the phone version for a few more days and well worth getting) or go get Wifi Media Synch.

As far as accounts, once you have your Palm account set up (required for the phone to be up and running), you do not need anything more, all your email accounts and such have nothing to do with the provider.

I use Yahoo and Google... Google only due to the Calendar, as Yahoo's doesn't play well. But for Email, Yahoo works great.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 05/23/2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I bought Piscel SmartOffice already. And yes I'll send the IPKG once I get home. So many people love my phone at school, they're so amused by it! Especially the cards and the gesture area. I ordered a touchstone already; its coming next week
    I bought Piscel SmartOffice already. And yes I'll send the IPKG once I get home. So many people love my phone at school, they're so amused by it! Especially the cards and the gesture area. I ordered a touchstone already; its coming next week
    In a world dominated by bland large rectangular phones with buttons all over them, I absolutely love the look of the Pre.... and most times I'm in a store looking at electronics (in reference to the phone, such as bluetooth earpiece for example), the sales people tend to take a good look and comment about how nice it looks, and then ask to see how it works.

The comments are usually the usual "well, it''s nice but ... Android/iPhone has more apps..." with the glared eyes...

It's sad and funny... funny to see them kinda squirm about seeing a better phone/OS, but sad that unless someone gets some brains in HP, there's never going to be another Pre.

But at this point, all I can say is that for a phone that's somewhat "old" in terms of all the newer models, it still holds it's own.

My only peeves with mine is the reception is poor and that since 2.2.4, I've had to put my BlueAnt earpiece away as it no longer worked correctly with it, and had to try a few other ones. Right now, I've settled on the Jawbone Icon and it's not as great as my BlueAnt was, but it works better than the others I've tried. Very annoying, considering that with 2.1, it worked flawlessly.... Even re-doctored it, but eventually the phone re-updated itself, and while it's a sacrifice of the Bluetooth, 2.2.4 does fix other flaws.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    In a world dominated by bland large rectangular phones with buttons all over them, I absolutely love the look of the Pre.... and most times I'm in a store looking at electronics (in reference to the phone, such as bluetooth earpiece for example), the sales people tend to take a good look and comment about how nice it looks, and then ask to see how it works.

The comments are usually the usual "well, it''s nice but ... Android/iPhone has more apps..." with the glared eyes...

It's sad and funny... funny to see them kinda squirm about seeing a better phone/OS, but sad that unless someone gets some brains in HP, there's never going to be another Pre.

But at this point, all I can say is that for a phone that's somewhat "old" in terms of all the newer models, it still holds it's own.

My only peeves with mine is the reception is poor and that since 2.2.4, I've had to put my BlueAnt earpiece away as it no longer worked correctly with it, and had to try a few other ones. Right now, I've settled on the Jawbone Icon and it's not as great as my BlueAnt was, but it works better than the others I've tried. Very annoying, considering that with 2.1, it worked flawlessly.... Even re-doctored it, but eventually the phone re-updated itself, and while it's a sacrifice of the Bluetooth, 2.2.4 does fix other flaws.
    There is a Wiki on how to bring the webOS 2.2.4 bluetooth stack over to a webOS 2.1.0 device, one can reverse (I provided all the scripts), to bring webOS 2.1.0 bluetooth stack back to webOS 2.2.4, although you would loose map (sms sharing with touchpad), you would get your headset back?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I know, sad how no one in my school knows webOS, and barely heard of the Palm Pre. It's all about the iPhone/Blackberry for them (and android for some). If everyone knew about webOS and its perks, then it'd be very successful in the teenager market, because all I've gotten today were compliments: "Oh, I like how there's a mirror on the back!" "It looks so sleek" "It looks so nice!"

...yeah the form factor is very appealing
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If you get an IPKG error, you should email it to yourself, then copy/paste it here so people can take a look at it. It's impossible to guess without it.
    begin
    RNothing Interesting.
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl -s -I --user-agent Preware --location --fail --show-error http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/precen..._0.2.3_all.ipk 2>&1
    curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404

Copied and pasted. What's weird in webOS email, is that if I do go on my email via laptop, the emails I read on the Pre 2 are still marked as unread.
    If you haven't already go to screen and lock and turn on advanced gestures so you can switch apps full screen to full screen
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Oh, btw, noticing huge battery life difference between my BlackBerry and Pre 2. The Pre2, has horrible battery life or that I just use it too much. I always get through a day with a BB, for this phone I needed to use a charger to partly charge my phone several times a day!
    yep, battery life not as good as bb
    Oh, btw, noticing huge battery life difference between my BlackBerry and Pre 2. The Pre2, has horrible battery life or that I just use it too much. I always get through a day with a BB, for this phone I needed to use a charger to partly charge my phone several times a day!
    It can go fairly quickly.

Things to check for.

If not connected to WIFI or Bluetooth, turn them off.

Switch to airplane mode if not using it (no signal, or not the time to take calls or go online with it),

As I stated already, one very bad thing is that the Pre does have trouble with signal strength, and the lower the signal, the more it's going to suck power.

Lower the screen brightness... I have mine on minimum and unless in the sunshine, I can't even tell as the screen is that bright.

Buy a few spare batteries and a charger for on the go... since, you now, the Pre has replaceable batteries another kick-**** thing about this phone). Make sure that you get good charger... I got two cheaper ones that never changed any batteries.
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    It can go fairly quickly.

Things to check for.

If not connected to WIFI or Bluetooth, turn them off.

Switch to airplane mode if not using it (no signal, or not the time to take calls or go online with it),

As I stated already, one very bad thing is that the Pre does have trouble with signal strength, and the lower the signal, the more it's going to suck power.

Lower the screen brightness... I have mine on minimum and unless in the sunshine, I can't even tell as the screen is that bright.

Buy a few spare batteries and a charger for on the go... since, you now, the Pre has replaceable batteries another kick-**** thing about this phone). Make sure that you get good charger... I got two cheaper ones that never changed any batteries.
    Yes, I'm planning to get a spare battery or something off of ebay.ca so this time, I won't get double charged for shipping ($25+17... really now.. shipping to Canada?!)

Which does bring the question, do the Palm Pre and Pre 2 have the same batteries? Or at least their batteries are compatible with each other?
    Last edited by raphaelgo; 05/23/2012 at 11:03 PM.
    All palm phones except the veer and pre 3 (technically hp phones) share the same battery
    Here's the model of the charger I now have and works.

External Battery Charger For PALM Centro Pixi Pre Plus 2 Treo 685 690 800 800w | eBay

The other type (black ones that you just slide battery onto), I wasted my money on two of those... crap that just doesn't work.

As far as he batteries goes, I'd recommend a Palm branded (OEM) one, just to ensure that its built correctly (chipsets and such), as I'd worry about third parties brands with a Touchstone. But plenty of those on eBay for a few dollars.
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thank you guys I just got my touchstone! I love it and Bell decided to be nice to me and texted me saying that my upgrade is available starting today... When they told me before it was December 25. Wow. I am telling Bell that I am getting out of Bell once my contract is up - and then Bell will offer me nice things if I agree to stick to them!
    I'm curious..how did you become interested in webOS especially at this stage where they are not available for sale anymore
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I'm curious..how did you become interested in webOS especially at this stage where they are not available for sale anymore
    no, was interested in my cousin's pre when since 2010. I just never got the chance to get one until now. And help, my touchstone is messed! It keeps making my pre say "charging" with the sound simultaneously... This means that its not charging properly! The charger I use isn't a palm charger because my phone didn't come with the charger... Does the touchstone require a palm charger?
    I think the clue on the error log was the The requested URL returned error: 404 You may have to try it again and see if it works, I've had that happen on occassion.

I'm thinking you just didn't set your phone on properly. If it's a little bit out of line, then the connection is on/off/on/off/on/off etc. Take your phone off, and try re-seating it on the Touchstone. If the phone will not stop with the notification blinking/sounds when you take it off, try turning the screen off. If it still doesn't stop after 30 seconds or so, do a restart.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I think the clue on the error log was the The requested URL returned error: 404 You may have to try it again and see if it works, I've had that happen on occasion.
    I'm thinking you just didn't set your phone on properly. If it's a little bit out of line, then the connection is on/off/on/off/on/off etc. Take your phone off, and try re-seating it on the Touchstone. If the phone will not stop with
    the notification blinking/sounds when you take it off, try turning the screen off. If it still doesn't stop after 30 seconds or so, do a restart.
    won't work for both. It still makes my pre flash "charging battery" with the sound every second and its still an error ipkg log
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast