1.    #1  
    Good morning,

Last week my Palm Pre 2 broke in two pieces but the power was still on, unfortunately for me, I guess I had no connection once it broke. I couldn't make calls, send texts or access the internet. I have ALL of my little girls pictures and videos since she was born on that phone!! I tried connecting the phone to my laptop and it wasn't reading the pre at all. I'm hoping with all my heart that there's some other way to get ahold of those pictures and videos again. It sucks that I couldn't get another pre but it kills me to have lost the first recorded months of my daughters life!

Is there a different way I can get my data out of that broken phone?

Thanks in advance,
    DePalacios
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depalacios10 View Post
    Good morning,

Last week my Palm Pre 2 broke in two pieces but the power was still on, unfortunately for me, I guess I had no connection once it broke. I couldn't make calls, send texts or access the internet. I have ALL of my little girls pictures and videos since she was born on that phone!! I tried connecting the phone to my laptop and it wasn't reading the pre at all. I'm hoping with all my heart that there's some other way to get ahold of those pictures and videos again. It sucks that I couldn't get another pre but it kills me to have lost the first recorded months of my daughters life!

Is there a different way I can get my data out of that broken phone?

Thanks in advance,
    DePalacios
    The files are in flash memory. Depending upon the level of damage these can be retrieved either easily or at some expense (enough to repair that portion of the phone).

My guess is that you will need to repair the phone first. How extensive is the damage? Can you post photos?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    does it still power on?
    is it in developer mode?

I just plugged my pre2 into my machine while it was in developer mode and ran webos quick install
    using the linux commandline option I was able to see the files

I have kids too and I completely understand how you feel
    Hell I'd be willing to try and get the files off there for you if you want to ship it to Wisconsin

John
  4.    #4  
    I've attached two pictures.
    What broke was whatever got the phone to slide open/close, nothing else is broken. I'm guessing that affected my connection too. It had signal and said AT&T but I had no connection at all. I just tried plugging it into my brother's computers and they couldn't read the device either. Is flash memory the same as internal memory?

John, the battery died but my dad is going let me borrow his fully charged one since he has a Pre as well. Once I have the battery could I just run the phone on developer mode then? I think I just might ship it over once I run out of options!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USB mode didn't work?
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    depalacios10:

been dying to know... did you get your pics off there?
    Hope this thread is still live. My Pre fell and split in two. I tried to reconnect the ribbon connectors and even had it working for about 5 seconds. Then I closed the slider and there must have been a short. Now just the Palm screen loops without booting. the power switch doesn't work either. I can get the usb icon but nothing on the computer. Sure would like to get the photos and videos off.
    Last edited by radq; 04/09/2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    USB mode didn't work?
    USB mode would not work automatically. Remember, unless you have the patch installed, it prompts you to do that.

If you have your Pre in developer mode, the SDK tools should be able to pull the data off.

EDIT: Did not read timestamps. Derp.

Quote Originally Posted by radq View Post
    Hope this thread is still live. My Pre fell and split in two. I tried to reconnect the ribbon connectors and even had it working for about 5 seconds. Then I closed the slider and there must have been a short. Now just the Palm screen loops without booting. the power switch doesn't work either. I can get the usb icon but nothing on the computer. Sure would like to get the photos and videos off.
    Your phone is doing what my Pixi+ is after it fell in sushi vinegar. Sorry mate but your phone may be screwed

Backups backups backups! *Reminds you of the school days of "ALWAYS REMEMBER TO HIT SAVE EVERY FEW MINUTES"*

If it will idle at the palm logo (The glowing one), there is a small chance you may be able to login to the device with devtools.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    USB mode would not work automatically. Remember, unless you have the patch installed, it prompts you to do that.

If you have your Pre in developer mode, the SDK tools should be able to pull the data off.

EDIT: Did not read timestamps. Derp.

Your phone is doing what my Pixi+ is after it fell in sushi vinegar. Sorry mate but your phone may be screwed

Backups backups backups! *Reminds you of the school days of "ALWAYS REMEMBER TO HIT SAVE EVERY FEW MINUTES"*

If it will idle at the palm logo (The glowing one), there is a small chance you may be able to login to the device with devtools.
    Funny thing is.... I DO backup, backup, backup. But the damn phone decided to fall in between backups! The only life in the thing is via the usb cable. In other words, untethered via the cable to a charger or a computer, the thing is just as dead as a doornail. the only life in it is that when you connect the cable the Palm comes up and loops, or the usb logo appears. I was kind of hoping that if I stood on one leg and put duck tape on the screen that might help. Beyond that I figured that the mythical, but now dead, Palmgods that created this thing must have run into the same situation, and uttered some incantation (or keystrokes) to bring it to life. I need the ancient book of spells the Palmgods used.
    Quote Originally Posted by radq View Post
    Funny thing is.... I DO backup, backup, backup. But the damn phone decided to fall in between backups! The only life in the thing is via the usb cable. In other words, untethered via the cable to a charger or a computer, the thing is just as dead as a doornail. the only life in it is that when you connect the cable the Palm comes up and loops, or the usb logo appears. I was kind of hoping that if I stood on one leg and put duck tape on the screen that might help. Beyond that I figured that the mythical, but now dead, Palmgods that created this thing must have run into the same situation, and uttered some incantation (or keystrokes) to bring it to life. I need the ancient book of spells the Palmgods used.
    There are many ways to get what you want...

Sure a computer with a USB port (mac/windows os), novacom drivers (the SDK works great)...

If one has the ability to novaterm into the device anything can be done...

This has been covered on these forums so many times...

Put the device in USB recover mode (with unit powered off, power on while holding volume up key)....

Once that is done use novacom to memboot a uimage... (um yeah it is technical but when you are at this point one must learn the techie parts to get what they want)...

Then with the uimage one can mount the LVM partitions and they can then use the meta doctor application to do a backup of the whole device...

Or if one has the SDK tools look for the nova-browser great tool lets one have a GUI and get/put file to the device...

Where there is the will there is a way... One thing I have found about all HP/Palm devices is how easy they are to hack... Bootie da bootloader clears the path...