Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    When I asked online to the Bell agent about using my unlocked GSM Pre 2, and if I could keep my current plan, he said no. He told me me that the $50 plan is only a BlackBerry plan and that if I use the Palm Pre 2 I'll have to switch plans and therefore, lose my 50% off in my current plan!! ***! My plan is for all smartphones! It's 500 mb data, 200 minutes, and unlimited messaging - that plan is accessible for all smartphones and he said that it's only a BlackBerry exclusive and that if I switch to Pre 2, I'll have to pick the normal 50$ plan... which I do...

Basically, Bell is sneaky and is forcing me to drop my 50% off discount for my monthly plan... What should I do?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Depends on what you want more. Obviously your plan IS not for all smartphones and only blackberry. If you look at the contract at the Bell site, you'll perhaps find the information that you assumed to be all smartphones is in fact all blackberry.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    When I switched from my Pre (with a special plan) to a Pre2, I simply got a sim card, got the switch done and never had any issues

And yes, I'm with Bell.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Hmm.. So basically I just make them activate my Pre 2 on Bell, then just put my SIM card in the Pre 2 from my BlackBerry? Personally, if they still make me drop my 50% off, then Ill have to stay with my BB because a student cannot afford plans as high as $60+
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    When I switched from my Pre (with a special plan) to a Pre2, I simply got a sim card, got the switch done and never had any issues

And yes, I'm with Bell.
    Quote Originally Posted by raphaelgo View Post
    Hmm.. So basically I just make them activate my Pre 2 on Bell, then just put my SIM card in the Pre 2 from my BlackBerry? Personally, if they still make me drop my 50% off, then Ill have to stay with my BB because a student cannot afford plans as high as $60+
    There's nothing to activate as far as I know.

I had to get a SIM card due that the original Pre is a non-SIM phone, so I simply got my card, got my phone number (and plan) switched over to the SIM card, placed the card in the unlocked Pre2 and the network was automatically recognized and it requested that I enter my Palm profile (which I don't think the plans matters as long as you have data so it can log in to Palm's servers) info and I was good to go. Once it was activated via Palm profile and running, switched to WIFI for the rest of the downloads and never had a problem.

I then got my wife's phone switched to the original Pre (she had a old flip phone, no SIM card on it either). Her phone on the family plan (shared minutes), so we did need to get her some sort of data plan, we got her the minimum (100MB) as she barely even uses it.

If your BlackBerry uses a SIM card and your Pre2 is unlocked, just drop the card in it and see what happens... I would believe that you'll just get a request to create your Palm profile.

For me, I simply told them that I was switching phones, from a Pre to a Pre2, and they didn't even seemed to care about it.

Technically I see it as: I got my Pre by signing a 2 (or 3) years contract... If I was to break it and have to replace it, I'd still be under the same contract. When I got the Pre, I asked about repairs and such and the fact is, if I had to send it in for repairs, I'd have no phone until they would return it, or if I had my own phone, I'd be able to flip it over to it until my Pre would be returned.

In other words, if you break the phone, the plan doesn't stop or gets cancelled, you just have to replace the phone.

So unless there's something really particular about the BlackBerry's data exchange, I don't see how it would matter what phone is on it. I understand that the plan might be "special" so that you'd buy the plan (and hence the phone), but unless you cancel the plan, once the contract is done (at which time you can renew it automatically, at least that's how it's always been for me with Bell for over 10 years), you then own the phone, which is why they state that you "qualify" for a new phone (but the small print is that you have to renew the contract or get a new one for 2-3 years again).

When you cancel a plan ahead of the 2-3 years, the cancelling fees aren't so much for the plan, but the balance that you owe for the phone and a disactivation fee.

Most plans covers payments for the phone that you get with it, which is why the cheaper phones are free (0$) and the newer models, you need to pay upfront for the balance that wouldn't be covered on the plan. Which is why that for a fancy phone, you get it for 200$ with a plan, while if you buy it unlocked, it's 500$.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 05/13/2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Wow, that sounds really expensive. 50$ for 500 mb and 200 minutes and unlimited messaging. Well, I thought that I have expensive plan - 30$ for 850 minutes to all networks, 1 minute = 4 messages, and 2 gigabytes of data.
    Quote Originally Posted by jchris4444 View Post
    Wow, that sounds really expensive. 50$ for 500 mb and 200 minutes and unlimited messaging. Well, I thought that I have expensive plan - 30$ for 850 minutes to all networks, 1 minute = 4 messages, and 2 gigabytes of data.
    Canada has one of the highest cell phone rates in the world. $70/month gets me 200 daytime minutes; 10 numbers(you can change them once/month) unlimited(24/7) national calling (to/from); unlimited texts; 6GB data; all incoming calls free (24/7); and all outgoing from 6PM to 7AM free. My second line costs me $60, virtually the same but only 1GB data.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jchris4444 View Post
    It's completely ridiculous. I'm just a high school student with a crap load of essays to deal with thanks to my egotistical AP English teacher....

Meanwhile everyone before had a Blackberry as well, but switched to iPhone 4S and are all like "OMG i love this phone so much liek it can make me fat and everything!!!!11" ...such isheep who pay at least $50 on a plan and they just text and play apps - waste of money. No one's even heard of WebOS or anything, not even WP7.

On topic, I'll try to see that... I'll just plop in my SIM from my bb on the Pre 2 when I do get it since I already ordered it, and tell you what's next. Thank you WebOS nation !
    I would agree with the posters above, just pop your SIM in and Bell won't know if you have a Blackberry or a banana...

However, looks like Bell automatically sends settings to Blackberry for APN and MMS configuration when you start up a BB on their service (???)... I sort of think you will have to input those yourself on a Pre 2. Here's a page with all the relevant settings: How to: Bell APN settings Android IPhone Blackberry | Bell Mobility 4G 3G GPRS MMS WAP EDGE Settings for Nokia | HSPA Network Manual Configuration
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by raphaelgo View Post

On topic, I'll try to see that... I'll just plop in my SIM from my bb on the Pre 2 when I do get it since I already ordered it, and tell you what's next. Thank you WebOS nation !
    Good luck and keep us posted.