Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    You guys !!

Found a good deal on eBay and deciding on whether or not, the Pre 2 will be better than my 2 year old Blackberry bold 9700 (still stuck on a 3 year contract.....). Here is a list:

1.) Best Twitter app? I've done research and I'm guessing Phnx? How much is it?
    2.) Best Office app? How much?
    3.) Best Dropbox client? From what I heard, there's no official Dropbox app How much?
    4.) Any particular apps to get for a student?
    5.) How do I download Preware?

Asking for the costs so I know what my final expenses will be after everything is set, from activating the phone on Bell, and buying the apps and the phone itself for it.

Thanks!
    Congrats
    Twitter--Phnx is fine.
    Office app-you can use quickoffice. picsel is Ok too but may be better for viewing pdfs than editing docs.
    There used to be something called dropboxify, don't know if its still around. Box.com supports webOS and for awhile gave away 50 GBs so that proved to be more useful to me than dropbox.

I like songID (its like shazaam), homebrew app for controlling electronics called home appcontrol I think, datajog for passing info back and forth to computer, packntrack to track packages, auctionmate pro for ebay, tapnote for notes, wifi file sharing and wifi media sync to share files with computer without cord, medipedia for gray's anatomy, superads for superbowl ads, music remix for full-figured music player, retune will control itunes from your pre (homebrew), bhome for UPnP player. There should be a pandora app floating around and if not pandora there is a homebrew equivalent (apollo radio)

A must for file browser is internalz pro (homebrew). Install webos quick install on your computer from same homebrewer (brilliant guy called jason robataille, now a palm intern!), then type webos20090606 on your pre to put into developer mode and connect to computer while webos quick install is open and it will let you install preware (there should be a guide around here somewhere). Once you get into homebrew, there are patches to optimize Pre2 performance, run it naked for a day or two and then figure out what you like. jason has some nice patches to put flashlight on phone and gps on front menu, look for his patches.

For coolness, there is a now glimpse app for the phones which can open multiple apps in one app so look for that as this is a unique feature to webos, enjoy it. More apps from homebrew: dr battery is good for monitoring battery, preset reset for turning off and on phone each morning for fresh start, jstop for monitoring resources. A plex client may be coming soon.

Oh and there is a free tether app which will let you tether depending on your carrier's policies.

webOS is unique and this community is like no other. Savor your welcome here, take it slow, enjoy each marvel
    Quote Originally Posted by raphaelgo View Post
    You guys !!

Found a good deal on eBay and deciding on whether or not, the Pre 2 will be better than my 2 year old Blackberry bold 9700 (still stuck on a 3 year contract.....). Here is a list:

1.) Best Twitter app? I've done research and I'm guessing Phnx? How much is it?
    2.) Best Office app? How much?
    3.) Best Dropbox client? From what I heard, there's no official Dropbox app How much?
    4.) Any particular apps to get for a student?
    5.) How do I download Preware?

Asking for the costs so I know what my final expenses will be after everything is set, from activating the phone on Bell, and buying the apps and the phone itself for it.

Thanks!
    Can I have your BlackBerry? i need a dev toy.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    thank you I will keep that in mind! ..And eblade, sorry, no, I'm giving it to my mom who is in dire need of a phone... another reason why I'm phone hunting haha
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I went from android to to my pre 2, and love it. go for it. The whole swipe jesture thing is great, it makes your thumb uber powerful in a one hand operation.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    picsel apparently on sale today
    paper mache and readontouchpro are nice as instapaper or read it later apps
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    OMG I do not have my phone yet ahhhh!

I read the steps on getting preware, and after I do get it on my Pre 2 am I able to exit developer mode and still keep the Preware app? Or will I be forever stuck in developer mode (what does that mean exactly?) ?
    Don't sweat developer mode - it only opens the ability to install from your PC. It's been forever since I installed it, so I can't say for sure if you can turn it off after PreWare is installed, but I want to say you can. I've never turned it off since 2009.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    RumoredNow likes this.
    as for students perhaps flashcards could be interresting.

and there is a note taking client TapNote which syncs with your dropbox and a patch for the browser which let's you append URLs with date to a note. So if you are on the go and find some interresting stuff for your studies you can add it to a note.

Same patch also works for readOnTouch a readit later client or MeOrg! a springpad client or the before mentioned DataJog to beam data from PC <> webos <> webos:
    More here [Patch] Browser - Sharing Super Mix Patch [2.1.0] and get it via preware.

Best to start as HowTo Preware/homebrew... get:

http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=org.preware.docs

It's the best invested 99cents and supports the community.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 05/09/2012 at 01:11 AM.
    yeah good suggestion, I wax about to suggest he go to app catalogue and buy the preware doc app and also the webos quick install app, both will have instructions and you will be directly supporting those guys who will be fixing the bugs in the new software beta coming out in 3 months
    Quote Originally Posted by raphaelgo View Post
    OMG I do not have my phone yet ahhhh!

I read the steps on getting preware, and after I do get it on my Pre 2 am I able to exit developer mode and still keep the Preware app? Or will I be forever stuck in developer mode (what does that mean exactly?) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Don't sweat developer mode - it only opens the ability to install from your PC. It's been forever since I installed it, so I can't say for sure if you can turn it off after PreWare is installed, but I want to say you can. I've never turned it off since 2009.
    You can toggle Developer mode off and on at will. It won't affect Preware.

I use the "Unhide Developer Mode" patch. It makes a nice little app icon on your launcher which, when tapped, opens a card where you have an On/Off switch. I always leave the card open when in Dev Mode as a reminder to turn it off when I'm done doing... whatever I needed it for, then close the app by throwing the card away once I'm back out of Dev Mode.

Seriously - Get Preware installed and go through the available patches, they make life with webOS so easy and convenient.

@ Grabber: In Dev Mode since '09?

Is that Hard Core or Lazy?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee