1.    #1  
    I recently got into webOS with the purchase of a used GSM unlocked Pre 2. I activated it on Straight Talk under the "bring your own phone" plan. I've been on the carrier about three weeks. I configured into the dialer pad preferences all of the settings ST sent with my activation packet. 3G lit up on the top bar, phone calls working, data was working, SMS was working. MMS was not working. The Pre 2 default for MMS Max Size is set at 600. I changed it to 300 and MMS was working for send and receive. I got that number from somewhere in my reading. Don't remember where anymore.

But it seemed to me that my data speed was slow. I could occasionally get just over 1.0 mb/second, but that was rare. I experimented with the TCP Congestion settings in Govnah. It seems Westwood yields the best results and I consistently average around 0.7-0.9 mb/second: way better than the 0.4-0.5 average for Cubit which is the default. I am using the Netspeed app and speedtest.net with location refinement. Still not getting the data speed I feel I should. Sites don't load as snappy as they should.

I looked around, asked questions, did research.

Two possible answers presented themselves:

1) Get my phone's IMEI added to the carrier's database - no luck there... the people at ST customer service basically blew me off and seemed to think I was asking them to wear tinfoil hats to keep the Martians from accessing my phone. I may still send an email request to try and make that happen, but know from experience it is often more productive to just try and get things accomplished on your own. On to option two.

2) Edit the carrierdb.json file on my phone to recognize Straight Talk more fully.

A few days ago, Google brought this thread to my attention: HOWTO: Edit your carrierdb.json file

I studied the instructions and reference links provided by digitalunlock. I looked at their "builder" and even though it is for Veer I considered using it, but wanted to make sure I had as complete info as I could possibly get to input into their many blank fields.

I decided on the basis of this wikipedia page: Mobile Network Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that I most likely needed MCC: 310 MNC: 410 due to the other info about AT&T being the carrier on those settings and the fact that it is formerly Cingular. (Cingular being referenced in the MMSC setting Straight Talk provided.) Also some of the settings are in the configure info ST provides. But still I was at a loss to complete much of the info called for by the builder.

Today my friend Google yielded this nugget: https://github.com/webos-internals/meta-doctor/pull/34 from distanal and rwhitby. Values match my research, what ST sent for configuration settings and my guesswork.

I had previously pulled a copy of carrierdb.json from my phone onto my PC and stored it in a folder labeled Untampered Files. I got that out. I copied the info from the github link and pasted it onto the end of my carrierdb.json file and saved it in a new folder labeled Modified Files. I then used WOSQI to send it to /etc/carrierdb and then rebooted my Pre 2.

Phone calls work, data works, SMS works. MMS not working send or receive.

Hmmm... scratch head... set MMS Max size to 600 just as in the info I pasted into carrierdb.json. Nope. Ah Ha!!! Add :80 (for MMS Port :80) to the MMS Proxy string that ST sent in the configuration packet. (I saw that in another thread I've forgotten and won't search for.)

MMS working.

It seems to me that the new carrierdb.json is working as now I have to configure dialer pad preferences to be in line with the .json info...

I didn't bork my phone.

I learned some new stuff.

BUT - my data speed only seems marginally better and that might just be the placebo effect. Sites I normally go to seem to load just a smidge faster. It's subjective really. I haven't seen any dramatic jump on speed tests.

Any help, ideas, etc... specifically about increasing my data speed performance???
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 05/06/2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  2.    #2  
    OK...

Everything still running smooth with the updated carrierdb.json file (excepting no increase in data performance *sigh*) - nothing broken function wise.

But I like to tinker. I looked at the .json entry for Straight Talk that I added to my Pre 2 and compared it line by line with the already existing AT&T entry for MCC 310 / MNC 410 just to see where they varied. There are a couple differences in the MMS properties. However since my MMS is working I'm not fiddling with it.

I did notice,"qOperatorShortName":"HOME" and wondered...

Does the phone read from the carrierdb.json in order to get the value to write to carrier string on the top bar?

So I edited the short name to Straight Talk, sent a new .json file to the phone, removed the HP webOS as carrier string patch and rebooted.

Nope the top bar said "HOME" for the carrier string (which I dislike aesthetically).

Put it all back as it was before I started this session.

I'm sure this isn't new for a lot of you... I find it helpful to "talk out loud" as I work and realize there are some other noobs going through similar who might find something useful here.

Now my brain is off on a tangent as I try to figure out where the phone gets the carrier string from...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    the IP address in your screencap resolves to rds-proxy.mycingular.net. Might want to use a name instead of an address to futureproof.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm... That's the way ST says to input it.

But when my SIM transfers from phone to phone it writes the IP name out. I'll check it out next transfer and write it down then copy it here for future reference.

Mobile Nations Devotee