Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    OK, I have an old Sprint Pixi-... It used to get so warm that I already have been through two backs, a touchstone and the stock. I was considering a Pre 2, as I don't use much data off WiFi and am looking at a GSM model. I just wondered if the back peels like the pixi did (after 7 months) and if not being overclocked or touchstoned does it get really warm? I want to get one off Amazon, but don't want to invest in more of the same in hardware troubles
  2. #2  
    Don't know if my opinion helps as I've only had my Pre 2 about 3 weeks...

    I haven't noticed it getting too hot. I'm running UberKernel and have it overclocked to 1.2 GHz. I've WiFied for a little while (about an hour at a stretch) with it in hand and didn't have problems. I recently used it WiFi tethered to my laptop for a few hours continuous and kept an eye on it.... Battery temp went only to about 112*F.

    When tethering or charging I leave the slider open for extra heat dissipation...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  3. #3  
    no back cover problems so far, ive had my gsm wifi only pre 2 for about 3/4 of a year. im overclocked to 1.2 max on a slightly tweaked screenstate 3 profile
    max ive seen is the unsettling 49 degrees Celsius, which is rare, and the limiting feature of another govenor seemed borked.

    it gets warm, but not too scary-ly.
  4. RoccoI's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #4  
    Haven't noticed any heat issues with mine either.
  5. imurrx's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    #5  
    While using navigation and charging it while overclocked to 1.2 ghz, hit 58c. I was a little concerned.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

    Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
  6. #6  
    I've never seen a problem with the Pre or Pre2 back peeling and we had 4 Pre users in my house at one point. They can get pretty warm under some circumstances but I've not seen it cause any trouble with the case.

    My Pre2 gets the warmest sitting on the Touchstone while tethering, which of course uses both the WiFi and cellular radio simultaneously. Not sure what temperature it hits but it's very, very warm. I haven't seen this cause any problems however.
  7. daglesj's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    #7  
    Hmmm cant understand why you'd want to overclock your Pre to 1.2Ghz. I haven't found running at 1Ghz to be a problem at all and then why are folks moaning about battery and heat when they have overclocked it.

    Some kit really benefits (PCs etc.) from overclocking but the Pre2? C'mon.

    Logic?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
    Hmmm cant understand why you'd want to overclock your Pre to 1.2Ghz. I haven't found running at 1Ghz to be a problem at all and then why are folks moaning about battery and heat when they have overclocked it.

    Some kit really benefits (PCs etc.) from overclocking but the Pre2? C'mon.

    Logic?
    I've actually found that by tweaking settings through Govnah I have extended how long my battery lasts through the day... Yep I'm overclocked at times but not screaming along at 1.2 GHz all the time. Manual control is a blessing so long as you make sure the fail safes are working and that the CPU throttles down as required... I've been monitoring temperatures off and on for battery and CPU. So far so good.

    A 20% increase at peak load isn't outrageous, IMHO and it helps with multitasking, web browsing, etc.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  9. RoccoI's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #9  
    Explain more on these tweaks. I'm not overclocked but would like to know what tweaks you made to increase battery life.

    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I've actually found that by tweaking settings through Govnah I have extended how long my battery lasts through the day... Yep I'm overclocked at times but not screaming along at 1.2 GHz all the time. Manual control is a blessing so long as you make sure the fail safes are working and that the CPU throttles down as required... I've been monitoring temperatures off and on for battery and CPU. So far so good.

    A 20% increase at peak load isn't outrageous, IMHO and it helps with multitasking, web browsing, etc.
  10. #10  
    Under Govnah tap Profile, tap Advanced Settings, tap CPU Frequency...

    There are a whole list of settings there.

    Min Freq set to 150 MHz
    Powersave Bias was the big one, IMHO.... I set it to 10 (out of 1,000) stock is 0
    Screenstate set to enable and Screen Off Max Freq set to 300 MHz

    Make sure the Max Temp and Battery Low limits are in place...

    That was it really.

    IDK if all that is enabled under the Default Profile with UberKernel... I'm using the OnDemandTcl Profile.

    To be fair it is a small, but appreciable difference. Maybe an extra hour or two depending on how heavy my use of the phone and web.

    BTW - Did you ever get that Mugen 1400 battery???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  11. #11  
    Ooops... Forgot to say:

    When you go into the settings, tap the help (?) icon and every setting is highlighted, then a tap on a setting category brings up a dialog to explain what each does.

    Also under Govnah tap Profile, tap Advanced Settings, tap TCP Congestion. I tried all those options and tested them with the netspeed app and Westwood seemed to yield the best results. Optimising web speed also helps with battery drain.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  12. RoccoI's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #12  
    Thanks RumoredNow. I'll try it out when I get home from work.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccoI View Post
    Thanks RumoredNow. I'll try it out when I get home from work.
    Be sure to recheck your Govnah settings after a reboot... I just rebooted after changing my boot screen images and the Govnah settings had reverted to stock.

    But my glowing Tux with palm written underneath looks cool when I boot up.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  14. #14  
    Today in my Govnah settings I lowered my CPU Voltage and System Voltage settings. I just nudged them down slightly (about 2-3 v for each category). Charging now.... Temp on the touchstone seems decreased. I usually keep the slider open to dissipate heat when charging. 98% charged and the battery temp is only 36*C/97*F. I;m pretty sure that is about 2 full Centigrade degrees less than before.

    I'll report back more here in a couple days about temps/performance/battery life/etc...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Today in my Govnah settings I lowered my CPU Voltage and System Voltage settings. I just nudged them down slightly (about 2-3 v for each category). Charging now.... Temp on the touchstone seems decreased. I usually keep the slider open to dissipate heat when charging. 98% charged and the battery temp is only 36*C/97*F. I;m pretty sure that is about 2 full Centigrade degrees less than before.

    I'll report back more here in a couple days about temps/performance/battery life/etc...
    OK so I set everything back to stock for the OnDemandTcl profile voltage-wise. The phone acted a bit laggy and troubled...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee

Posting Permissions