Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    So I just got a Rogers pre 2. Really like webos, reminds me of the os on the playbook.
    Only thing I find is the power button is hard to press.

What are the must have apps?

I'm coming from a samsung S2, still have it, trying this out.
    If I like it, then I'll be selling my android.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    You want to first install Preware. That is a program that opens access to a whole world of homebrewed apps and patches. I have always been an overclocker, so I got my Pre 2 overclocked to 1.2 ghz.

I also have turned off GPS because it will chew your batter fast.

Also, look at the threads in the Touchpad forms to install some custom patches to speed up and smooth the system such as muffle system logging, Remove dropped packet, and a few others.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccoI View Post
    So I just got a Rogers pre 2. Really like webos, reminds me of the os on the playbook.

For me, the standard apps do just about all I need from my Pre2.

The few utilities apps I have are:

Facebook
    Party sign
    Aniweather
    Scancode
    Comics

The rest are mostly games (many being free) and here are my favourites (not in any particular order)
    - marking * next to the very favourites ones
    Spades*
    Checkers
    Reversi
    Dead Runner*
    Ground Effect*
    Glow Hockey*
    Super Jump*
    WoodEdnigma*
    Tradewinds2
    Worms*
    Sparkle*
    Galcon*
    Virus Defense
    Defensive Warfare
    GRaveDefense HD*
    No Gravity
    Plasma Cannon*
    Pribagge*
    Quell
    Fall-E
    Cosmic Nitro

Welcome, your gonna love this OS.
    1. Preware is a must; read the forums & wiki's. They will explain how to get everything on your phone & tablet.
    2. Uberkernal to overclock
    3.Govnah to compliment uberkernal
    4. Tweaks to improve your ability to customize
    5. Patches:
    a. Ubercalander.. Awesome
    b. Charging alert vibrate only...sound gets annoying
    c. Advanced system menu... All kinds of good modifiers
    d. Unhide dev mode... Makes it eaĤsier than having to write out "webos20090606" every time you want to use webos quick install.
    e. Save/ Restore.. Save your info when you doctor or update.
    Start w these and dive right into webos. Oh, BTW webos was the original.. The playbook "borrowed" heavily. Consider donating to the dev's if your pleased. Enjoy
    Me too

New

To

Pre 2

Got Preware installed and definitely see the advantages. Installed UberKernel and Govnah, overclocking ATM with the OnDemandTcl 1200 profile. A few patches and homebrew apps. It's nice having options for sure.

I'll be checking back on this thread to see what veterans suggest.

+1 Thanks to Roccol for starting the thread.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Way ahead of me, I haven't done anything yet. I'll start with preware.
    Install advanced patches. Disable lightbar, virtual keyboard
    Way ahead of me, I haven't done anything yet. I'll start with preware.
    Read that wiki... I did the install through Windows 7 and definitely benefited from the step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Install advanced patches. Disable lightbar, virtual keyboard
    Hmmm... Lightbar? Is that the indicator in the gesture area? I like having it on.

I don't think I have VKB even installed. Is that stock in the pkg for Preware? One of the reasons I like the Pre so much is I am definitely a QWERTY kinda guy. If VKB is enabled it is just a waste for me as I won't use it. Guess I should poke at my Preware some more and spend less time reading the Mujen 1400 mAh Battery thread.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Read that wiki... I did the install through Windows 7 and definitely benefited from the step by step.

Hmmm... Lightbar? Is that the indicator in the gesture area? I like having it on.

I don't think I have VKB even installed. Is that stock in the pkg for Preware? One of the reasons I like the Pre so much is I am definitely a QWERTY kinda guy. If VKB is enabled it is just a waste for me as I won't use it. Guess I should poke at my Preware some more and spend less time reading the Mujen 1400 mAh Battery thread.
    Yes. The patch makes it come on only when you are doing something instead of aways on when an app is full screen. This behaviors makes it look broke to me and others. Still works for gestures and notifications. But if you like it like that then no worries.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Where is this wiki?

I don't think I have VKB even installed. Is that stock in the pkg for Preware?
    Just to clarify. When you load Preware, it does not add anything except itself and its capabilities. (and it does not do anything when not loaded and running) Its main function is to provide you with the ability to freely install and uninstall patches and Homebrew applications.
    Where is this wiki?
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

This is what I found after reading a few threads and Google searching...

Thanx, johncc, I was pretty sure I didn't get any "extras" with preware outside of opening up the flexibility and extending the apps catalogs to homebrews. Always nice to have confirmation though. One outstanding thing about Preware (to me) is being able to set it to ignore anything which is specifically not for my device and then I don't have to scroll through tons of apps that won't fit or configure.

I may be a little slow, but I catch on after awhile. It's my first dance with webOS and I like her a lot. Had Android for a bit back in the donut days and have seen gingerbread in action a bit on others devices. That gal is getting waaaay too bloated to dance nimbly. I think I made the wise choice with Pre 2 and this forum really helped seal the deal. Like the OS, the people in the community seem user friendly.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

This is what I found after reading a few threads and Google searching...

Thanx, johncc, I was pretty sure I didn't get any "extras" with preware outside of opening up the flexibility and extending the apps catalogs to homebrews. Always nice to have confirmation though. One outstanding thing about Preware (to me) is being able to set it to ignore anything which is specifically not for my device and then I don't have to scroll through tons of apps that won't fit or configure.

I may be a little slow, but I catch on after awhile. It's my first dance with webOS and I like her a lot. Had Android for a bit back in the donut days and have seen gingerbread in action a bit on others devices. That gal is getting waaaay too bloated to dance nimbly. I think I made the wise choice with Pre 2 and this forum really helped seal the deal. Like the OS, the people in the community seem user friendly.
    Thanks for the link RumoredNow.
    Really like webos, reminds me of the os on the playbook.
    it should be the other way around

welcome, umm, preware is nice, the mojo patches, system optimization, muffle sys logging, etc

the advanced system patches

tweaks, uberkernel + govnah
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yes. The patch makes it come on only when you are doing something instead of aways on when an app is full screen. This behaviors makes it look broke to me and others. Still works for gestures and notifications. But if you like it like that then no worries.
    I don't know how I didn't know about this patch, installing now! I hate the light bar always being on. So much so that I minimize apps to turn it off.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I don't know how I didn't know about this patch, installing now! I hate the light bar always being on. So much so that I minimize apps to turn it off.
    Ok, got preware installed. Worked great.
    Where do I find the light bar?
    Also is there a patch to smooth the SMS app?
    Depends on what version of webOS you're running. If 2.1 just search in list of everything. If 2.2.4 then you need to install the 2.2.3 feed to get disable lighters patch.

To do this go to the dropdown menu/manage feeds/ scroll to bottom where it says add feed/type the address of the 2.2.4 patches feed but substitute 2.2.3 for the 2.2.4 and give it a name. Then update feeds
    Ok, got preware installed. Worked great.
    Congrats, Roccol. Glad to hear it went well.

This thread has a good title and might help others just getting into Pre 2 and webOS so I'll keep posting questions here rather than starting new threads:

What Speed Tests are you using? Site or App based?
    What Carrier? What kind of data speeds are you clocking?

I keep reading about others using Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test but when I try it from my phone's browser it says I'm in Tampa, FL. My results are abysmal and I feel that is because of the displaced location - the site thinks I'm in central Florida when I am really in SW Missouri. I don't have location services switched off. When I use my apartment complex's wifi and my laptop speedtest.net has no trouble seeing where I am located. Is it a configuration problem between my phone and the site which I can fix?

I also have been using the Net Speed app from the Palm app feed. The display is very basic and says nothing about location detected... But I know it uses location services from the app description. On Straight Talk I have 3g lit up and usually about 3 bars of signal strength. I'm clocking up to about 850kbs download. I tried to get some complete numbers just now, but it's raining pretty hard and my return wasn't so good (still better than a good weather day test from speedtest.net though).

What are expected speeds? What are you getting for reports? Are there tricks to optimize data speed?

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    When you open speedtest.net, and start the scan, you have the ability to pick what server that you are testing to/from. Try moving the map around to your general area, and then try picking a close city. I had a similar issue on my Pre3, and that seemed to fix the problem.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Thanx, sledge.

The weather has cleared a bit and the Net Speed app just returned:
    Download 1.0 mbs, Upload 45.2 kbs and Ping 303 ms

When I just opened speedtest.net it said I was in Oklahoma (closer), but I wasn't able to switch it to Springfield, MO. I'll keep trying... Based on (erroneous) OK location and using Springfield, MO server to send to/from I got:
    Download 1.09 mbs, Upload 0.11 mbs and Ping 321 ms

An unrealated question: Is there a patch to allow Pre 2 to charge while powered off? Mine boots up after connected to a touchstone or usb -> wall charging setup. I'd like to try charging from low battery (5% or less) to full charge while the phone is powered down, but don't seem to be able to do so. I'm trying to rehabilitate my used battery a little. Dr. Battery reports it at 95% health and 1093 mAh maximum capacity...

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast